Oh, no! I dropped my phone and killed it....

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Okay, so I really didn't panic when I dropped my phone on a concrete floor because of this awesome screen the Z Force has.. Well, the screen looks great, but it won't come on. I've got power there because I can feel that little vibration when I touch the fingerprint reader, but nothing happens. No sounds, can't get the flashlight to come on when I do that little karate chop move, nothing.
I plugged it into my laptop to see if I could, at least, back up some stuff from the concert we attended last night, but the laptop doesn't even see it.
Are there any secret button-pushing sequences to be able to do anything to try to bring this thing back to life, or at least make it visible on my laptop so I can get in there and grab some things?
At least I my watch is still connected to it so I can kinda communicate to the outside world while I figure out what I need to do *sigh*
I was not in the market, nor mood, for a new phone. I'm not a happy camper this morning.

mcraeh

Reaction score
That stinks! I can't help you fix yours but if you call Motorola they will sell you an out of warranty replacement for 150 dollars. I just did that with mine as I had problems with the display. They sent me a prepaid shipping label, I mailed it on a Tuesday, and then had the new phone by Friday.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
That stinks! I can't help you fix yours but if you call Motorola they will sell you an out of warranty replacement for 150 dollars. I just did that with mine as I had problems with the display. They sent me a prepaid shipping label, I mailed it on a Tuesday, and then had the new phone by Friday.

Thanks!
I need a replacement ASAP. Guess I'll be going to Verizon today. I was hoping to be able to transfer over some stuff on this phone to my laptop before doing so, but can't figure it out without a screen.

mcraeh

Reaction score
Thanks!
I need a replacement ASAP. Guess I'll be going to Verizon today. I was hoping to be able to transfer over some stuff on this phone to my laptop before doing so, but can't figure it out without a screen.
I hope they can help recover your stuff. I did actually get a Z2 force that my husband found for sale on Facebook of all places. I do really like it. The refurbished Z will be for the kiddo when she's old enough to have it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sorry to hear that @Gudasau , that stinks. It sounds like the drop may have knocked something loose inside the phone where the screen connects to the motherboard. I'm not sure there are any secret button combinations that might help that. I guess you could try holding the power button for 10 - 30 seconds and force a power-cycle reboot. Not sure that will help, and hopefully the phone doesn't stay dead during the process. It kind of sounds like a replacement from Moto might be the best option.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm sorry to hear that @Gudasau , that stinks. It sounds like the drop may have knocked something loose inside the phone where the screen connects to the motherboard. I'm not sure there are any secret button combinations that might help that. I guess you could try holding the power button for 10 - 30 seconds and force a power-cycle reboot. Not sure that will help, and hopefully the phone doesn't stay dead during the process. It kind of sounds like a replacement from Moto might be the best option.
Yeah, I'm not a very happy camper right now. I was able to power cycle, but still nothing. At least I have my watch to use for calls, notifications, and brief texts.
I don't have anything naughty on my phone, but I hate thinking about sending it somewhere without wiping it first. That kinda makes me queasy.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know what you mean. Hopefully you can find something soon and get you back up & running without spending a ton of money.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I know what you mean. Hopefully you can find something soon and get you back up & running without spending a ton of money.
Thanks @Sajo
I really don't have time right now to deal with setting up a new phone. That watched sucked up a lot of my time and now this LOL
It's a character builder, right?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Life always seems to throw something unexpected our way, when we least expect it and don't have time to deal with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Life always seems to throw something unexpected our way, when we least expect it and don't have time to deal with it.

Yep!
I was going to go ahead and upgrade to the Z2 since whatever I get needs to be financed and it's only $1.50 more a month, but it doesn't look like any are available locally unless I go with the beige one. I've always had black and not sure I would like a light colored phone. Guess I can't really be picky right now....
I'm sure I'll be posting questions and requesting reminders on how to set certain things up later today LOL

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Running a well-loved Turbo 2 for a couple of days.
After driving across town to a Verizon which had a black Z Force in stock, the guy told me my phone was covered under warranty and they would ship a replacement out to me at no charge... I don't know if that was a Motorola warranty or Verizon's. I guess I should have asked, but I didn't.
So, the awesome news is I get a replacement without having to buy out the balance of this dead phone and start another two years with another one.
The ugly news (for me) is that I have had to set up a phone, redo my watch, and pair the phone with my car -- to do it all again in a couple of days LOL
I may, or may not have dealt with this latest debacle after a long night at a concert and consuming a couple of beers. Yeah, like trying to be pleasant while dealing with a dead phone AND setting one up tonight.
All's good for now. Watch working, phone working, and I remembered to set up an alarm for morning! Yay me! :p

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I really didn't panic when I dropped my phone on a concrete floor because of this awesome screen the Z Force has.. Well, the screen looks great, but it won't come on. I've got power there because I can feel that little vibration when I touch the fingerprint reader, but nothing happens. No sounds, can't get the flashlight to come on when I do that little karate chop move, nothing.
I plugged it into my laptop to see if I could, at least, back up some stuff from the concert we attended last night, but the laptop doesn't even see it.
Are there any secret button-pushing sequences to be able to do anything to try to bring this thing back to life, or at least make it visible on my laptop so I can get in there and grab some things?
At least I my watch is still connected to it so I can kinda communicate to the outside world while I figure out what I need to do *sigh*
I was not in the market, nor mood, for a new phone. I'm not a happy camper this morning.
Happened to my husband but he has a Galaxy note 8. Verizon tech told him to push the power button simultaneously with the volume down button and hold it for 20 seconds and it goes to a recovery screen which tells you what to do to reboot. It worked when the Verizon tech did it to my husband's phone. Hope it works for you

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Running a well-loved Turbo 2 for a couple of days.
After driving across town to a Verizon which had a black Z Force in stock, the guy told me my phone was covered under warranty and they would ship a replacement out to me at no charge...

Glad to hear you were able to get a warranty replacement, good deal. And it's smart to keep your old Turbo 2 around as a spare. I always recommend that to family & friends, keep something around as a spare for "rainy days". With 4 smart phones in my household, I keep 3 old phones as spares. They may not be in the best shape cosmetically, but they are functional. :D

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
So, this morning my broken Z started playing it's annoying alarm at 5am. I had no way to shut it off, so I grabbed it and ran across the house to the laundry room where I left it locked up behind a closed door. I arrived home tonight at 6pm to find it still going strong! Should I mention today was my husband's day off and he was doing his laundry?
It's nearly two hours later and it's still going LOL