Photos in text messages appear as videos?

Eschurr

Reaction score
I was recently sent photos in text messages from two different people (one iPhone, one BlackBerry) and they showed up as a video (with a "play" arrow). the negative consequence of this is that i can't zoom in on the photos.

anyone know why or what can be done?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was one of my biggest pet peeves with my last two Samsung phones - including the S3. I don't believe there is any way around it (though as soon as I say that, someone will come in and tell me how! :)).

I ended up using GO SMS instead of the stock messaging system strictly because of that - my wife sends me pics of our kids all the time, and that bugged the heck out of me.

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
That was one of my biggest pet peeves with my last two Samsung phones - including the S3. I don't believe there is any way around it (though as soon as I say that, someone will come in and tell me how! :)).

I ended up using GO SMS instead of the stock messaging system strictly because of that - my wife sends me pics of our kids all the time, and that bugged the heck out of me.

thanks for the suggestion -- do you just use it in place of the standard text messaging system and everything works as planned?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion -- do you just use it in place of the standard text messaging system and everything works as planned?

Pretty much - it used to be you would have to manually disable notifications in the stock messaging app (so you wouldn't double up), but I believe GO does that for you now. GO has a TON of settings you can tweak, including some related to that.

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
Pretty much - it used to be you would have to manually disable notifications in the stock messaging app (so you wouldn't double up), but I believe GO does that for you now. GO has a TON of settings you can tweak, including some related to that.

just installed and my initial reaction is THANK YOU. Looks like it will do everything I want! Already i like my S3 better!

ICE17N24

Reaction score
I wanted to know the same thing. It is aggravating. I really don't want to switch messaging so if anyone knows the answer I sure would like to know.

Stock Galaxy S III i535

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I was recently sent photos in text messages from two different people (one iPhone, one BlackBerry) and they showed up as a video (with a "play" arrow). the negative consequence of this is that i can't zoom in on the photos.

anyone know why or what can be done?
FWIW, if the photo is sent with no accompanying text, the stock app handles it correctly (treats it as a photo rather than a video) and you can zoom it. Still annoying enough that I'm considering using a different msg app :angry:

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I just long press on them,add to sd storage, and go into gallery and once there you can zoom all you want..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
i installed the GO SMS app and it works great. the only thing i'm not sure it supports is having the text read outloud during driving mode.