Phone storage

mikecolorama

Reaction score
Last night I decided to flash UD2.5 (i had to flash my back up because of the constant FC's on UD) and noticed that my phones internal storage had almost doubled compared to MIUI. Any ideas as to why there is such a big difference?

Even after reinstalling all my apps on UD, I still had twice the room left.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

napes22

Reaction score
I've actually noticed that on my phone I have far much less space on 12.11 than I did on 12.03 after restoring my apps.

longrifle325

Reaction score
Did you wipe? I flash multiple roms as they come out. Never had a problem with any force close issues after wiping and run fix permissions once all apps installed.
As far as UD's free space, i couldn't tell you, but I'm loving his roms... good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Last night I decided to flash UD2.5 (i had to flash my back up because of the constant FC's on UD) and noticed that my phones internal storage had almost doubled compared to MIUI. Any ideas as to why there is such a big difference?

I can tell you for sure that theme manager is the cause of this. MIUI used to have a very small memory footprint other than /system. /data was always plenty of space for apps, etc.

The theme manager places theme images in /data/system/theme....w/o touching the framework or app png files. For this reason....all of the theme image files are doubled in the system (essentially)

so...the bigger a theme gets...the more memory it takes up.

there is a theme currently in the works for miui that will not be applied through theme manager...instead will be a recovery update.zip install that will replace the actual files in framework....as well as include themed apks as opposed to using theme manager (which is okay to use for themes that arent all that big).

I really like theme manager as it is much less work and makes theming much simpler, especially with all these MIUI weekly releases. The old way, although most efficient, takes up much less memory.

This is the downside of the D1. limited internal memory. I have never filled mine up though. If needed you can always do an apps2ext and move some apps to that partition.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
Did you wipe? I flash multiple roms as they come out. Never had a problem with any force close issues after wiping and run fix permissions once all apps installed.
As far as UD's free space, i couldn't tell you, but I'm loving his roms... good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
i did everything right. formated, wiped, new install, fixed permissions. i'm going to try 2.3 and install 2.5 over it. we'll see.

I can tell you for sure that theme manager is the cause of this. MIUI used to have a very small memory footprint other than /system. /data was always plenty of space for apps, etc.

The theme manager places theme images in /data/system/theme....w/o touching the framework or app png files. For this reason....all of the theme image files are doubled in the system (essentially)

there is a theme currently in the works for miui that will not be applied through theme manager...instead will be a recovery update.zip install that will replace the actual files in framework....as well as include themed apks as opposed to using theme manager (which is okay to use for themes that arent all that big).

I really like theme manager as it is much less work and makes theming much simpler, especially with all these MIUI weekly releases. The old way, although most efficient, takes up much less memory.

This is the downside of the D1. limited internal memory. I have never filled mine up though. If needed you can always do an apps2ext and move some apps to that partition.
any idea/more info on this theme? sounds good.

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score

The Theme Manager app is about 5MB, and most themes max out at 5MB, so the average extra space taken by the new theming system is about 10MB altogether.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My point is theme manager doesn't replace png files it adds them. My theme is 7 mb

Sent from the shadows of Kuro

kyboy

Reaction score
I have got my S4 up and running and added an SD card for storage and to move the apps that I can. One of the things I noticed on the phone storage is about 6GB of miscellaneous storage. Any idea what this is. Can I delete any of them?
yhy5yvu2.jpg
e8ajeru3.jpg
pa2ybyqa.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kyboy

Reaction score
Thanks. I really wasn't sure since it said miscellaneous files.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk