Some of the more subtle differences between Droid-1 and 2. *Day-1*

moneymatt

Reaction score
So I just moved from a stock Droid 1 running 2.1 to a Droid-2 on 2.2. Here's some of the out of the way differences i've found.

1) The phone now allows you to voice dictate dirty words!!
I love that I can now curse out my droid and it knows exactly what i'm talking about. No more ####
Settings->Voice Recognizer Settings->Adjust SafeSearch for google by voice / Uncheck 'Block Offensive Words'
It's a great feeling to know Steve Jobs isn't there to protect me from the evils of the world.

2) MediaShare is pretty damn cool! ..
You now have a one-click option to copy files wirelessly from your computer to your phone, copy files from one phone to another, or play a video from your phone on a T.V.

3) MediaShare is scary-
It also operates as a kind of one-stop hacker tool. You can walk around a city and have it notify you of open network shares.. and then you can click a button and move files from people's unsecured computers. It's kind of frightening to me that Droid-2 is unleashing that kind of wardialing functionality on the world.

4) Google's new voice command support is ridiculously powerful.
"Set Alarm Clock for 8 a.m." BOOM
"Text Annie i'll meet you at the club in twenty minutes" BOOM
That's just scratching the surface..

It's new integration with all text fields is pretty well done and extremely useful.

5) MotoBlur is no big deal.
A lot of people are freaking out about motoblur ruining the droid experience but that's a load of crap.
It's really just a bunch of widgets you don't have to use and for me are already in the trash. The new home navigation system is really good.

6) The Droid-2 DOES NOT fit in the old droid car navigation dock!!
damn it! I have a custom setup in my car with the old dock hot-glued above my stereo and now have to upgrade to a new one.
The new droid 2 car navigation dock is much more awkward to insert the phone into, but it does have a dedicated power-supply now which is useful. At least you get some new functionality out of repurchasing the accessory.

7) The Droid-2 DOES fit in the old multimedia dock.
A tighter squeeze but it works. thank god. I would have gone ballistic if Motorola had done the RIM move of moving the usb port 1/8 of an inch in another direction.

8) The Droid-2 clock interface when you put it in the multimedia dock is UGLY AS SIN.

A cluster-**** from hell. what a nightmare and a huge step backwards. What were they thinking?!

9) Applications I purchased with my google account on Droid-1 are NOT showing up as already puchased on the droid-2..

I hope this is user error on my part and I don't have to repurchase apps. I was fine when I had to move purchased apps to an incredible so I don't know what the hell is going on.

10) The forced bloatware SUCKS. In particular "City-ID" ..

There's a forced caller-id feature that asks me if i'd like to pay 2 dollars a month for after I finish phone calls. There's no way to delete the app, and I can't even say i'm not interested, just that i'd "like to continue the trial" or "purchase"

It just waits for you to push the wrong button after a call and subscribe.. HORRIBLE.

11) The keyboard is way better..
I now can type with flat fingers instead of just the pointed pecking tips. Good Job.

12) You can now configure a "double-tap" for the home button.
Settings->Application Settings->Double Tap Home Launch. About ten things to choose from, I have it set for texting.

All in all this upgrade is awesome. The phone is way more responsive, the functionality has gone up in a good way, and it's truely a productive device..

Of course there's also the one-click wireless hotspot which rules, FLASH works WELL, and all the other known additions.

11/10 in my book.

go droid-2! I couldn't be happier about the upgrade.

$Matt

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
this is what it's all about with the Droid 2...the "small" things make a huge difference.

Good job Motorola

n0yxl

Reaction score
#1 & #4 on your list are functional on the D1 as well. To you have to pay an extra monthly charge for the hotspot feature?

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
So I just moved from a stock Droid 1 running 2.1 to a Droid-2 on 2.2. Here's some of the out of the way differences i've found.

9) Applications I purchased with my google account on Droid-1 are NOT showing up as already puchased on the droid-2..

I hope this is user error on my part and I don't have to repurchase apps. I was fine when I had to move purchased apps to an incredible so I don't know what the hell is going on.

10) The forced bloatware SUCKS. In particular "City-ID" ..

There's a forced caller-id feature that asks me if i'd like to pay 2 dollars a month for after I finish phone calls. There's no way to delete the app, and I can't even say i'm not interested, just that i'd "like to continue the trial" or "purchase"

It just waits for you to push the wrong button after a call and subscribe.. HORRIBLE.

For 10, if you select continue trial, it shouldn't bother you for a while, and once the trial expires, it will ask you one time if you want to buy it, and when you say no, it shuts down and won't bug you again (at least that is how it worked on the DINC and DX).

For 9, it isn't user error. Same thing happened when the DX came out. It will take Google a couple of days to get the market accepting the D2 identifier for apps marked as "Private" (a type of copy protection) to show as purchased. Note that most of these won't even show in the market on the D2 at all, let alone un-purchased. Should be all better in a day or two.

Alan

OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
#1 & #4 on your list are functional on the D1 as well. To you have to pay an extra monthly charge for the hotspot feature?

Sweet, I'm sure a lot of this is related to 2.2 which will be on the droid-1 soon enough.

The hotspot feature is $20 a month- there's plenty of free tethering options out there as well.

On a side note, my upgrade came because the screen on my droid-1 lost half it's functionality and it's now considered a discontinued phone. Verizon just dropped a droid-2 on me instead as a replacement.

$Matt

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, good write up, I had a chance to play with a D2 and the keyboard was amazing, it was like typing on a cloud, with all of these improvements I cannot wait for the MDP

OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
[/quote]

For 10, if you select continue trial, it shouldn't bother you for a while, and once the trial expires, it will ask you one time if you want to buy it, and when you say no, it shuts down and won't bug you again (at least that is how it worked on the DINC and DX).

For 9, it isn't user error. Same thing happened when the DX came out. It will take Google a couple of days to get the market accepting the D2 identifier for apps marked as "Private" (a type of copy protection) to show as purchased. Note that most of these won't even show in the market on the D2 at all, let alone un-purchased. Should be all better in a day or two.

Alan[/QUOTE]

Aaah, thanks for this information Alan- Good to know these issues will sort themselves out in time.. =)

best,
$Matt

HirolMalt

Reaction score
11) The keyboard is way better..
I now can type with flat fingers instead of just the pointed pecking tips. Good Job.

I agree 100%. The keyboard is wider since the DPad is gone and now the keys are easier to use. I hated the original Droid's keyboard.

phatkat66

Reaction score
Curious, I have a Droid X can I set the offensive language off/on? I tried looking for it but i don't see it and I was informed the droid2 is the same as the droid X except in hardware capabilities.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Curious, I have a Droid X can I set the offensive language off/on? I tried looking for it but i don't see it and I was informed the droid2 is the same as the droid X except in hardware capabilities.

No, droid2 has android 2.2 on it. Droid X will get 2.2 "by early September".

phatkat66

Reaction score
Ok cool so in September I can curse out my droidX and have it curse out my friends..... lovely Lol

as stupid as it may sound, I think thats the best feature im looking forward to. Lol Now my friends/family will know my true intentions while im driving and im speech-texting lol

dwagner88

Reaction score
Just curious, is anybody seeing the signal strength issues that Engadget had? They gave the phone a pretty bad review.

Oh BTW OP: 11/10 makes no sense. If a phone is 11/10 then it has no flaws, and you mention several flaws. At best this is an 8/10 phone.

OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
Just curious, is anybody seeing the signal strength issues that Engadget had? They gave the phone a pretty bad review.

Oh BTW OP: 11/10 makes no sense. If a phone is 11/10 then it has no flaws, and you mention several flaws. At best this is an 8/10 phone.

Nah- I stand behind the 11/10 review as of now.

Most of my mentioned "flaws" were either in areas that are so far and above what I would ask for from a 10/10 phone or have already been corrected. (i.e two days til I can download my purchased apps in marketplace when servers catch up)

No problems with Signal issues so far-

I think the IPhone caused this signal hysteria issue but the real issue was always AT&T with its poor overloaded coverage. Verizon is a beast when it comes to blasting signal. I'm not worried in the slightest.

$Matt