Post 7.0 Battery Life

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, but I feel it's not as descriptive (informative). Maybe it's me...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I agree. When Android OS and Android System are so high in the list it's hard to tell what's using battery. Then I tap Android System to see the CPU packets and Native Drop Box is number 2, and I don't use Drop Box...Never have. I think Nougat is not as "battery friendly" as Google hoped it would be. Just my 2 cents though.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm having exactly the opposite experience. I think battery life is significantly better after N. I'm 5 hours off of a full charge and I'm still sitting at 90%. Not heavy use, but a bunch of texting and downloading a number of updates. I would get about 36 hours on M, but now I easily get 48. I put it on the charger last night after two days of use with still 33% remaining. I have rebooted at least a couple of times since the update and I cleared the cache yesterday with no change in battery function before or after.
With my battery life being so good and yours being lousy, I have to think that you guys that are having worse battery life are having app issues. Maybe an app isn't playing nice with the update, but was doing fine on M. Maybe an app was good for a few days after the update, but is now struggling after being used on N for a while. What is you awake time compared to screen on time? I wish I had more help to offer. Good luck.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That is good help to offer. Knowing that someone is getting better battery life does help. It at least starts us thinking "maybe it's not the OS update, maybe it is an app" kind of thoughts. Sharing experiences is always helpful.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm having exactly the opposite experience. I think battery life is significantly better after N. I'm 5 hours off of a full charge and I'm still sitting at 90%. Not heavy use, but a bunch of texting and downloading a number of updates. I would get about 36 hours on M, but now I easily get 48. I put it on the charger last night after two days of use with still 33% remaining. I have rebooted at least a couple of times since the update and I cleared the cache yesterday with no change in battery function before or after.
With my battery life being so good and yours being lousy, I have to think that you guys that are having worse battery life are having app issues. Maybe an app isn't playing nice with the update, but was doing fine on M. Maybe an app was good for a few days after the update, but is now struggling after being used on N for a while. What is you awake time compared to screen on time? I wish I had more help to offer. Good luck.
Good to know someone's having luck with their battery. Here's where I'm sitting today.
c0755d45f3e1c0ad25f124e3e3089e77.jpg

Let me know if I need to share anything else.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Gudasau,
What does your awake line look like on your history details screen? With you using your battery mod, it's a bit hard to look just at that screen and get much info. The general numbers look about right...screen use is at the top, followed by android system and android OS, both at about 1/2 of the screen use. Still could have an app keeping your phone awake a lot of the time.

Last edited:
OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. When Android OS and Android System are so high in the list it's hard to tell what's using battery. Then I tap Android System to see the CPU packets and Native Drop Box is number 2, and I don't use Drop Box...Never have. I think Nougat is not as "battery friendly" as Google hoped it would be. Just my 2 cents though.

I don't use Drop Box either, but it shows up in my list as well under Android System. It's not near the top, but more like half way down the list. I don't know, but does it list the packets in order of how much battery each uses, how often it accesses it, order of access, or something else?

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That is good help to offer. Knowing that someone is getting better battery life does help. It at least starts us thinking "maybe it's not the OS update, maybe it is an app" kind of thoughts. Sharing experiences is always helpful.

My battery life seems to be close to what jkaod is getting. I got my phone with marshmallow on it and I'm using it more now with Nougat because I'm home now and I have time to play with it . I still get great battery life. I clear cache every week or so.. Maybe that's what the difference is and i don't keep apps that I really don't use.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't use Drop Box either, but it shows up in my list as well under Android System. It's not near the top, but more like half way down the list. I don't know, but does it list the packets in order of how much battery each uses, how often it accesses it, order of access, or something else?
I'm not sure about that. I might have to research that if I have some free time.

After another forced reboot last night and charging all night I have great battery life again today and Voice Mail is not killing it. For me, no more reboots or cache clears unless I absolutely have to. I'm just gonna charge every night and use it until it forces me to turn it off for some reason.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
You have the magic touch Sajo. Glad you had success. It's amazing how we can fix things (or screw things up) by doing nothing out of the ordinary.

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
My battery life seems to be close to what jkaod is getting. I got my phone with marshmallow on it and I'm using it more now with Nougat because I'm home now and I have time to play with it . I still get great battery life. I clear cache every week or so.. Maybe that's what the difference is and i don't keep apps that I really don't use.

That's really funny. I do just about the opposite and have the same results. I almost never clear the cache...maybe once every 2-3 months and I have a ton of apps that I almost never use. I'm lazy, but it works for me.:D

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's really funny. I do just about the opposite and have the same results. I almost never clear the cache...maybe once every 2-3 months and I have a ton of apps that I almost never use. I'm lazy, but it works for me.:D
I'm lazy too, but is there a lazy way to clear the cache? I go to settings, storage, internal storage, apps, then I clear cache on each app.. Usually gets down to 12 mb... Each app. Takes a while, I do it while I watch tv, when the commercials come on. Keeps me out of trouble( lol)

OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Last time I did that was..hmmmm let me think....never. I just clear the cache partition through recovery every once in a great while. If an app starts acting stupid, then I slap it down by clearing the app cache for that particular app. Funny how we all have different ways of doing phone maintenance and most of them seem to work.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Last time I did that was..hmmmm let me think....never. I just clear the cache partition through recovery every once in a great while. If an app starts acting stupid, then I slap it down by clearing the app cache for that particular app. Funny how we all have different ways of doing phone maintenance and most of them seem to work.
That's why it's good to share ideas.. When mine doesn't work, I'll come find you! Thanks

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The main difference (that I am aware of) between clearing the cache partition from Recovery and clearing the App Cache is clearing the system cache from Recovery forces a reboot also. There's probably a little more involved that I am not aware of.