Problems after installation

Intoxikate

Reaction score
Ok so I should note that I went ahead and installed the cyanogen mod, but forgot to install the 3 fixes(gapps, sensor, and keyboard fix) after installing it. So now, I'm stuck with the phone that for some reason, CAN'T boot into recovery mode.

Is there a way to revert back to a previous backed up rom without using clockwork recovery? Also, can I install bootstrap recovery in this rom(I know the install thread in rootwiki specifies not to do that.)

rusty815

Reaction score
Did you try holding the power button when the phone is on and choosing to reboot into recovery? I believe that's the only way to get into cwm from cm, since there seems to be a problem with the rom manager.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL running Cyanogenmod!!!

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
Did you try holding the power button when the phone is on and choosing to reboot into recovery? I believe that's the only way to get into cwm from cm, since there seems to be a problem with the rom manager.

Not yet, but unfortunately, I don't have the phone to try that right now. I'll try it as soon as I get the chance. I've been told to flash the "Droid X (2nd init)" as opposed to the "Droid 2" version of clockwork in ROM manager as well. Does that sound right?

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
No do not use the DX Bootstrapper.

Is the "Droid X (2nd init)" from CWM considered the Bootstrapper? I thought Bootstrapper was another recovery while CWM was on it's own? So I shouldn't flash the "Droid X (2nd init) in ROM manager for my CWM version? If so, which one should I use? Or do I just try the "Reboot into Recovery" from the power button menu and that should work?

Asphyx

Reaction score
I didn't use the Rom Manager bootstrap. There was no support for D2G in it at the time.

There is a separate D2 bootstrapper that is more compatible!

I said to not use the DX version because CVPS said specifically NOT to use it for the DX install of CM7.

I am not sure what the reason for that was but I noted it.

I assume there was a good reason for it.

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
I didn't use the Rom Manager bootstrap. There was no support for D2G in it at the time.

There is a separate D2 bootstrapper that is more compatible!

I said to not use the DX version because CVPS said specifically NOT to use it for the DX install of CM7.

I am not sure what the reason for that was but I noted it.

I assume there was a good reason for it.

So the "Droid X (2nd init)" is considered the bootstrapper? Not CWM? IF so, could you link me to this correct D2 bootstrapper that you are referring to? Thanks.

Asphyx

Reaction score
LOL you are a bit confused...

The Bootstrapper is what is used to flash the ROMS.
CWM has one in the Rom Manager and another one specifically for the D2 in the market.

Search for Droid2 rcovery, you will find the one I'm talking about.

It's a paid product though.
But then again so is RM.

The 2nd Init is a trick that is implemented AFTER the bootstrapper has installed CM7.

Basically 1st Init runs off of read only memory so it can't be edited. 2nd Init hijacks and takes control of the first Init, Creates a new shadow drive (Semi-Copy of the Boot folder) with edited boot parameters, kills any proccesses the 1st Init may have run, and then uses the shadow drive (with custom boot sequence) to boot into system.

It is basically nothing more than a way to make a clean 1 PID (program ID) system to boot that uses a customizable shadow of a normal Init boot folder.
We can't edit the actual Init boot folder so we make a temporary one in RAM and boot from that which means we can edit and change the files run at boot.

You seem to be confusing the two.
The Bootstrapper really doesn't do much but give you an opportunity to flash files onto the phone at first boot. It does not really change the boot proccess, just interupts it enough to make a choice. This is why root is required to run one since you need to be able to write as root in order to flash the ROM.

Now that said, CM7 has recovery built into it!
So you really only need the Recovery (bootstrapper) to flash CM7 for the first time.
Once it's flashed in you no longer need to install any bootstrapper!

Just hold down the power button and select recovery.

Did that help at all?

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
LOL you are a bit confused...

The Bootstrapper is what is used to flash the ROMS.
CWM has one in the Rom Manager and another one specifically for the D2 in the market.

Search for Droid2 rcovery, you will find the one I'm talking about.

It's a paid product though.
But then again so is RM.

The 2nd Init is a trick that is implemented AFTER the bootstrapper has installed CM7.

Basically 1st Init runs off of read only memory so it can't be edited. 2nd Init hijacks and takes control of the first Init, Creates a new shadow drive (Semi-Copy of the Boot folder) with edited boot parameters, kills any proccesses the 1st Init may have run, and then uses the shadow drive (with custom boot sequence) to boot into system.

It is basically nothing more than a way to make a clean 1 PID (program ID) system to boot that uses a customizable shadow of a normal Init boot folder.
We can't edit the actual Init boot folder so we make a temporary one in RAM and boot from that which means we can edit and change the files run at boot.

You seem to be confusing the two.
The Bootstrapper really doesn't do much but give you an opportunity to flash files onto the phone at first boot. It does not really change the boot proccess, just interupts it enough to make a choice. This is why root is required to run one since you need to be able to write as root in order to flash the ROM.

Now that said, CM7 has recovery built into it!
So you really only need the Recovery (bootstrapper) to flash CM7 for the first time.
Once it's flashed in you no longer need to install any bootstrapper!

Just hold down the power button and select recovery.

Did that help at all?

Thank you for the clarification! As of yet, I can't try this until tonight when I get a hold of the phone, but I will, once I get it. Seeing as how I DID flash a cwm recovery with the built in ROM manager(used the Droid 2 version when prompted for which version to select), could I have messed up the inherent recovery that came with the CM7, or am I still ok? I can't even go into market to search for anything seeing as how as of right now, the market app isn't even available on the phone since the fix wasn't implemented. It's kinda stuck in limbo right now lol.

Asphyx

Reaction score
No I doubt you will have any issue provided you did it with an up to date RM. I'm sure when he added D2 Support he used pretty much the same code thats in the D2 Standalone.

Both are written by Koush so no worries.

I doubt you messed it up as long as you used the D2 and not the DX.

Did you flash the Gapps zip?

What I suggest (to everyone that is) once CM74D2G is official and bug free we should all start from scratch (either SBF or nandroid), root, install D2 Bootstrap recovery (RM d2 version is fine I suppose) and then install CM7.
truth is after that I doubt you will want to run anything else but CM7 until such time as a bootloader gets unlocked and custom Kernels are available.

Then we won't need bootstrappers or 2nd Init!

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
Thank you so much Asphynx! Yea the one I flashed was D2. Oh and I didn't get to flash the Gapps(nor the other two) since I just(stupidly) rebooted after flashing the main rom(hence the problem I'm in right now lol).

So DON'T flash the DX right? I'll give this a try asap.

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
BTW I keep getting conflicting opinions on which version of CWM to flash(if any, I still haven't tried at this point the Reboot into Recovery from the Power Button mind you). On Rootzwiki, some say to use the Droid X 2nd-init and some say just the D2.

rusty815

Reaction score
You don't have to flash any cwm from rom manager, once you have installed cm you just need to do the reboot option from the power menu (holding down the power button) you MUST NOT use rom manager to try to get in OR bootstrap.

OP
I

Intoxikate

Reaction score
You don't have to flash any cwm from rom manager, once you have installed cm you just need to do the reboot option from the power menu (holding down the power button) you MUST NOT use rom manager to try to get in OR bootstrap.

What if I did already? I already used the ROM manager that came with the CM and flashed the Droid 2 cwm...

rusty815

Reaction score
I believe you need the droid x 2nd init, since that's how we got cm on our phones, regardless if you reboot into recovery you'll probably just get a little android figure with a loading bar, I believe it tries to install the new recovery, but it won't be able to so you just do a battery pull. Don't worry nothing will be damaged if you do. Then you should just be able to reboot into recovery once you turn on your phone again and select the option from the power menu.