Questions About Root

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Yeah as far as actually loading roms and rebooting into recovery and stuff I'm still learning, but you and everyone here has been a huge help!

dja1980

Reaction score
Squeak, can you share what tutorial you followed? I'm going to reroot a phone that lost root when it updated to Gingerbread, and I'm trying to get familiar with the current root process. I think the last time I rooted this phone was almost 2 years ago, and I don't think the method I used works anymore.

I'm going to give Pete's Root Tools a try, but I might need a fallback method if that fails. The phone I'm working on is running 2.3.3. Thanks in advance!!!

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Squeak, can you share what tutorial you followed? I'm going to reroot a phone that lost root when it updated to Gingerbread, and I'm trying to get familiar with the current root process. I think the last time I rooted this phone was almost 2 years ago, and I don't think the method I used works anymore.

I'm going to give Pete's Root Tools a try, but I might need a fallback method if that fails. The phone I'm working on is running 2.3.3. Thanks in advance!!!

My D2 that I just finally got rooted was also running GB 2.3.3, and I tried almost every root tool out there including Pete's Motorola Root Tools but none of them worked. I finally found this tutorial, I had to flash back to Froyo 2.2, then I tried Pete's Tools again with no luck, so I downloaded Z4Root and was rooted within a minute. Hope this helps.

Motorola Droid 2: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

dja1980

Reaction score
Thanks, I wonder if your phone will try to update back to Gingerbread and knock your root out. You may need to download a rootkeeper app to prevent that from happening, but I'm just guessing.

Did you follow the "Downgrading the Firmware with RSD Lite" instructions in the tutorial you linked to? It looks like they are recommending to downgrade to 2.3.2 rather than 2.2, and they give a link to the file. Did 2.3.2 not work for you, and if not, where did you find your copy of Froyo?

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I followed the exact instructions for RSDLite and I used all the files they provide, but my system says its running 2.2 so thats weird.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Please help

Ok so I tried to install Liberty Rom, my phone rebooted, it goes to the boot animation, runs for a few seconds, then resets the boot animation all over and I tried wiping it with no luck. How do I fix this?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Which version of Liberty did you install? For the Droid 2 you need to flash the version that is compatible with the system version you are running.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I downloaded the correct version but I believe I tried to flash it without the required tools. I just had to sbf to 2.2 and now all is good.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I'm curious, what do you mean by the required tools?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes you do. And I said it has to be the correct version of Liberty. Just double check it is for your system version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No worries, we will be here to help when you can get it.

dl1762

Reaction score
What the easiest or recommended method to use ?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
What the easiest or recommended method to use ?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Do you mean to install ROMs? And what device do you have, the T-bolt?