[OPINION] Asus Transformer Book Duet

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;v25-796Ybj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v25-796Ybj0[/video]​

The new Asus Transformer Book Duet is an interesting creature in that it can go from Windows 8 to Android literally at the flip of a switch (actually button, but who's paying attention). Press the OS switch button on the Duet’s keyboard dock or tap the app on the touchscreen and it takes approximately 4 seconds to make the jump. Thanks to the Duet’s Intel Core i7 processor the Duet is plenty speedy. A list of other features show this ASUS as quite the capable 2-in-1 device. A little more detail from their presser reveals:

ASUS Transformer Book Duet (TD300) delivers striking visuals on its 13.3-inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD IPS touchscreen display. This multi-touch display has a sensitivity and responsiveness that exceeds Microsoft’s requirements for Windows 8.1. For audio, it comes with ASUS SonicMaster technology for true-to-life sound through the tablet’s twin speakers.

In addition, Transformer Book Duet has a front-facing HD camera with a built-in digital mic for video chats. The tablet display has 128GB of SSD storage which can be supplemented by a 64GB Micro SD card, while the keyboard dock houses a 1TB hard disk drive. The dock is also home to USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, a LAN port, and HDMI 1.4 output with 1080p support. In terms of connectivity, ASUS Transformer Book T300 has 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 with EDR.

It looks to be a pretty incredible 2-in-1, but my problem lies in the choices of Operating Systems. Before anyone gets ahead of me I'd like to say that I love both Android and Windows 8. I own a Nexus Tablet and have been using Android since '09 with the OG Droid. I also own a Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook running Windows 8.1, so I'm very familiar with both OSs and appreciate them both equally. I also own a Lumia smartphone running Windows Phone and this is where my problem with the operating systems comes into play. As an Android user you will probably understand this issue I have with a Windows and Android duel boot machine.

I'm pretty much "locked" into the Windows 8 ecosystem. I use the word "locked" loosely because I'm really not locked into the ecosystem, I choose to use all the services just as I did when I was on Android. I can go back to Android in a matter of minutes without any real disruption, but why would I want to or need to? I have no real need to boot into Android. As a matter of fact, my tablet rarely gets any use beyond using Hangouts, so I just don't have the need for a dual boot of Android and Windows. Android/Ubuntu yes, Windows/Ubuntu yes, Android/Windows no.

This issue will be further exaggerated when it comes to a dual boot smartphone running both Android/Windows (if it ever happens). To fully enjoy either OS, you really have to jump right in and get wet. Having one foot in Android and one foot in Windows is castrating the experience. Either you're in or your out and most people are all in. Whether it's iOS, Android or Windows Phone, consumers are tied into one ecosystem. In theory it looks interesting, but in practice it falls way short. Perhaps it's just me. Perhaps there is a real market for Android and Windows running side by side with a press of a button or flick of a switch, but for me I'm just not seeing it right now. Android is quite capable of existing on it's own just as Windows (Phone) is capable of doing all the lifting on it's own.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the future of dual booting smartphones, laptops and Ultrabooks.

ASUS Press release

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with CK on this one. Other than a few hardcore power-users, very few actual consumers would ever need to dual-boot between Android and Windows on a device. It's really just a neato whiz-bang "niche" feature rather than a really useful selling point.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This will change pretty quickly as phones become more powerful. You'll use android most of the time for your phone, but when you get to the office you'll connect a monitor and keyboard and launch windows to do your work.

I have too many apps and widgets I love on Android to ever be interested in Windows as a daily driver...but it would be nice to carry just a phone or tablet instead of a laptop (even my ultrabook).

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree. As someone in IT I would love to switch between the 2. I've been wanting a Windows Tablet just because I want to try one in my work environment. I have to stay current on this stuff. I don't want two tablets.
So just as Kodiak said: come into work and flip into Win8. Try it on my network, show my bosses "hey look what this tablet can do!"
Get home, flip to Android, Play BF4 Commander, Finish reading the Walking Dead comic in Google Books, catch up on the news with Feedly, play a little Osmosis with my buddy.

Do you really NOT see a need here??? :D

I hate to say it but sorry MS... Android is my preferred OS to have fun. I just want Windows to get work done... at work.

How much is this bad boy?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's so interesting to see this "Windroid" symbiosis come to fruition. I agree, Windows is for getting work done at work, Android is for everything else.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
If there is anything beneficial with a dual boot WinDroid machine, it would be to have the ability for BOTH systems utilize the other's applications, such as opening a .tar file in Win, or view a .doc file in Android, and so on, other than a co-mingling of 'services' the dual boot theme is pretty bland and lacks true benefit.
WiFi and Bluetooth are pretty easy to share OS differences, but until both platforms can share identical resources, and file systems, a dual-boot device has no real future (IMO).
My C7 Chromebook is fine without any Win OS, and I enjoy its compact size and fairly excellent battery life. I was thinking of loading Chrumbuntu, but have held off until I see a real need.
As for my main system I use here, and for my business, I have dual boot, Win/Ubuntu, or WinBuntu if you please.
If I need to use ubuntu, I still need to restart the machine, I have no means of hot swapping OS on the go, so in actuality, it serves little purpose, if I need to restart, I could have simply brought the machine I needed, and left the boat anchor at home!
This is a bit like having a 4X4 and a car, towing the vehicle you are not using, while wasting resources in the process.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Great points on functionality CK...I like the idea of a dual boot tho but I can see where one OS may be used less than another or you would only use one to complete a task that you couldn't in the other (in that aspect, it would be nice as you don't have to leave one tab/laptop and go to another). Samsung was planning on releasing a dual boot tablet / laptop last year but it never came to light so it will be interesting to see this actually hit the market.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
CK, I suspect the price range to be anywhere from $479.00, to the Stratosphere!
Only to keep us guessing about the retail cost, and possibly to keep the interest level of those fence sitters piqued.

I can imagine this being sold OS-free, but with 6 SD card slots, so people can use those Intel SD cardputers!
Now THAT, would be a handy tool for everybody!
Large capacity storage, 16 GB of RAM, and any OS you wish to run....on ONE platform!
AMAZING! (Cue the 'Sham-WOW' peddler)