Stuck!

dan j

Reaction score
I got a notification for an update and told it to install. It failed and now my edge is stuck on the red Vz screen! Can anyone give me some advice - please?

OP
dan j

dan j

Reaction score
I've tried VZ help page saying to hold down the volume down button to go to safe mode but it doesn't do anything.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hold Power, Home, and Volume UP with the phone off. Does that boot you into recovery mode? If so, what are your options?

OP
dan j

dan j

Reaction score
Vz tried. They said it's stuck in a boot loop and I'm SOL.

OP
dan j

dan j

Reaction score
I have to pay a deductible for a phone that worked until I applied Verizon's update.

Asurion is giving me the run around because it's not showing physical damage!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If you have a computer, you can install the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant (if you haven't already) and if you plug your phone in via USB and the SUA recognizes your device you can possibly restore your device that way.

Reactions: cr6

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You have use the Repair Assistant part of the SUA program - I haven't used the program in a couple of years but if you call into VZW Tech Support, they should be able to walk you thru the process.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Samsung's own software for the PC, Kies might also be able to reflash the device. There's something called Odin as well, but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and Kies.

You'd think VZW could reflash it for you. You'll lose data, but better to have a working phone and have to rebuild some of your data than have nothing.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wait something is missing from this. Did you try and root?

If not then you should not have to pay for anything. If the phone had a software glitch then that is a manufacturer flaw not on you. Especially since Verizon has been known to kick out an ota that bricks phones (most of the time they catch it early so it is not widespread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
2 things. I didn't know verizon recently pushed any updates to the Note series

Also 100% as PC747 says. If you weren't rooted or tried to root and it was caused by an update then it should be covered. Especially if you have the protection

Note 4tified

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This update is screwy..I had to take it twice day before yesterday... But it didn't mess up my edge..

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wait something is missing from this. Did you try and root?

If not then you should not have to pay for anything. If the phone had a software glitch then that is a manufacturer flaw not on you. Especially since Verizon has been known to kick out an ota that bricks phones (most of the time they catch it early so it is not widespread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2 things. I didn't know verizon recently pushed any updates to the Note series

Also 100% as PC747 says. If you weren't rooted or tried to root and it was caused by an update then it should be covered. Especially if you have the protection

Note 4tified
Yes, your phone is still under warranty so you should get a replacement through Verizon for free.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
dan j

dan j

Reaction score
If you don't have it installed on your computer, this might be a mute point :( if you cannot get the auto-installer to pop-up...

Here is a link for info... Initial Setup - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless
Ok, so I'm not nuts, there is supposed to be a popup and it's not working? I have been searching and searching for the software so I'm glad it's not just me. Ugh, so now what? I read that someone posted about Samsung's own software and Kies (?) but I would prefer to stick with Vz.

So, I was at work, sorry for the delayed replies. To answer some other questions, no the phone was not rooted, it was working perfectly until the update, Vz would not help me or warranty it, and I am pissed about that. But, I need a phone so I had to accept their deal and will deal with it later.

I was so mad when that friggen Droid died (laid on it's back) and it said failed on the screen. Ugh.

Also, they have no Note Edge's so if you're getting a replacement it's going to be something else - and it won't have an edge :mad:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
KIES is Samsung's software and should resolve the problem. Verizon doesn't have software of this nature to do anything for this particular problem.
As everybody has mentioned, this happened due to a software update and you will not be charged for it. If you had a VZW rep tell you otherwise, then you need to call back and speak to another rep, or better yet, take it into a Verizon corporate store. You need to fight this.

In the meantime download KIES to your PC and plug in your device. If you can resolve the problem, simply don't accept delivery of the replacement device, and you'll get your money back.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n