Risk of rooting

Its TwiX

Reaction score
I'm a little worried about rooting my Thunderbolt. First of all, I'm quite inexperienced in rooting or modding. Though the root techniques out there seem simple, none if them are really step by step. I need a rooting thunderbolt for dummies.

Should I be worried about rooting? If the risk is minimal then I think it would be worth it just to be get the battery saving benefits.

If any one knows a ACTUAL step by step method to rooting the tb let me know. And which one to use also. See a lot of people having problems with the 3 step root and it makes me worried.

Any help is much appreciated! I just don't want a $600 paper weight...

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

sportadic22

Reaction score
i did the 3 step method.... went smoothly. i also downloaded the pdf... and just simply went step by step.. prior to that i read about half of all the posts in that section of 3 step method just so nothing "Surprised me"
i also had adb set up before but just incase i deleted it all.. and did • View topic - [GUIDE] ADB for "Dummies"

--- each step..i had to exit the exe and restart it..once.. soo just breath and follow directions.

you may also need the HTC DRIVERS>>> if your pc cant see your phone.. browse thru the forum here to find them..

nateccnn

Reaction score
The easy root system is not for the faint of heart noob. That said...if you can breathe in and out you can het through it with some work. Look for Corinicake's post on an easy installer for sdk tools. Run that first. If sdk is set up properly before you run easy root it will go much smoother for you.

If a step doesn't work, redo it...unless you get Tue wrong has two times in a row...follow the instructions and seek help. Never heard of anyone actually pricking a phone and the rescue squad can work with you if you screw of up.

Take your time and follow instructions. Read Tue step two or three times before running the step.

Or just wait few more weeks and easy process will come. buy an extended battery.

Nate

sent from my thunderbolt using touch input do prone to typing errors.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
AFAIK no one has truly bricked a tb so far so I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure to read through the instructions a few times before doing it and you will be fine.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
I

Its TwiX

Reaction score
I checked out the one click root and it looks pretty promising...

I got the drivers installed using HTC Sync
Next thing it says I need is the SDK installed with ADB. I have the ADB app for dummies and I can get the SDK how you said.
And my thunderbolt is running the right firmware.

Now my only question is has anyone heard of problems with this root method?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes it will hang up on step 2 or 3, just try it again and don't freak out..... may take multiple times.

OP
I

Its TwiX

Reaction score
I checked out the one click root and it looks pretty promising...

I got the drivers installed using HTC Sync
Next thing it says I need is the SDK installed with ADB. I have the ADB app for dummies and I can get the SDK how you said.
And my thunderbolt is running the right firmware.

Now my only question is has anyone heard of problems with this root method?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

After reading posts everywhere I'm not too worried about bricking my phone. Just running into problems >.> Is there any guide that can help me on the ADB install? I'm going to read through and follow the Easy root. And follow the very detailed PDF included in it lol.

Thanks for helping out guys! Before, I didn't really think rooting was worth the risk since I probably won't be flashing ROMs for a long time... if ever but now that I know no one has really bricked their TB yet I'm not so worried. :D

EDIT: The Easy root doesn't say anything about having SDK... is it still a good idea to get installed? And if it is... guide? :D lol

Last edited:

rjcapp

Reaction score
let us know how it goes. I am new also so if it goes okay for you I will rooT 4 myself

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a little worried about rooting my Thunderbolt. First of all, I'm quite inexperienced in rooting or modding. Though the root techniques out there seem simple, none if them are really step by step. I need a rooting thunderbolt for dummies.

Should I be worried about rooting? If the risk is minimal then I think it would be worth it just to be get the battery saving benefits.

If any one knows a ACTUAL step by step method to rooting the tb let me know. And which one to use also. See a lot of people having problems with the 3 step root and it makes me worried.

Any help is much appreciated! I just don't want a $600 paper weight...

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

Should you be worried? Probably not. Chances are that if you brick your phone you'll just get a new one from Verizon or a refurb. Can something go wrong. Absolutely yes, and it doesn't matter how closely you follow the directions. Things just happen sometimes, I've rooted my phone many times and never had a problem until last night. I bricked my D2.

Now I'm experienced at it and understand what rooting is. I'm not telling you not to root but just that stuff happens that is out of your control. Don't let anybody tell you different.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Hookbill...you bricked your D2? Bricked, as in totally unusable and unrecoverable? like...you can't even flash a stock recovery and Rom anymore? That would suck.

Nate

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill...you bricked your D2? Bricked, as in totally unusable and unrecoverable? like...you can't even flash a stock recovery and Rom anymore? That would suck.

Nate

That's what I'm saying. Matter of fact that's what I was doing, I was trying to load stock Froyo 2.2 from the leaked stock Gingerbread 2.3. I did everything right, the sbf was successful (passed) but it would not boot past the M. I could access the bootloader and recovery but nothing worked. I wiped at least 3 times and did 3 sbf. All 3 said passed, OK and it would not recover.

That's why I say even if you know what you're doing stuff can still happen. I'm a believer now, it's not always user error. To get back on topic, I'm just pointing out that your risk is minimal as you can always get the phone replaced so long as you have warranty, but stuff can happen. Just the nature of the beast.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try talking to some of the people over at mydroidworld. I've seen some miracles come from over there lol.... if it goes to the bootlogo then your not truly bricked. That being said, that still sucks =/

OP
I

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Okay. One last question before I root this beast. I've been playing a lot of games and got pretty far in them... Can I transfer the data to the SD card so I won't have to start over when I wipe the phone?

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Okay. One last question before I root this beast. I've been playing a lot of games and got pretty far in them... Can I transfer the data to the SD card so I won't have to start over when I wipe the phone?

Unfortunately no. You will lose all data. The good news is once youre rooted you can backup all of your data with titanium backup and you'll never have to lose it again.