Serious question, what is the best app to find your phone?

jimmythegent

Reaction score
And I mean just like Apples "Where is my iPhone?"

I had SeekMyAndroid, but guess what? All of a sudden its not supported anymore, so had I misplaced my phone, I would not be able to locate it, thank you!!!

Just downloaded some goofy app Life 360, not what I want, then there is another app, thats supposed to be just like the iOS version, BUT, and a big but, is the friggin app has to be turned on... so if you got an auto app closer or whatever, it deactivates it... real nice... trying real hard not to get cynical.

Anyway, an app like this is much needed for any phone and let me know what you have.

James

SJBBF

Reaction score
I've tried a few, but feel Googles Android Device Manager easily does what those othe apps claim to.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As SJBBF said, Android Device Manager works pretty good to find your phone. It's not really an app that you install on your phone, it's something you setup in your Google account and then turn on the permission on your phone. You can locate your phone from your PC, using the phone's GPS signal; and I think you can even remotely factory reset your phone from your PC if your phone is stolen.

Lookout is a pretty highly rated app that lets you find your phone from their website on your PC. I have had it installed on several different phones and never had any issues. I think you can remotely wipe the phone from the website also and there is a "make my phone scream" option that is pretty cool if your phone is lost; it will sound a very loud alarm tone for 5 minutes (or something like that) regardless of the volume setting on the phone. I have Lookout setup on my wife's phone also and scared the "you know what" out of her one day testing the make my phone scream option. Pretty funny!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry, why is everything double posting lately?

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Found my RAZR M flawlessly with Android Device Manager about 10 days ago. I had dropped it in a grocery store parking lot while getting out of my car. 2 days later Android Device Manager gave me a map location "within 4 meters" and it was literally within 4 meters of the shown location. I requested ring and saw a man pull it out of his pocket to try and make it shut up. He truly had no bad intentions, but he also had no way to figure out who it belonged to or how to return it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Found my RAZR M flawlessly with Android Device Manager about 10 days ago. I had dropped it in a grocery store parking lot while getting out of my car. 2 days later Android Device Manager gave me a map location "within 4 meters" and it was literally within 4 meters of the shown location. I requested ring and saw a man pull it out of his pocket to try and make it shut up. He truly had no bad intentions, but he also had no way to figure out who it belonged to or how to return it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Good to know it works so well & glad you got your phone beck.

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Ok so scrap that Manager then, there is nothing out there that just works like the iCloud? Its just pretty much a GPS locator, not sure why this is hard for them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ok so scrap that Manager then, there is nothing out there that just works like the iCloud? Its just pretty much a GPS locator, not sure why this is hard for them.

I don't know anything about iCloud, but Android Device Manager sounds pretty much the same. It will show you on a map exactly where your phone is located, within a few meters. It's pretty easy to setup and pretty accurate. It's worth a try in my opinion & then if you don't like it, you can turn it off.
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I guess I will, the only thing I didnt like about it was that if you close the app, you cant find the phone?? iCloud, it doesnt matter, there is a way to turn off being able to be found, but thats an option.

Ill give it a shot.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I guess I will, the only thing I didnt like about it was that if you close the app, you cant find the phone?? iCloud, it doesnt matter, there is a way to turn off being able to be found, but thats an option.

Ill give it a shot.

Not sure what you mean by "close the app"? There is no app to install on the phone. Just set it up in the website, turn on the permission on your phone (Settings > Security > Device Admin > Android Manager and you are done. Nothing to open or close on the phone. Just log into the website and click find my phone and it finds it and shows you a map. I just tried it and I work in a remote location and it showed me exactly where I am at; never touched my phone. It's really simple, nothing to fuss with on your phone...nothing to open or close...just give it permission one time and you are good to go. If you decide you don't like it, go back to the same settings screen and uncheck it.

lloydsw

Reaction score
I'll just pipe in & add that the best thing about this website (not an app Jimmy) is that it will ring your phone even if the ringer is off - and it will do so for 5(!) minutes which gives you plenty of time to find the phone. Prior to finding this website I would have to call from my computer with my google voice number & hope to find my phone before it went to voicemail.

I'll also note that there *is* an app for this - which is quite handy if you have more than one android device under your gmail account. For me this means that I was able to put the app on my tab & use it to find the phone.

lloydsw

Reaction score
I'll just pipe in & add that the best thing about this website (not an app Jimmy) is that it will ring your phone even if the ringer is off - and it will do so for 5(!) minutes which gives you plenty of time to find the phone. Prior to finding this website I would have to call from my computer with my google voice number & hope to find my phone before it went to voicemail.

I'll also note that there *is* an app for this - which is quite handy if you have more than one android device under your gmail account. For me this means that I was able to put the app on my tab & use it to find the phone.

Scott0719

Reaction score
I just located my phone using it. Very easy and simple to use. When I got my Moto X it asked me to set that feature up. Never really new how to use it till now. I'm not sure what else you would want from it. Give it a try.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is also an app so you can use your phone to find another phone, like your spouse's or kid's phone. You don't have to go to the browser.

Duster

Reaction score
I have used the "Where's my Droid" app for several years. It is free (pay upgrade but I've never felt the need) and allows you to text the lost phone and either cause it to ring and flash, or send you the phone location by GPS. It can be configured to do the GPS work in the background, so that if it is stolen (or on a teen's phone) you can check the location without alerting the phone. It also allows remote wipe.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk