Problem with USB Storage / Random Restarts

tw15egan

Reaction score
Okay, So I recently switched over to CM, and I am running 6.1 RC2, with the Samsung Fascinate theme. Loving it so far. Only problem, when I go to turn off USB storage, my phone freezes, then I get the task manager thing pop up saying "system" blah blah blah wait force close report. ONLY happens after I select turn USB storage off!

I recently got a new 32gb SD Card, could this be causing problems? Would reinstalling CM help?

what should i do!!

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Okay, So I recently switched over to CM, and I am running 6.1 RC2, with the Samsung Fascinate theme. Loving it so far. Only problem, when I go to turn off USB storage, my phone freezes, then I get the task manager thing pop up saying "system" blah blah blah wait force close report. ONLY happens after I select turn USB storage off!

I recently got a new 32gb SD Card, could this be causing problems? Would reinstalling CM help?

what should i do!!

I had exactly the same issue with my 32GB card. The problem is that the droid doesn't have enough memory to load the FAT for the partition to scan it for errors. When it tries to mount it, it runs out of memory and everything falls apart. If you run adb logcat when you remount the card, see if you can see how space it is trying to allocate for the FAT.

My fix was to reformat the card with a larger cluser size, resulting in a smaller FAT, which made it able to fsck without a problem.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Ahh didn't even think about that, that makes sense. Let me run adb logcat and I'll get back to you.

OP
tw15egan

tw15egan

Reaction score
Yup, looks like thats the problem. Think you could guide me as to how to reformat it a specific way? Thanks!!

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Yup, looks like thats the problem. Think you could guide me as to how to reformat it a specific way? Thanks!!

I'll do you one better, I'll link you to the thread about it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/64557-reboot-preparing-sd-card.html

I've since re-partitioned my SD card using ROM Manager. I don't know what cluster size it uses by default for the fat partition, but my FAT is only 7.4MB. To check it, unmount the SD card (in Settings -> SD Card -> Unmount), go into terminal, and type "fsck_msdos /dev/block/mmcblk0" (or mmcblk0p1 if you have multiple partitions). It should list how much space it is trying to allocate for FAT. If the phone crashes/reboots after telling you that it's trying to allocate a very large number, that's a sign that you're seeing the same problem I was.

Last edited: