Randomly switching to silent mode

k1601

Reaction score
Ok, in the last week or so I'll look at my phone and realize it's set to silent, priority only mode. At first I just blamed it on myself accidently hitting it, but now I'll turn it back to full volume/all, and a few minutes later it's on priority mode again. It doesn't always happen that quickly, sometimes it'll be an hour or so before I notice the switch, sometimes longer. I'm assuming there is some setting somewhere I'm missing. Any ideas what it might be?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most likely an app that is misbehaving. Do you have any apps installed that control volume settings? I'd look at those first. Apps that were working perfectly fine will auto-update and all of a sudden they start causing problems. I'd disable or uninstall those apps for a while and see if that corrects the problem, then start reinstalling them one at a time to see if you can figure out which one is the problem. Good luck. It takes a bit of detective work to figure out which one is the bad boy sometimes.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a camera app cause that in the past. Every time I'd use the app my phone would switch to silent when I closed it. Since it just started I'd look at your Play Store "recently updated" area in your installed apps there. Look at their permissions and if any can control volume I'd try uninstall it/them 1 at a time and see if that's where the bug is.
The camera app I spoke of got got an update not long after the bug was introduced that fixed it so if it turns out to be one you really like it'll probably not be long until it gets fixed.
Also have your installed a new case/cover recently? Could be possibly an ill fitting one.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
I had a camera app cause that in the past. Every time I'd use the app my phone would switch to silent when I closed it. Since it just started I'd look at your Play Store "recently updated" area in your installed apps there. Look at their permissions and if any can control volume I'd try uninstall it/them 1 at a time and see if that's where the bug is.
The camera app I spoke of got got an update not long after the bug was introduced that fixed it so if it turns out to be one you really like it'll probably not be long until it gets fixed.
Also have your installed a new case/cover recently? Could be possibly an ill fitting one.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
No new case... Had this speck for 6 months now. I'll check recently installed apps now. Thanks for the tips guys

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
cc454b83aeb7a2fd0c7aa23d81eac9ea.jpg

455b2e6acea53f7bef773e0f6bb411b1.jpg

f102304b9954784cd799bd4492d1ad7f.jpg

Here are my recently updated apps. I'm going through permissions now.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Messenger is the only app I found in recently updated that has audio permission.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have any recurring calendar appointments during the times the phone goes silent? The Turbo comes pre-loaded with Google Calendar, and I believe by default all new calendar events are set to "Busy", which will also trigger silent mode. Just another idea to look into.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Do you have any recurring calendar appointments during the times the phone goes silent? The Turbo comes pre-loaded with Google Calendar, and I believe by default all new calendar events are set to "Busy", which will also trigger silent mode. Just another idea to look into.

Hmmm no calendar events. I read in another thread this was occurring when people lost WiFi. That may events make sense for me, as on campus I go in and out of WiFi quite a bit. When I'm at home I have constant WiFi, and also don't seem to have any issues with it there. Not sure why WiFi would cause it though...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Please take a look at your interruptions settings and see of there are any triggers set. Go into system settings > sounds > interruptions. Disable any priority settings. Let us know if that helps.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Please take a look at your interruptions settings and see of there are any triggers set. Go into system settings > sounds > interruptions. Disable any priority settings. Let us know if that helps.

These are all set to off, no day set on interruptions. The only things set for interruption are alarms and calls...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hmmmm. I'll continue thinking about this.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'll continue thinking about this.

I've yet to have a single issue with it this weekend. Hopefully it magically fixed itself? We'll see if it resumes Monday, which for some reason I think it will. The something related to WiFi theory is still seeming reasonable, although I don't links what it could be

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well that's definitely a strange possible reason however I understand it's not your theory but one you've seen on other posts in the forums. I'm looking for some connection.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've yet to have a single issue with it this weekend. Hopefully it magically fixed itself? We'll see if it resumes Monday, which for some reason I think it will. The something related to WiFi theory is still seeming reasonable, although I don't links what it could be

Android fragmentation. It'll probably turn out a totally unrelated app is triggering things.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Android fragmentation. It'll probably turn out a totally unrelated app is triggering things.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><