Radio App that does not buffer all the time

rgn2000

Reaction score
Does anyone know why an app for radio stations (ex Streamfurious, Iheartradio, etc) cannot be created that does not buffer all the time? Everyone I have tried gets a good buffer to get going (upto 128kbs) and then sometimes it works very well and then other times they buffer every few minutes and you have to hit stop and play again. Now I am not talking about when cell signals are low. I am also not talking about Pandora or Slacker type services. They don't buffer at all and their quality is streamed at 128kbs. The radio apps are mostly streaming at 32kbs and yet buffer constantly.

Reaction score
You might want to try radio time.. I never have any buffering issues with it and I use it all the time, mostly for 20-30 minutes at a time

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
You might want to try radio time.. I never have any buffering issues with it and I use it all the time, mostly for 20-30 minutes at a time

I was thinking of trying that but reviews did not seem all that good and people also say that a lot of the stations on the website are not in the app. Could you tell me if it has WEEI out of Boston? Or WEAE out of Pittsburgh?

Thanks

solar

Reaction score

I was thinking of trying that but reviews did not seem all that good and people also say that a lot of the stations on the website are not in the app. Could you tell me if it has WEEI out of Boston? Or WEAE out of Pittsburgh?

Thanks

I've found that it works way better then any of the free ones i've tried, and i've tried a handfull of them (cherry player, iheart, etc). This buffers less then any other i've tried and the sound bit rates on most stations are good 96+. I would definetely recommend this app. I looked up those stations for you and they both show up. The are both sports talk right? One is an espn station...

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score

Thanks

I've found that it works way better then any of the free ones i've tried, and i've tried a handfull of them (cherry player, iheart, etc). This buffers less then any other i've tried and the sound bit rates on most stations are good 96+. I would definetely recommend this app. I looked up those stations for you and they both show up. The are both sports talk right? One is an espn station...

Yes they are sports stations. Thanks for looking them up and I will give it a try.

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
No problem. Enjoy! :)

Well I finally gave Radio Time a try. I was waiting till I knew I would be in my car a lot to give it a good test and if it didn't I would get a refund. I must say that this app is AWESOME!! I cannot believe how well it performed. I was on the road a lot this morning and afternoon and it only buffered 2 times and it was because of cell coverage for sure. Thanks for pushing me to try this, I wish I had tried it much sooner.

Reaction score

Well I finally gave Radio Time a try. I was waiting till I knew I would be in my car a lot to give it a good test and if it didn't I would get a refund. I must say that this app is AWESOME!! I cannot believe how well it performed. I was on the road a lot this morning and afternoon and it only buffered 2 times and it was because of cell coverage for sure. Thanks for pushing me to try this, I wish I had tried it much sooner.
Glad you enjoyed it =]

solar

Reaction score

Cool, I think the app work pretty well too.Its really nice to have streaming radio in my pocket! I'm glad it worked out for you. Droids are fun!

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
+100 great supporter of radiotime, they respond quick with problems, the app is awesome. I use it for hours at a time and love it. would probably pay a subscription fee if I had to, thats how much I love this app.

jasonb

Reaction score
DroidLive lets you manually select how much of a buffer to use. i'm sure the longer buffer settings will work better in areas with spotty service.

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
DroidLive lets you manually select how much of a buffer to use. i'm sure the longer buffer settings will work better in areas with spotty service.

I sied Droidlive a while back and it buffered all the time regardless of spotty areas. I found this will all radio apps except for Radio Time.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

I sied Droidlive a while back and it buffered all the time regardless of spotty areas. I found this will all radio apps except for Radio Time.

Yes DroidLive does buffer sometimes but not often. I also use iheartradio and RadioTime. Personally RadioTime is my favorite but they need to add the station i downloaded it for. Bouncing back and forth from RadioTime and iheartradio for different stations can get annoying. RadioTime should be able to add stations that iheartradio can pick up with NO problems.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes DroidLive does buffer sometimes but not often. I also use iheartradio and RadioTime. Personally RadioTime is my favorite but they need to add the station i downloaded it for. Bouncing back and forth from RadioTime and iheartradio for different stations can get annoying. RadioTime should be able to add stations that iheartradio can pick up with NO problems.

Are you aware that iheartradio is owned by Clear Channel (the largest radio station owner in the US) and that they don't allow RadioTime to stream their channels? That might be your problem.