Odd problem with any *number. Voicemail virus?

Pegadonkey

This has come up twice now on my wife's droid. The first time we did a factory reset and yet it came back again. On the phone function, when a star * number is used, such as voice mail, keying in *## brings up an ad screen, something with a picture of flowers... but no call. It simply goes to a mostly blank screen with an ad. Called verizon last time, went through troubleshooting and factory reset, the problem went away. This was two weeks ago, and now it's back. Any help or advice would be appreciated. The virus scan isn't picking this up at all...

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Virus scanners are a waste of time (for now). There has only been 1 confirmed virus on Android, and it is exclusive to Russian cell users. Have you installed any keyboards, dialers, etc? It sounds like an app issue to me.

OP
P

Pegadonkey

No keyboard apps, it seems somehow related to a wallpaper she installed. Even after the factory reset, when everything should have been blank and original, her wallpaper remained. I don't know if that's a part of it or if there's another app that she re-downloaded that is interfering. The verizon tech suggested that the problem may be in the wallpaper app. We didn't download it the second time, but the wallpaper and the problem returned.