Rooting the ally on 2.2.2

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Rooting the ally on 2.2.2 is easy as ever. Just google gingerbreak apk v1.2. Download it, dismount your sd card and run the app. No computer needed, will install superuser for you.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Fyi. I downloaded the app off of 4shared link that came up from google search. Make sure it is version 1.2 or it will not work.

Ryelic

Reaction score
Any news yet on a rom?

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The only one I have found is called velocity. Just google velocity for lg ally and it should come up. I just need a stock recovery the update messed mine up. Hoping if I can find that I will fix it. No sbf files for the ally that I have found. Did you root with gingerbreak?

Ryelic

Reaction score
Yea i used gingerbreak but none of the velocity roms will work even with new kernel and all that jazz and no sbf found this way sorry

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
That sucks. I don't think there is alot of support for the ally. I see alot of unanswered questions on this forum.

jonyboy

Reaction score
I was just wondering What does it mean to root and what does it do?

rottyslilgirl2005

Reaction score
What does the root do and can u tell me how I can root mine?? Root checker said not rooted do I need to root it??

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Rooting will allow you to get rid of some of the bloatware (the apps that come pre-installed that you may or may not ever use) put on the phone, which could result in better battery life. Usually it would also allow you to install a custom rom or operating system. The problem is that as far as roms go I don't think there are any for the ally. If you are on froyo 2.2.2 you can root it with gingerbreak, just google it. Beware though this will void your warranty.

jonyboy

Reaction score
Thank you bd for answering my question, what are the risk of rooting it?

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
There is no risk to rooting, other than voiding the warranty. If you phone has issues later you can use the same app to un-root b4 taking it to verison or in the case of having to have it replaced. Then you would just remove all the root apps and send it off. The only danger is flashing/installing custom roms. You have to be certain to only use roms desighned for the ally.....although I don't think there are any. All you have to do with gingerbreak version 1.2 (I belive the link I used was from ***********) dismount your sd card and run the app. Its really that easy. If you have any other questions p.m. me and I will help if I can. My main phone is a d2g so I only cheack this thread on occasion.

jonyboy

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks bd u have been a great help, okay I will

cmanfore

Reaction score
i put the gingerbreak .APK on my SD root and i cant find it on the phone? lol im a noob. help?!

OP
bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
It does not need to be on the root of your sd card. Just install it, if i remember correctly you have to dismount tje sd card then run the app. Its been awhile do i am fuzzy on the steps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cmanfore

Reaction score
Ahh got it! Any ROMs worth trying yet?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums