Project Fi Test Group - Who's in ?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I'll be using my 6P on Project Fi once it arrives. I'll be keeping my GS6 active on Verizon while I determine if Project Fi will suit my needs in Michigan... I can tell you that Fi is going to have to be pretty spectacular to get me to give up Verizon... even if it is about half the price. I would love to be out from under "Big V's" thumb though.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
@CJM - Thanks, those are encouraging. How are you liking the "Fi" experience ? Is the switching between WiFi and Cell as seamless as they claim ?
I like it so far. Switching between cell & WiFi works fine for me. Also noticed that after flashing the Project Fi images I now connect to trusted WiFi automatically.

And to further test this, I'm going to pause Project Fi services for a few weeks to a month. Just to see how it goes & if switching back is easy.

Tapped from a Nexus 6

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I like it so far. Switching between cell & WiFi works fine for me. Also noticed that after flashing the Project Fi images I now connect to trusted WiFi automatically.

And to further test this, I'm going to pause Project Fi services for a few weeks to a month. Just to see how it goes & if switching back is easy.

Tapped from a Nexus 6
"... flashing Project Fi Images ..." - What are those ?

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
OK, Android Build Images... I wonder if that will be necessary with the 5X and 6P or if it's all baked in now.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
The ones from Google

Tapped from a Nexus 6
I just ordered.. Kit should arrive first days of Nov.. I'm running JDX ROM but thinking if I should fresh install something.. Your thoughts?

S6E+ tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Not know the differences, I flashed the Fi images for the radios mostly. I wasn't sure if the Verizon images were the best so I went with the Fi images

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Since the 6P's are now confirmed shipping, I just signed up for "Fi" - should have my SIM before the phone.
Now if only TWRP was ported ... Hmmm Mr. Beans!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
OK I have the phone on Project FI activated.. Just popped the sim in on the Nexus 6 waited for it to set up and up and running.. It said my Google Voice number would be active in a few days for calls and text.. I tried a call this morning and it went.. Just waiting on text to kick in..
My speedtest from home AT&T was far superior BUT I did not notice a difference last night.. So far good on my way to work this morning as I type from the bus..

NexusSix

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
And I just got my SIM and the 6p is activated. So far it's kicked vzw for speed. I started a call on home Wi-Fi and then walked around the block no issues.

In doing comparative speed tests. I'll post results tonight

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks, this is like a geeks playground. Got all kinds of stuff to explore. So far it just works, and better than vzw. They may have more coverage, but I think they're network is saturated where I live.