razr maxx getting HOT all of the sudden

megraven21

Reaction score
Ive had my maxx for about 2 months and this morning I noticed my phone is getting super hot for no reason. I didnt even touch it for 2hrs and when I picked it up, the phone, screen and all, was extremely hot. I don't have any apps running differently or anything so I don't know what could be causing this. I turned it off for 30mins and it cooled down but when I turned it back on its hot again.
Anyone have any ideas?

On DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Go into settings, battery information, battery use. See if an app has been keeping the phone processor working instead of allowing the phone to sleep.

Also download androsensor or an app that will tell you what the actual temp of the phone is.

Try shutting off the phone and charging to 100%. My maxx started getting hot back in the end of February, and after doing this, it stopped, strange, but it worked.

So download androsensor and post the battery temp.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
I uninstalled an app that I thought might be causing the problem. For a day or two, it got better but then it started getting hot again. It doesn't get hot all the time but when it does, I take off the case and put it infront of my air conditioner because its so hot.

I just downloaded the app you suggested and it started off at 78.8 and its at 84.2 within 3mins. Thats probably normal, I just wanted to be precise. I will report back as soon as it gets hot again.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I've had a lot of overheating issues with my Razrs.

A few times it was from run away apps, a restart fixes all but one, a clear data fixed that one(it was the worst caused battery to drain at about 1% per min). I using an app to see which app is taxing the CPU.

On my Razrs that had data issues having data on would overheat the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Ok, its starting to get hot but not burning hot as it has been. right now it's at 98.6 degrees, which is too hot for a phone in my opinion. I have been using it for about 20 minutes.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, its starting to get hot but not burning hot as it has been. right now it's at 98.6 degrees, which is too hot for a phone in my opinion. I have been using it for about 20 minutes.

That's not that hot. My X would get to 109* when used hard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

98.6... so its a person now? Kewl!!! :shock:

Sorry I had to. 98.6 isn't bad. My maxx's run cool and even after constant use, mine have gotten to 103. It'll shut off at 113 or so.

Look in settings, battery info, battery use, what's it showing there?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
megraven21 said:

That's your body temperature, so if you have the phone in your pocket or even in the palm of your hand, it is probably going to get at least that hot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow 94lt1, we did it again. We must think alike, lol! And this time you beat me by milliseconds.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow 94lt1, we did it again. We must think alike, lol! And this time you beat me by milliseconds.

Great minds huh Tis? ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Of course!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
My Razr sits in the mid 80's most of the time when on wifi, if I only turn on data & let it sit idle w/ screen off 98F isn't unheard of. When ever I put any of the 4 Razrs I've had in my car dock which triggers data, BT & GPS it will shoot up to around 110F(at around this point phone quits charging & alot of the time temp goes to 116F) & if data plays nice it will drop back down to 103F, if data doesn't play nice(which happens more often than not on 3 of the Razrs) it will sit at at least 116F sometimes go well over 125F. If i shut data off phone will drop down to around 100F. BTW climate control is sets at 72F & phone is mounted on center console in front of gear shifter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
Lol. I'm a chick so no Droid is going to fit in my pocket. I keep it either on a holster or in my purse. Its over 100 degrees now. It gets much hotter than this, I just can't always check the temp.

I don't see anything as far as apps that should be making it this hot. My screen is in burning mode. (111.6 degrees) If you just pick the phone up, you can feel the heat radiating thru the case. I have tried switching cases, using no case...nothing helps. Ive never had a problem like this with any other phone (Droid X, Bionic, Razr) except a blackberry. I changed the battery and the phone still got hot so I got a replacement. Is this what I will have to do with the Maxx???