Screen lock during call unlocks and mutes/ends calls/totally pisses me off

MarshallCS

Reaction score
i had that problem, and i occasionally still do, but this is how i alleviated it.

you have to use your right ear. the proximity sensor is on the left side somewhat close to the M in motorola. So to make sure its activated try to press and angle the phone so the top left corner of the phone is hitting the upper inside of your pinnae.

A little bit of practice has for the most part fixed my problem… its happened once over the last month.

ShowTime

Reaction score
i had that problem, and i occasionally still do, but this is how i alleviated it.

you have to use your right ear. the proximity sensor is on the left side somewhat close to the M in motorola. So to make sure its activated try to press and angle the phone so the top left corner of the phone is hitting the upper inside of your pinnae.

A little bit of practice has for the most part fixed my problem… its happened once over the last month.

For the record, when the phone is working 100% properly, this isn't an issue. Mine works held to either ear, held between my shoulder and ear, between pillow and ear, while jogging... I can even hold the phone away from my ear/head a good 2 inches and it stays dark. I have never once had this problem with my phone; it operates flawlessly. From what I've seen, there are just some people/some phones that inexplicably have this issue with no apparent reason or fix. I know that isn't particularly helpful to hear, but it's all I got at this point...

T

tsitalon1

My wife has the same problem...

Any Devs wanna tackle this? maybe use the camera button to lock the screen?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is a KNOWN issue for people with long hair. I'm assuming you are a woman.

Move the hair out of the way and it wont do it anymore.

Don't kill the messenger and all that : )

I don't know why long hair causes this but it does.

As an experiment to see that the sensor works. Place a call to somebody who will sit in silence for a moment. After you dial hold the device in your hand and place a finger over the upper left side of the phone. You will see the screen go blank. Pull your finger off and it will come back on.

dkharvey

Reaction score
I am a lefty and i have long blonde hair. I only have this problem when i try to use the phone on my left ear (which is what im most comfortable with). I just wish someone would make an app that would lock the screen.

tingsgirl

Reaction score
i am a fidgety one when it comes to talking to my girls on the phone and was constantly hanging up on them, the app idea to lock the screen is a really good idea, and how the gentleman on the 1st page said " holding the phone a certain way" is exactly what fixed my problem, never upset me tho its always fun playing phone tag haha...

dkharvey

Reaction score
Found an app!

OK, I found an app that will lock the screen during calls. It's called screen suite. It costs $1.99 but totally worth it to be able to correct this problem. It is from apps beyond. Just search for it.:icon_ banana:

stick1300

Reaction score
I, like so many others, had a terrible problem with hanging up/muting people for first couple weeks I had my phone, but I got a MUCH needed hair cut and now it's fine. If I hadn't been wanting to cut my hair short again for summer (I'm a guy, btw) I probably would have gotten the app dkharvey mentioned.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
This is a KNOWN issue for people with long hair. I'm assuming you are a woman.

Move the hair out of the way and it wont do it anymore.

Don't kill the messenger and all that : )

I don't know why long hair causes this but it does.
NOPE, as stated above, I have short hair and its almost military short. That's definitely not my issue.

Not killing the messenger, hope that helps someone else, but it wasn't the problem in my case.

As an experiment to see that the sensor works. Place a call to somebody who will sit in silence for a moment. After you dial hold the device in your hand and place a finger over the upper left side of the phone. You will see the screen go blank. Pull your finger off and it will come back on.
I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and you can bet I tried that. I tried EVERYTHING!!! I was at the point that I was going to construct my own makeshift, cover that I could flip over the sensor when I was on a call to keep the buttons from becoming live, but sometimes you would pull the phone away from your head and the screen would STAY dark and the only button to make it live again was the top ON/OFF/LOCK button. Even then you had to do the slide-to-unlock on the face so clearly the proximity/light sensor was defective in some way or another.

Weekend update: Still working like it should, no complaints yet. Also downloaded the software upgrade this weekend and I love the new dual pick for resizing photos, works almost as good as an Iphone in that respect.

Ej4

Reaction score
Probably was that screen protector of yours

DroolingOnDroid

Reaction score
Have same problems..

I have the exact same problems and without any cover or screen protector. Have had droid for a week and have probably been able to make one call properly during that time. Sometimes, I hang up, sometimes I start a conference call with my voice mail, or someone else, and sometimes it mutes me. My droid also likes to dial some random numbers for me. I recvd the 2.1 update over the weekend and the problem has stayed.

The sensor works if I put my hand over it. But sometimes and not always when I am in call.

After searhcing thru the forum, I found the hair being the reason for the sensor acting funny. And yes, I am a girl with hair just touching to my chin.

Personally, I find this solution of moving the hair away unacceptable. The phone is supposed to work for me and make my life easier.. not the other way round. And, about holding the phone a certain way, how do you stay focussed on keeping the phone aligned a certain way when if you are talking on the phone while doing something else.

I am sorry for venting out like this. I feel extremely disappointed by the phone. Ever since getting the phone, I have spent 2-3 hours a day on this forum (yipee!) trying to find solutions for all the various problems I am facing with the phone. Some have been solved - some not. This one is a bi sticking point though.

If anyone has any experience with the app mentioned earlier that will lock the screen during call, please let me know. eg: how do you unlock the screen once it gets locked.

I feel like I am going from "droolingondroid" to "pukingondroid". I was hoping for a better experience from a google/moto phone. I haven't yet been able to enjoy the phone to allow its good features to sweep me off the floor. I am still dealing with all the issues.. starting from getting gmail to work on it. (thats been miraculously fixed).

Anyways, that was cathartic and felt good. Thanks for reading! and of course, any fixes (to the phone) are more than welcomed.

Probably was that screen protector of yours

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Don't really feel like reading all the posts but let me just go ahead and agree this is annoying to me as well. Let's just state from the start that I have short hair, as in less than half an inch. Same deal, every now and then I'll be talking on the phone and I might accidentally pull it ever so slightly away from my face and the screen will come back on without me noticing. Next thing I know my gf will be like, "Hey...hey!...Hello?" and at the same time I'm like, "Yeah?...What?...What?!" As I posted on another thread, this happened about three times before I realized what was actually happening was the screen was coming back on and my cheek was hitting the mute button. I wish there was a way you could lock the screen so that the only way it would come back on is if you pressed the power button.

MrTommy

Reaction score
One of my friends says she has a similar problem, with the phone hanging up in the middle of calls. She's got long hair as well. Don't know if her hubby has swapped phones with her to test it. I know she returned to Verizon, they did "something" (her words) and told her to try it and come back. Sort of like a "take two aspirins and call me in the morning" thing. Well, it still isn't working. Think I'll send her this link...:icon_evil: