Questions about transferring Verizon service from my OG Droid to a new OG Droid.

droidDB

Reaction score
Hello All,

Before I decide to just upgrade to a Droid 3, I had a question or two. The digitizer on my current OG Droid is driving me crazy. Repairing it is Plan C. Plan B is upgrading to the Droid 3. Plan A is as follows: If I decided to buy a new Droid A855 (through Amazon), does anyone know what I would have to do to transfer service from my current A855 to the new one? The possible advantage to this is not having to renew my contract (which has expired), which I would obviously have to do if I upgrade to the Droid 3. I don't know that I wouldn't have to renew my contract in either case, so I am asking if anyone knows the answer to that as well. Any input is appreciated, as long as it's constructive. ;) Thanks.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You can either:

1.) Log into My Verizon and enter the MEID number to active the phone
2.) Call Verizon and have them activate it for you

If you buy a phone unlocked it will not extend your contract.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy the newer og Droid, power off your old one, dial *228 on the new one, and it will activate. If you have a family plan then just enter the number you want it activated on.

Reaction score
Buy the newer og Droid, power off your old one, dial *228 on the new one, and it will activate. If you have a family plan then just enter the number you want it activated on.

You have to assign the meid number to your line first just as tjk mentioned first, then dial *228.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to when switching between 3g phones. I did it the way I mentioned with no issues.

OP
droidDB

droidDB

Reaction score
I'll be ordering the new OG Droid this weekend, at the latest. I'll post back and let everyone know the activation goes. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
You have to assign the meid number to your line first just as tjk mentioned first, then dial *228.

That is old information. For over a year now, the *228 system has had the capability of transferring service to a new phone automatically as long as there is no feature or plan change required. All you need are the phone # and last 4 of account holder's SSN (or account password if there is one).

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Actually, if I may add, the way I remember it is you dial *228 and select option 3. Then enter the phone number you wish to activate to and the last four of your SS#.

good luck

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Actually, if I may add, the way I remember it is you dial *228 and select option 3. Then enter the phone number you wish to activate to and the last four of your SS#.

Option 3 no longer exists. It's done through option 1, the same as doing the initial OTA programming.

OP
droidDB

droidDB

Reaction score
Just to update everyone, as I said that I would, I received the phone this weekend. The process was simply making the phone call on the new phone in order to activate it. I only needed to provide the phone number that the service was for, and the last four digits of my SS. Quite painless. Thanks for the replies, everyone!