Power button broken..help please?

dmilota

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. I have an OG Droid running LGB 2.4.
My power button is permanently depressed, it wont work the screen off or on anymore, and I I'm holding out on upgrading currently. I was wondering if there's a way to swith the power button operation with the camera button? ATM I have the volume buttons set to wake the phone, but I'm worried if my phone shuts off I wont be able to turn it back on :*( i think the volume buttons only wake it if its already on...is there any option/setting that will make it so the camera or even volume button will turn the phone on from being off, so I don't have to use the power Button on the top of the phone ? Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks In advance!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I read about something like this, but it might have only been to remap the wake function to the volume rockers as you have now. I wish I would have printed out the post, I think it was over at cyanogenmod forums.

If you can't find it, let me know.

EDIT: Nope it was here. A quick google search for "remap power key on droid" gave this thread as the top hit:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...oke-want-remap-camera-button.html#post1438731

Note though that one poster found it wonky.

good luck

p.s., BEFORE you make this edit, make SURE you perform a nandroid backup FIRST!

Last edited:

NUNNYA

Reaction score
Yes the link teddy mentioned is just what I need.The power button broke shortly after my volume rocker on my Droid and I'm just not ready to let go of it,I love my Droid . I am rooted and have everything I need to remap to my camera button but it wont let me. When I get to / sholes-keypad.kl it wont let me open and says its not a valid PDF document. Can anyone tell me what I need to make it work! Thanks

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hi nunnya. For editing this and many other files used on our android phones, notepad++ is a very valuable tool. It is free software and a google search for "notepad++" will take you right to it.

good luck

NUNNYA

Reaction score
Hey Ted,once again your here to save me. I swear you should just make your own forum :)......anyways, I also seen your response in the android forums about the zip. You know how tech savy I am so maybe you can explain to me how to do that. I will also get notepad++ and check that out, but what version? Thanks again.

Last edited:

NUNNYA

Reaction score
key 399 GRAVE
key 2 1 WAKE_DROPPED
key 3 2 WAKE_DROPPED
key 4 3 WAKE_DROPPED
key 5 4 WAKE_DROPPED
key 6 5 WAKE_DROPPED
key 7 6 WAKE_DROPPED
key 8 7 WAKE_DROPPED
key 9 8 WAKE_DROPPED
key 10 9 WAKE_DROPPED
key 11 0 WAKE_DROPPED
key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
key 230 SOFT_RIGHT WAKE
key 60 SOFT_RIGHT WAKE
key 107 POWER WAKE_DROPPED
key 62 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 229 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 59 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
key 228 POUND WAKE_DROPPED
key 227 STAR
key 231 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 61 CALL WAKE_DROPPED
key 232 DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED
key 108 DPAD_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED
key 103 DPAD_UP WAKE_DROPPED
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 105 DPAD_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 106 DPAD_RIGHT WAKE_DROPPED
key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE
key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE
key 116 POWER WAKE
key 211 FOCUS
key 212 CAMERA

key 16 Q WAKE_DROPPED
key 17 W WAKE_DROPPED
key 18 E WAKE_DROPPED
key 19 R WAKE_DROPPED
key 20 T WAKE_DROPPED
key 21 Y WAKE_DROPPED
key 22 U WAKE_DROPPED
key 23 I WAKE_DROPPED
key 24 O WAKE_DROPPED
key 25 P WAKE_DROPPED
key 26 LEFT_BRACKET WAKE_DROPPED
key 27 RIGHT_BRACKET WAKE_DROPPED
key 43 BACKSLASH WAKE_DROPPED

key 30 A WAKE_DROPPED
key 31 S WAKE_DROPPED
key 32 D WAKE_DROPPED
key 33 F WAKE_DROPPED
key 34 G WAKE_DROPPED
key 35 H WAKE_DROPPED
key 36 J WAKE_DROPPED
key 37 K WAKE_DROPPED
key 38 L WAKE_DROPPED
key 214 SEMICOLON WAKE_DROPPED
key 40 APOSTROPHE WAKE_DROPPED
key 14 DEL WAKE_DROPPED

key 44 Z WAKE_DROPPED
key 45 X WAKE_DROPPED
key 46 C WAKE_DROPPED
key 47 V WAKE_DROPPED
key 48 B WAKE_DROPPED
key 49 N WAKE_DROPPED
key 50 M WAKE_DROPPED
key 51 COMMA WAKE_DROPPED
key 52 PERIOD WAKE_DROPPED
key 53 SLASH WAKE_DROPPED
key 28 ENTER WAKE_DROPPED

key 56 ALT_LEFT WAKE
key 100 ALT_RIGHT WAKE
key 42 SHIFT_LEFT WAKE
key 54 SHIFT_RIGHT WAKE
key 15 TAB WAKE_DROPPED
key 57 SPACE WAKE_DROPPED
key 150 EXPLORER
key 155 ENVELOPE

key 12 MINUS WAKE_DROPPED
key 13 EQUALS WAKE_DROPPED
key 215 AT WAKE_DROPPED

Everything is in 2 columns so I just wanna make sure I get this right.
Power is in one column and wake in the other so when I change power wake (116)where do I put grave,in the first column and erase wake in the 2nd column?
Change focus(211) to power wake, power in 1st column and wake in 2nd?
and change camera (212) to power wake, power in 1st column and wake in 2nd?
It would really be a bummer if I bricked my phone so I want to be certain.

NUNNYA

Reaction score
oh jeez after I posted that it doesn't look its in 2 columns but it us on my phone. So does it matter where I put it?

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hmmm, are you trying to edit the file on your phone? You don't really want to do that AFAIK. You'll want to make a copy of it off your phone, do the edit then replace the existing one on your phone. It does seem like you have the right idea, you are showing the whole file, and all you need to do is edit these lines:

Code:
key [COLOR=#006666]116[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] POWER WAKE 
key [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]211[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] FOCUS 
key [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]212[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] CAMERA[/COLOR]

Changed them to:
[COLOR=#000000]key [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]116[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] GRAVE 
key [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]211[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] POWER WAKE 
key [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]212[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] POWER WAKE[/COLOR]

So when you get to the line where it says "key 116" replace "POWER WAKE" with "GRAVE", etc.

BUT FIRST, do you have a custom recovery installed on your phone? You say it's rooted, but I think we should make sure you have a means to make a backup first, just in case.

let me know.

p.s. I _almost_ do have my own forum site, well my own site anyways, lol.

Last edited:

NUNNYA

Reaction score
Ok I'm using smanager to open /sholes- keypad.kl and opening as text right? It says I only have permission to read file and asks if I want to create a local copy and edit or open directly. When I hit create copy,smanager forces closes on me everytime and will only let me open directly , maybe get another file manager? Or do I want to open as script/ executable, if so then what?
Or sounds like it might be easier to do it all from the computer ( well easy if you explain how lol)
Oh and I did just do a backup a few days ago on my backup root b/c I did a factory reset, should I backup again?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Maybe ill just do the zip. Can you explain it to me?

Yes, I think this would be best and easiest as well. And sorry, I only get thread reply notifications once a day, so my replies will be slow. That is because this is the slowest forum site in my world of all the various forums I visit in the whole world.

Anyways, we need to make sure you have a custom recovery and if so which one. When you said you made a backup on your backup root, how did you do that? More specifically was it a nandroid backup? A nandroid backup is like setting a restore point on your pc, however it is done while your phone is booted into recovery.

To manually boot your phone into recovery, slide open the keyboard with the phone off, then press and hold the 'x' key on the keyboard while you power the phone on. Then give me a description of what you see on the screen. It should be different than what you usually see. If it isn't try again.

Now if your power button is broken, to turn your phone off, pull the battery for a few seconds, then replace it. Slide out the keyboard and hold the 'x' key and plug the power cord into your phone while keeping the 'x' key pressed until your phone powers all the way up. If it boots into your regular system, do it over as you might not have kept the 'x' key depressed fully.

Let me know what you see, stock recovery is a triangle with a red cirle around it (or something like that, I haven't seem stock in years), custom recovery's will have text on the screen, if you get that tell me the color of the text and what it says at the very top.

Whew. Hope that's enough detail and info for this part.

NUNNYA

Reaction score
Sigh ......I'm down to trying your zip Ted, nothing else seems to work for me. I've tried to change the lines from the computer and not straight from my phone like you said. Problem is when I hook up to the computer I have no idea what to do or how to do it. I got notepad++ and installed to the computer ( which I'm assuming I use from the computer ) and, well can't work that either.
I know I'm really annoying with my stupid questions and I understand if you don't want to help anymore ( you've been a HUGE help thus far and I value your opinion ) but can u please tell me how to use your zip? I got a zip manager and unzipped with it from my phone, do I even need this ? If their is a helpful post or guide somewhere that you know of maybe you can point me in the right direction. I did read a lot, hoping to find something helpful so i didnt have to ask you.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well I will try. First off, try re-reading and answering my questions in the post just above yours. Second, you don't need a zip manager, you do not need to extract the file, in fact, don't do anything to it at all for now. Just leaave it where and as it is.

NUNNYA

Reaction score
Omg your post was not there yesterday and now it is , I thought u jst got fed up me lol guess it is slow....k ill read and let u know thanks

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well? Have you found out if you have stock recovery or which custom recovery you have? I'm trying to give you the steps slowly so as not to confuse you.