Overclocking

sk8

Reaction score
IT'S better than setcpu. Setup doesn't ramp up or down based on CPU load. Which saves your battery...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Not true. Set CPU has the same governors as the new kernels. Just choose interactive, conservative, ondemand, smartass and others.
The benefit of having in in the kernel is heresy one less program using RAM and causing potential force closes.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
IT'S better than setcpu. Setup doesn't ramp up or down based on CPU load. Which saves your battery...

Not true. Set CPU has the same governors as the new kernels. Just choose interactive, conservative, ondemand, smartass and others.
The benefit of having in in the kernel is heresy one less program using RAM and causing potential force closes.

Ummm the new kernel doesn't use different governers... it uses smartass all the time.

SetCPU doesn't have governors. The kernel does. Choosing different governors does help a little bit but it's limited... You can't set up any profile in SetCPU that can ramp up AND down based on the CPU load.

thunderboltglass

Reaction score
God I'm using the 1.8 ghz kernel and the new das bam Rom and i have for once had 4G on all day and have used my phone constantly and have gotten great battery life and had the phone on for 9hrs and still have almost half of ky battery life.

sk8

Reaction score
@twix
Set CPU let's you setup profiles and choose a governor. The new kernel just eliminates the need to setup profiles and governors . That's my understanding of the setcpu and governors that were from koush, drod brought it to the dx and was incorporated to setcpu so you didn't need to set them through terminal .

Its TwiX

Reaction score
I understand that.... But it doesn't ramp up and ramp down when needed or not needed....like I said before..

jskyler91

Reaction score
drod_kernel1.5ghz.zip - this is the 1.5Ghz

drod_kernel.zip - this is the 1.8Ghz

drod_kernel1.9ghz.zip - this is the 1.9Ghz

Let me know if people are still having issues getting access to these files. If you are I can try a different file share website. Any suggestions on a site that may work better??

Not sure why, but I am getting like sub 2000 quadrants with the 1.9 ghz kernal. I got 3000 with the 1.8 ghz kernal, I have set cpu set for performance and I have maxed out both bars. ANy idea why I am getting such mediocre scores with such a powerful kernal?

bookie

Reaction score
drod_kernel1.5ghz.zip - this is the 1.5Ghz

drod_kernel.zip - this is the 1.8Ghz

drod_kernel1.9ghz.zip - this is the 1.9Ghz

Let me know if people are still having issues getting access to these files. If you are I can try a different file share website. Any suggestions on a site that may work better??

Not sure why, but I am getting like sub 2000 quadrants with the 1.9 ghz kernal. I got 3000 with the 1.8 ghz kernal, I have set cpu set for performance and I have maxed out both bars. ANy idea why I am getting such mediocre scores with such a powerful kernal?

Because after a while the high powered kernels start to lag. Plus every processor is different.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
^ This. Especially with the different processors. Yours may be more stable at a lower clock speed. Plus, if you set your governor to performance, you only need to raise the max speed as performance is designed to stay at that speed.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

affliction716

Reaction score
Yeah. Bookie is right. Some thunderbolts will react different with certain kernels. My quadrant scores jumped to around 3100 after flashing Liquids new Rom and the 1.9Ghz

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt running Liquid v1.0 with drods 1.9Ghz kernel.

pcm2a

Reaction score
I got a question/problem about the kernels. I flashed the 1.5 and I can set my max speed to anything up to 1.5. I can use System Panel to watch the cpu moving to different speeds as it needs to.

Next I flashed the 1.8 kernel and the cpu says at 1.8 100% of the time. I am set to ondemand in setCpu, and I also tried other modes. It's like tha t1.8 kernel is locking me into 1.8.

I'm going to try the 1.9 and get back to everyone. My goal is to run at 1.401 but be able to crank it up to impress the ladies.

Update:
The 1.9 kernel works great.
Quadrant of 2842 @ 1.96ghz (performance mode)
Quadrant of 2312 @ 1.38ghz (ondemand mode)

Last edited:

jskyler91

Reaction score
I got a question/problem about the kernels. I flashed the 1.5 and I can set my max speed to anything up to 1.5. I can use System Panel to watch the cpu moving to different speeds as it needs to.

Next I flashed the 1.8 kernel and the cpu says at 1.8 100% of the time. I am set to ondemand in setCpu, and I also tried other modes. It's like tha t1.8 kernel is locking me into 1.8.

I'm going to try the 1.9 and get back to everyone. My goal is to run at 1.401 but be able to crank it up to impress the ladies.

Update:
The 1.9 kernel works great.
Quadrant of 2842 @ 1.96ghz (performance mode)
Quadrant of 2312 @ 1.38ghz (ondemand mode)

How are you guys receiving such high quadrant scores? I am getting sub 2000 on my 1.8 ghz kernal. Is my phone not actually overclocking?

zxsix

Reaction score
Is the stock kernel available in a .zip file for flashing via recovery?
Meaning if I run these OC kernels, then decide to go back to factory stock, is the only way to restore a nandroid backup or is there a stock kernel file I can flash over the top of these OC'd ones?

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Is the stock kernel available in a .zip file for flashing via recovery?
Meaning if I run these OC kernels, then decide to go back to factory stock, is the only way to restore a nandroid backup or is there a stock kernel file I can flash over the top of these OC'd ones?

The stock kernel is available in ROM manager.