Problems installing CM7

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have installed CM7 ~4 times now and it's been awesome for me. I have a titanium backup of everything and want to do a full restore after I get CM7 installed again with the latest update. But I have a problem. I have attempted installing the two latest builds about 4 times each which each time giving me a bootloop @ the Motorola "M" when booting up. It just stays there and never moves on.

I have followed the steps in the main thread to the T but I keep getting this boot problem after I flash CM7. Is there any specific reason this could be happening? Is there a new step i'm missing or a simple step that i'm forgetting?

Please help...thank you

afrchutch

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have installed CM7 ~4 times now and it's been awesome for me. I have a titanium backup of everything and want to do a full restore after I get CM7 installed again with the latest update. But I have a problem. I have attempted installing the two latest builds about 4 times each which each time giving me a bootloop @ the Motorola "M" when booting up. It just stays there and never moves on.

I have followed the steps in the main thread to the T but I keep getting this boot problem after I flash CM7. Is there any specific reason this could be happening? Is there a new step i'm missing or a simple step that i'm forgetting?

Please help...thank you

How long has it been sitting on that boot screen before (I'm assuming) you did a battery pull?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
How long has it been sitting on that boot screen before (I'm assuming) you did a battery pull?

I let it sit for 10 minutes once, the rest of the times i'd let it sit for ~5 minutes. Do you think I'm not giving it enough time? I don't ever remember it taking more than 2 minutes with all the other updates I had done before.

havens1515

Reaction score
That should be more than enough time at the M. Sometimes it'll sit at the CM logo for 5-10 minutes upon initial flash, but usually mine gets past the M within a minute or 2 tops.

Are you installing the official builds from the CM site, or Rev's unofficial builds from Rom Toolbox or Rootzwiki? If you're doing unofficial, are you installing over the OTA? I'm 99% sure there's a kernel check that would fail if you weren't on the OTA, but just making sure. And if you're doing the official, you need to be on stock Froyo before flashing.

OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
The steps I take are sbfing back to stock froyo, then flash the GB OTA, then i root/install CWMod and flash the rootzwiki build. It was working everytime before this but not anymore =(

havens1515

Reaction score
A couple pieces of just FYI:

1) There is a newer build in ROM Toolbox than the one on Rootz. If you decide to try that build, use ROM Toolbox to DL it, but then boot into recovery to install it. Last I heard, ROM Toolbox was written to work with CWM 2.5.x, but Idk if the update changed that.
2) You don't need to sbf, flash the OTA, etc. every time you install a new build. If you are just installing a newer build of the same ROM you can usually just flash cache and dalvik cache in recovery, then flash the new build.

Couple more questions about your install process... did you wipe data between OTA and CM? Are you doing ANYTHING other than just flashing the ROM in recovery before booting CM? (restoring a back-up, flashing jakesmod or some other zip, etc.)

EDIT: If you didn't wipe data (or even if you did, you can try it again) you can boot into the stock recovery by holding the 'x' key on the keyboard while powering on. When it gets to the android with the '!' press BOTH volume buttons simultaneously to enter the stock recovery. From there you can wipe data/factory reset. See if that works.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
A couple pieces of just FYI:

1) There is a newer build in ROM Toolbox than the one on Rootz. If you decide to try that build, use ROM Toolbox to DL it, but then boot into recovery to install it. Last I heard, ROM Toolbox was written to work with CWM 2.5.x, but Idk if the update changed that.
2) You don't need to sbf, flash the OTA, etc. every time you install a new build. If you are just installing a newer build of the same ROM you can usually just flash cache and dalvik cache in recovery, then flash the new build.

Couple more questions about your install process... did you wipe data between OTA and CM? Are you doing ANYTHING other than just flashing the ROM in recovery before booting CM? (restoring a back-up, flashing jakesmod or some other zip, etc.)

EDIT: If you didn't wipe data (or even if you did, you can try it again) you can boot into the stock recovery by holding the 'x' key on the keyboard while powering on. When it gets to the android with the '!' press BOTH volume buttons simultaneously to enter the stock recovery. From there you can wipe data/factory reset. See if that works.

I don't have the paid version of ROM Toolbox so i can't download the nightlies through it, right?

Everytime I have tried to flash the latest build i've just gone into the ROM Toolbox and said "install rom from SD" and has it wipe dalvik cache(only option besides data). And everytime I do that I get stuck on the "M". So I have to start from the beginning, sbf/ota/root/flash. That has worked in the past, but ever since I got stuck on the last one I haven't been able to get a successful CM7 install.

I have tried it with and without wiping the data btwn OTA & CM. Nothing else is taking place between flashing. I have tried wiping data/factory resetting after and it didn't make a difference.

havens1515

Reaction score
ROM Toolbox by JRummy16 allows you to download ROMs, ROM Manager by ClockworkMod does not (confusing, I know)

Don't flash from within ROM Toolbox, just use it to download the ROM. Last I heard, it was built to use recovery Version 2.5.x, and is incompatible with recovery Version 5.x. Idk if what version the new ROM Toolbox uses, but I would not use it to flash anything. Flash straight from recovery.

afrchutch

Reaction score
I don't have the paid version of ROM Toolbox so i can't download the nightlies through it, right?

Everytime I have tried to flash the latest build i've just gone into the ROM Toolbox and said "install rom from SD" and has it wipe dalvik cache(only option besides data). And everytime I do that I get stuck on the "M". So I have to start from the beginning, sbf/ota/root/flash. That has worked in the past, but ever since I got stuck on the last one I haven't been able to get a successful CM7 install.

I have tried it with and without wiping the data btwn OTA & CM. Nothing else is taking place between flashing. I have tried wiping data/factory resetting after and it didn't make a difference.

When I put CM7 on my bolt for the first time it did the same thing. I panicked for a few minutes but then forced myself to be patient. After more than 20 minutes later it booted up. I dunno if it would do that again or even if I updated it. But now I'm running bamf. I would let it do its thing for a few more minutes and I'd say once a half hour has gone by (god forbid) then look into it more.

OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
ROM Toolbox by JRummy16 allows you to download ROMs, ROM Manager by ClockworkMod does not (confusing, I know)

Don't flash from within ROM Toolbox, just use it to download the ROM. Last I heard, it was built to use recovery Version 2.5.x, and is incompatible with recovery Version 5.x. Idk if what version the new ROM Toolbox uses, but I would not use it to flash anything. Flash straight from recovery.

So from within ROM Toolbox have it reboot into recovery, then go through the steps to flash from that? Thanks for all the quick help you are giving me, i'll probably have to wait until tomorrow or the day after to try this.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If on the ota, use bootstrap to get into cw.
If on cm already and trying to update to a later build, get into cw thru either rom manager (not toolbox) or by the power button.
Then wipe, mount and install

OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
Just to double check, when i'm flashing from OTA to CM7 i should be wiping data & cache? Can someone explain what wiping data actually deletes?!

Edit: or from CM7 to a newer build, should i be wiping data/cache?

havens1515

Reaction score
So from within ROM Toolbox have it reboot into recovery, then go through the steps to flash from that? Thanks for all the quick help you are giving me, i'll probably have to wait until tomorrow or the day after to try this.

Download from ROM Toolbox, at the prompt after it completes do nothing. Hold the power button, select reboot, select recovery. Flash the ROM from there. it'll be in your SD card in a folder called romtoolbox-> downloads -> revnumbers

Just to double check, when i'm flashing from OTA to CM7 i should be wiping data & cache? Can someone explain what wiping data actually deletes?!

Edit: or from CM7 to a newer build, should i be wiping data/cache?

Yes, when flashing from OTA (or ANY ROM that's not CM7) to CM7 you should wipe data and cache. The general rule is that if you are switching to a different ROM you need to wipe and cache, if you are updating the SAME ROM, you only need to wipe cache.

wiping data deletes all of the settings within the OS and the apps. This needs to be done when switching ROMs because each ROM has a difference set of settings, so the data for those settings is completely different.

OP
L

Lastb0isct

Reaction score
That's why it's important to backup all your apps with titanium backup

Yep, that's why I did that...

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll report back in a few days after I've tried it out and let you know how it went.