Question about Incredible Phone Activation

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I've been thinking harder about what the online sales rep told me regarding activating the Incredible when it comes in. He said when you get the phone, one of the first things you do on activation is enter the phone number that the phone will be accredited to. This detail is important to me as I'm purchasing the phone through my secondary line upgrade discount. So basically, the phone will actually be on a different line than what I purchased it through.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Does this sound right or does anyone know for sure? Trying to make this process as painless as possible when it arrives.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It doesnt matter what line you purchase the phone through, only the line it's activated on. I bought my Droid using someone else's line upgrade, and had no problems activating the phone. VZW does this all the time, so it's a non-issue.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure how it works with internet orders or anything, but it shouldnt be a big deal at all. You may have to physically visit the store to make sure numbers work out, but I'm certain that the phone line used and the phone line purchased do not need to be the same thing.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Yup, you're correct about that. Apparently the main thing she said is that the phone MUST initially be activated on the line you purchased it on and then the numbers switched back in system or its very possible to end up a couple months down the road getting a bill for the remainder of the FULL price of the phone. Definitely don't want to have the surprise hit me.

Weapondrift

Reaction score
I was told that when I recieve my phone, I am to turn off my existing phone (the phone that has my current number) and dial *228>1 then going through the steps the "over the phone" person will port my current number over to the Droid.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That's where it gets tricky. The phone I'm using the upgrade discount from isn't the same phone I'm replacing with the Incredible. I'm using the upgrade from my second line to change the phone on the primary line.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no trick, there's no trouble. Just call VZW when you get the phone and explain what you want done. I really think you guys are overthinking this thing.

THE WITCH

Reaction score
When someone receives their new HTC Incredible, would you post how you activated your existing phone number onto the new HTC.

I have a Blackberry and I am not sure how to activate the new HTC. I wish that Verizon would provide better instructions with their phones. When I received my Blackberry two years ago, it was very frustrating trying to activate the phone.

I can't wait to see how everyone will react to the phone.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Easiest and probably best thing i can think of is when it arrives don't even take it out of the box and head to your local Verizon Corporate store and have them activate it. There should be no charge for it to be done at all.

givmedew

Reaction score
Yup, you're correct about that. Apparently the main thing she said is that the phone MUST initially be activated on the line you purchased it on and then the numbers switched back in system or its very possible to end up a couple months down the road getting a bill for the remainder of the FULL price of the phone. Definitely don't want to have the surprise hit me.

You must place the order from the phone that is eligible then when you get the phone you must accept the terms and conditions.

Important part that makes it all easy. At the end of accepting the terms and conditions it asks you if you want to activate the phone now push 1 later push 2 select later. Now that was accurate last I bought a phone that way which was a storm last year. Then you can go online and hit activate phone select the number you want and type in the esn from the phone then fallow the programming instructions on the phone.

Boom done no need to call vzw or drive and wait in line to bother a rep at a store! Make sure you run backup assistant on the old phone first!!! As you will not be doing a phone book transfer at a vzw store since some don't have the cell brites others charge 20 to use and most won't be able to do it at launch anyways!

If your are planning on bringing this thing into a store just wait and buy it from the store.

Enjoy that phone!

givmedew

Reaction score
Easiest and probably best thing i can think of is when it arrives don't even take it out of the box and head to your local Verizon Corporate store and have them activate it. There should be no charge for it to be done at all.

Absolute worse thing I could think of doing. If they activate they will bypass the terms and conditions that wad set up for you and it is possible that you could end up paying the diff between the 2yr price and full retail on your bill.

This is why they include step by step instructions on how to activate it lol. Why would anyone want to waist time driving then waiting in line to have a vzw rep open they box grab the sheet of paper turn the phone around and tell you to dial the 800 numbed in the activation instructions and that's if your lucky and they don't just activate it at the terminal!

Weapondrift

Reaction score
When someone receives their new HTC Incredible, would you post how you activated your existing phone number onto the new HTC.

I have a Blackberry and I am not sure how to activate the new HTC. I wish that Verizon would provide better instructions with their phones. When I received my Blackberry two years ago, it was very frustrating trying to activate the phone.

I can't wait to see how everyone will react to the phone.

As soon as I get mine Ill post how I did it but Im telling you *229 >1 should get it done for us.

Absolute worse thing I could think of doing. If they activate they will bypass the terms and conditions that wad set up for you and it is possible that you could end up paying the diff between the 2yr price and full retail on your bill.

This is why they include step by step instructions on how to activate it lol. Why would anyone want to waist time driving then waiting in line to have a vzw rep open they box grab the sheet of paper turn the phone around and tell you to dial the 800 numbed in the activation instructions and that's if your lucky and they don't just activate it at the terminal!

+1

deltomto

Reaction score
about the activation. Its called an alternate upgrade they are done everyday without any issues the computer system generally takes care of it. Worst case scenario you do an esn change after the initial activation to the MTN you want it on.

About the Terms and Conditions. At the store they will not be able to activate the phone until the Terms and Conditions have been accepted so no worries about the two year price changing to full retail.