Rooting again....

Burrgoddess

Reaction score
I rooted my D4 when I first bought it. Then it started telling me 3x a day that it needed to update and it failed etc...So I flashed back to stock to allow the update...It went from 2. ... to 4.1.2. I did the root process I found but it didn't work. Can someone help make sure I have the right root file and directions please?TYVM:blink:

karlsdroids

Reaction score
You're on Jb now, right? The razrblade file worked for me, it's a more complicated process than previous root procedures.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
Burrgoddess

Burrgoddess

Reaction score
I believe so....I did the razr and followed everything step by step. But when I go to rom toolbox it tells me I'm not rooted....

GigaJake

Reaction score
The Razr Blade utility is a little buggy on the D4. Make sure every step passes and you don't run into any errors.

I believe Razr Blade installs SuperSU, so checking for that app is the quickest way to see if it rooted your device.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

karlsdroids

Reaction score
Yes, it does install supersu. I'll be doing a FDR soon so I'll be in the same boat.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
Burrgoddess

Burrgoddess

Reaction score
It fails...doesn't install superu...failed for /data/local.prop. permission denied. remount failed..etc

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
try this xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Unable to properly root after 4.1.2 OTA update.

I GOT ROOT! I'm going to structure this post in such a way so that it will be easily searchable by those who are having the same problem.

The issue that I was having was that the RAZR Blade exploit was giving me the following errors when trying to root:

failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File Exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exisits

Device: Droid 4
Network: Verizon
System: XT894
Android version: 4.1.2

What I did to solve the problem:

-Settings > Apps > Smart Actions > Clear data
-Settings > Storage > ≡ Button > USB computer connection > Select "Media device (MTP)
-Ran the exploit again. Went through with no errors. Upon reboot I had root access.

After I had root access, I went back to the USB computer connection and changed back to Mass Storage mode.

Thanks for all of the help you guys gave me. I really appreciate it!

Holymsophy

Reaction score
OKay, for those having issues with razr_blade.zip
(I was having the same issues)

What happens is that it detects your phone before the phone is completely booted up. So what I did was every time it says "rebooting" as soon as the device goes off, I disconnected it, waited for it to fully boot before reconnecting and then it will continue the process.

Eventually it all worked well and I am rooted (took me all of last night, this morning and voila!)

Hope it helps those getting:
failed on '/data/logger - permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, file exists
unable to chmod /data/logger: operation not permitted
link failed file exists

errors

New Daddy

Reaction score
OKay, for those having issues with razr_blade.zip
(I was having the same issues)

What happens is that it detects your phone before the phone is completely booted up. So what I did was every time it says "rebooting" as soon as the device goes off, I disconnected it, waited for it to fully boot before reconnecting and then it will continue the process.

Eventually it all worked well and I am rooted (took me all of last night, this morning and voila!)

Hope it helps those getting:
failed on '/data/logger - permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, file exists
unable to chmod /data/logger: operation not permitted
link failed file exists

errors

Yes, that worked for me!