Specks on screen under very specific conditions... anyone else?

undisclosed

Reaction score
I was watching Netflix on my phone in bed the other night and during a particularly dark scene (dark as in no lights, not evil) I kept noticing a stationary black speck every time that part of the screen had a dark background. It wasn’t overly obvious, but once it caught my eye I couldn’t stop thinking about it so I decided to investigate.

I realized that I couldn’t see it when a light was on in the room, nor against any background that wasn’t practically black in color. To test it out I turned out the lights and took a picture with no flash to get a solid near-black screen. With that photo open and no lights on, there are several distinct black specks throughout the screen. I can’t think of a better way to describe it and was unable to take a picture of it with my digital camera due to the required absence of light, but it makes me think of what a constellation would look like if the stars were darker than the sky.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or would some of you mind seeing if you could recreate it? If it’s a normal/common thing I’ll get over it since it’s not noticeable most of the time, but if not I’d like to know before the rapidly approaching end of my 14-day period so I can ask for a new phone.

To review: the screen has to be on (can’t see it when it’s locked/off) but very dark, and you have to be in dark room with no lights.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Known issue with SAMOLED displays, said to be due to the adhesive used on the back to adhere it to the motherboard. There's nothing to worry about. It varies from almost non-existent for some, to large blotches for others. It's purely hit or miss if you get one that it's very visible.

arrndroid

Reaction score
Mines got it too, 3 black dots

Good to know there is a reason.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

OP
U

undisclosed

Reaction score
Known issue with SAMOLED displays, said to be due to the adhesive used on the back to adhere it to the motherboard. There's nothing to worry about. It varies from almost non-existent for some, to large blotches for others. It's purely hit or miss if you get one that it's very visible.

Thanks for the response... it's good to know that it's a common thing. At least mine isn't too noticeable.