Scanning for Wi-Fi every 5 Seconds

papat912

Reaction score
Is it normal for my GS3 to scan for Wi-Fi networks every 5 seconds even when I'm connected to a network? Is this a great battery drain?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you are connected with a solid connection that isn't having a problem it isn't normal at all. You may want to take a look at my WiFi link in the signature below to see if something there corrects the problem. My guesses are either interference or a channel overlap.

OP
P

papat912

Reaction score
I change routers to my old stable router and also changed router channel, and still have network scanning every 5 seconds on my GS3.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I change routers to my old stable router and also changed router channel, and still have network scanning every 5 seconds on my GS3.

There may be some interferrence or channel conflict. Check the link in my sig for some suggestions. If none of those work/help the only thing I could suggest would be a factory reset.

OP
P

papat912

Reaction score
If you are connected with a solid connection that isn't having a problem it isn't normal at all. You may want to take a look at my WiFi link in the signature below to see if something there corrects the problem. My guesses are either interference or a channel overlap.

Where is "my WiFi link in the signature" that you are talking about?

OP
P

papat912

Reaction score
LEESHOR, I may be a little dense but I could not fine any info on, the link you gave me, as to why my GS3 scanning Wi-Fi networks every 5 seconds.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would power cycle both the router and the modem. See if that helps.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something that made a huge difference for me was settings, Wi-Fi, tap the Wi-Fi icon, long press the connected network, modify network, scroll down to the toe if connection, chose static ip, tapped save and my Wi-Fi on a finicky router is SO much more dependable.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
P

papat912

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark, that didn't work. And yes I've tried other hotspot locations and the Wi-Fi Network still scans every 5 seconds.

RossD

Reaction score
Mine does this also. I see it is continually scanning and showing different available wife connections even though I have a good connection to my home router.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums