Sony shows love for devs; XperiaS Open Source archives available for custom ROMs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
XperiaS-dev-love.jpg

Sony really seems to be going out of their way to improve their reputation with the Android smartphone community, especially with the devs. They recently made their entire source code archive for the Xperia S available directly to the community, specifically to help developers create custom ROMs and mods. In fact, they even included complete instructions on building custom ROMs and kernels for use on that device. How's that for showing some love to devs by going the extra mile?

With Sony's new high-end Xperia ICS phones expected to hit sometime this year, along with this amazing commitment to the developer community, could we finally see the rise of Sony as one of the big serious Android competitors this year? Share your opinion.

Source: Phandroid and SonyMobile

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
If they keep this up, I could see them gathering a much larger following in the future. Reaching out to the dev community is an excellent way to bolster a company's reputation. We tend to have some sway over what our non-tech-saavy friends/family members purchase.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
This is a good direction for sony! Keep it up! Some manufacturers could learn from this....*cough* *cough* moto.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using DroidForums

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think that this could make sony a huge contender. depending on build and radio quality .. could be interesting ,,

Htown315

Reaction score
If they keep this up, I could see them gathering a much larger following in the future. Reaching out to the dev community is an excellent way to bolster a company's reputation. We tend to have some sway over what our non-tech-saavy friends/family members purchase.

^this. Motorola needs to pay attention here. I personally have steered all of my friends and family away from Moto phones for their lack of dev love. That's close to fifty handsets in 2011 that moto lost out on and that's not counting what these people tell others after I swayed there opinions. I will not forgive. I will not forget...locked boot loaders!!!!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sony opening their code up to developers is going to make everyday people buy there device over another, but developers will be all over this for sure.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sony opening their code up to developers is going to make everyday people buy there device over another, but developers will be all over this for sure.
I see myself having to agree with this. I for one would love to test this baby out in a ROM. But I don't know if it'll get people to want to switch over or anything like that.. more like just something fun for a ROM that's different than the "everyday" Android OS/ROM.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This peaks my interest big time. I am in no way a programmer and could never develop a rom, I'd leave that to those capable of doing it. If anyone was to ask me my opinion on what phone to get, I'd be inclined to suggest a Sony phone if this continues and turns out to be a very good thing. Quality of the hardware I am sure is high as its Sony.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Depends on the quality and specs of the hardware... if one of the open phones looks good and competes in looks, speed, and quality vs the other high-end devices, then I can see myself taking their phones in to consideration next year (when my next upgrade is)... But if they're going to put out sub-par devices then the openness means less and less to me. I want something I can be proud of, and want​ to use...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I posted something about this over on xda two weeks ago or so. As sleek as Sony's phones look, this has been what's really made me look towards them for my upgrade at the end of this year. I've seen all the headaches the devs have to deal with and all the lag time to receive new Roms for moto products because of their locked bootloaders, via VZW, and lack of support.

The only issue I have is that all of Sony's sleekest, high-end phones lack keyboards, but if the package is right other than that I'd consider it worthwhile to go to the local fab shop and design a click on sliding BT qwerty. It's looking more and more likely that I will be leaving Moto behind.

52brandon

Reaction score
not immediately, but it will likely have a trickle down effect. When Bill goes to upgrade his phone and checks what the office tech guy has to copy him and see he has a sony, it'll hit the regular market more too... (all my speculation of course)