USB not working after flashing roms

Reaction score
I know this is a somewhat common problem but I think I might have actually damaged the hardware in this case and I'm wondering if there's a way to determine that; and if anyone has any advice (may have to return the droid if that's the case).

As far as I can tell I have the latest drivers / usb debug enabled, set to mass storage

After rooting and and trying out a few roms, I suddenly get no response at all when I connect via USB to my PC(Win7). Formerly I would get some sort of response from my computer (made a sound). I created a widget to enable USB storage because even when you set to USB storage under storage/menu/USB connection you still need that littlebutton to show up in the notification bar and it wasn't always doing that.

After getting into a bit of a snafu w/ CM9 I reinstalled it, and after that my battery wasn't charging when plugged in. I determined the USB cable was not working anymore so I purchased another charger. Now I can charge but USB connection gets no response from computer and enabling USB debugging / USB mass storage does nothing. If I use a rom other than CM and plug in/ enable mass storage it immediately switches off the mass storage and says "preparing internal storage."

Since the USB cable died like that I'm thinking I may have shorted something electricity-wise, although I can still charge the phone. I've reinstalled CM9 several times and tried other D4 roms but can't get any response from comp. Should I unroot & take the droid to Verizon or is there some setting deeper in the phone that I can mess with?

Thanks.

Last edited: