Root

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello, o got rid of bloatware when i switched to liberty rom just simply bc the creators of liberty didnt put the bloatware programs in the rom. Thats how i got rid of mine but on my stock backup all the bloatware and stock programs are still up there.

You can also get an app called Titanium Backup its in the market and the paid version allows you to freeze the app so it cant be opened until you unfreeze it. I believe also you can have an app like root explorer or for a File manager and just delete the programs.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-general-discussions/114240-whats-best-way-delete-pre-installed-bloatware.html

I think the link above will give you some good info

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Tell me why I should root this phone :) The last phone I did, it was only to remove bloat. My only issue with this phone is I seem to only have a small amount of available ram. I don't believe I have anything installed that would use so much, but that's why I'm really asking about root :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Me personally, I root for ad blocking and xposed framework... customizing my galaxy s5 keeps the - gotta have a new phone- itch away (sort of)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For myself, I need root, even on stock ROM. Here are the apps I consider a must have on my personal device:

Titanium Backup Pro
Greenify
RAM Booster
AdAway
BootManager

Also use it to get rid of bloatware and a couple Xposed apps.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Because this phone is awful if you can't get rid of touchwiz and the bloatware that makes it lag so much you can't even have a conversation via text.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I can assure you my S5 doesn't lag AT ALL. There is obviously an app causing this. Are you using the stock messenger? Have you turned off your animations in developer options? What version are you on 4.4.2 , 3 or 4?

tap'n on my S5

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Nandroids. That is the reason I root.

I haven't had to debloat a Galaxy phone since the S3. They are all so fast now that it has become irrelevant to me.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You need a custom recovery for Nandroid ...basically it's like taking a snapshot of your phone at the moment you make a backup in your custom recovery ...it backups all data and operating system your are running ...so let's say you want to try a mod to your phone or something screws up ...you can go back to recovery and restore that backup ...kinda like Windows restore date ....

I root for same reasons most posted ..titanium backup ..saves my apps and their data ..I can restore them on another phone easily ...or wipe my phone clean and restore just some data ..adaway no ads in most apps ...freeze apps I don't want like bloat ...and theme the phone with apps like Xposed which let's you change colors or move icons around the status bar or hide ...and if your phone is fortunate to have custom recovery then run a ROM ..I'm running international base M8 updated to the latest firmware instead of waiting on AT&T...

M8 tap'd

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
As bkdodger explained, a nandroid is a full system backup image of your phone. I keep 3 images on hand. The first is a copy of the phone when it is bare bones stock. The second is of the phone after my initial setup (launcher settings, widgets setup, email account setup, favorite apps downloaded etc). The third is whatever the current setup of the phone is with new apps I try out.

I keep a copy of the first two nandroids on my PC for safe keeping and the third nandroid gets replaced on Sunday's with a new one and is stored locally on my microSD.

This way if I take an OTA that borks the phone or the phone has one of those great brain fart moments I don't have to start from scratch with a factory restore. I just flash back to whichever point I feel I want to start again.

It's super convenient in that you don't have to re-download apps, set up widgets, email accounts, music players, etc.

And it's painless.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Any idea how root would affect getting a warranty replacement or insurance replacement? IIRC, vzw can now see if you have rooted right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It shouldn't affect anything as long as you return to stock first. Which is super easy to do the within SuperSU app.

tap'n on my S5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Rooting technically voids your warranty. You can always unroot if you need too. I don't think VZW can see anything if you disable auto update. I'm sure our members can verify as I am not a VZW customer.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Correct, the current root methods for this device don't "trip" anything to make Verizon aware you've rooted your device. Unless of course you return it to them still rooted, then you may have a problem.

tap'n on my S5