Phone will not light back up when incoming text

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
Is there a way to get my smartphone to light up when I receive a text message the way it does when there is an incoming phone call??
I only ask because I often do not realize that I got a text message until hours later because the home screen went dark, and there is only a small vibration / low chirp sound when a text is received, both of which are very easy to miss. Is there a setting that can be changed, or an addon that can be gotten to make the phone come out of sleep mode when an incoming texts hits??
Thanks in advance!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum. It would be helpful to know which phone you have. Many Android phones have different settings based on the manufacturer and their implementation of Android.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
Welcome to the Forum. It would be helpful to know which phone you have. Many Android phones have different settings based on the manufacturer and their implementation of Android.

LG LML212VL.... Android 8.1.0....

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Have you tried changing the notifications to something louder than a chirp and there might be a setting for repeat notification

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
Have you tried changing the notifications to something louder than a chirp and there might be a setting for repeat notification
Yes, I went through the Notifications settings page, and everything that is there is checked, but I could not see anything about repeating.... :confused:
Also, it is not that it does not make a noise when I get a text, it is that unlike when there is an incoming call, the screen does not come back on, and I am often doing work that is very loud, and causes vibrations, or do not have the phone in my pocket all day long, which means that a small vibration, or soft beep sound is missed. :(
If the screen would light up, that would be a more useful indicator of an incoming message I needed to respond to!!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes, I went through the Notifications settings page, and everything that is there is checked, but I could not see anything about repeating.... :confused:
Also, it is not that it does not make a noise when I get a text, it is that unlike when there is an incoming call, the screen does not come back on, and I am often doing work that is very loud, and causes vibrations, or do not have the phone in my pocket all day long, which means that a small vibration, or soft beep sound is missed. :(
If the screen would light up, that would be a more useful indicator of an incoming message I needed to respond to!!

Did you check the text app setting..you should be able to change sound to something louder ..I’m not familiar with your phone but should have separate sound for text

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
Try under system settings>sounds and notifications to change to notification sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-064905_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-064905_Settings.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 71

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I believe that's a. LG Rebel 4. Have you tried turning on Lock screen notifications? I found this on a TracFone help page:

Can I change what notifications appear on the lock screen?

Yes, you can select which applications can show notifications on the LG L44VL by first tapping the "Apps" icon on the main screen. Then, tap the “Settings” icon. Tap “Sound & notification.” Locate and tap “Lock screen.” Here, you can select to show all notifications or to hide all notifications.
If you tap “Apps” from the "Sound & Notification" menu, you can select an app and set individual notification settings for it.

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
Did you check the text app setting..you should be able to change sound to something louder ..I’m not familiar with your phone but should have separate sound for text
Yes, I tried the Messages app. settings, and again they are all checked as on, but there is nothing there about separate sound for texts....
Also checked in Settings, the Notifications tab, but there is only the option to check on or off certain applications, and Messages is checked on.
In any case, thanks for responding, and I have resigned myself that this is a problem I cannot solve now!! 😭

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
I believe that's a. LG Rebel 4. Have you tried turning on Lock screen notifications? I found this on a TracFone help page:

Yes, you can select which applications can show notifications on the LG L44VL by first tapping the "Apps" icon on the main screen. Then, tap the “Settings” icon. Tap “Sound & notification.” Locate and tap “Lock screen.” Here, you can select to show all notifications or to hide all notifications.
If you tap “Apps” from the "Sound & Notification" menu, you can select an app and set individual notification settings for it.

I went into Lock Screen settings, and found Lock Screen Notifications, but the only thing you can change there is once again a check box to either on or off, and nothing more can be set there!!

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL

I can access Settings by clicking the Tools icon on Home Screen, but there is nothing in there that says 'Sound & Notification'?? Maybe you are thinking of a different version of Android than mine!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you turn it On you should see new notifications on your lock screen. That's when the screen partially "lights up" to show you that you have something new.

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
Try under system settings>sounds and notifications to change to notification sound.
As I replied to the last post about this, there is nothing in Settings called 'Sounds & Notifications'!!

OP
zlloyd1

zlloyd1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG LML212VL
If you turn it On you should see new notifications on your lock screen. That's when the screen partially "lights up" to show you that you have something new.

I do not really want it to 'partially light up' as that is not something I will notice, I want the screen to completely come back on!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do not really want it to 'partially light up' as that is not something I will notice, I want the screen to completely come back on!!
I don't think that's possible on modern Android