Tethering 3g to Xbox 360?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no broadband available, but perfect 3G coverage. We live in the country, if that means anything.

OP
S

ssgterry87

Reaction score
Well, results are in, i tethered my xbox for 4 hr 22 mins last night, iused almost 46 mb..... which i do not believe was too bad, so around average of 11.5 mb an hour, and i checked this through verizons app of usage. It works great for me, as long as u have all your bars on your signal strength, but ive noticed that if u do not have perfect signal strenth, u can plug ur usb cord into ur xbox to ur phone to charge it and it gives "my phone" a great boost. I have also checked with players in game about my connection, havent had any complaints yet...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's about the same calculation I had.

OP
S

ssgterry87

Reaction score
Which part? Kol

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I said 2-4 MB's per round, and one round was about 15 minutes.

OP
S

ssgterry87

Reaction score
Oh, yea, that's about what I estimated..

mack19318

Reaction score
Used both wired and wireless tether for my droid and have gotten into 60+ gigs a few times and not one call email or anything else. Have also used a dumb phone the samsung impression to tether when I had no reception with verizon and in 4hrs used 5+ gigs and not a word either. And go to websites that you can with your phone? I switch my "user agent" to desktop and I haven't run accross any sites I couldn't access yet? I have looked and have not found any proof of anyone rooted being busted. And I have heard of the "packet sniffer's" that someone said vzw can use, isn't being tethered through your phone mean the data is going to your phone and then to your pc/laptop/ipad/ps3/xbox/wii ? How would a packet sniffer find out with happened to the data once it got to your phone? Would that be invasion of privacy for vzw to go through your phone to see what you've been doing?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Used both wired and wireless tether for my droid and have gotten into 60+ gigs a few times and not one call email or anything else. Have also used a dumb phone the samsung impression to tether when I had no reception with verizon and in 4hrs used 5+ gigs and not a word either. And go to websites that you can with your phone? I switch my "user agent" to desktop and I haven't run accross any sites I couldn't access yet? I have looked and have not found any proof of anyone rooted being busted. And I have heard of the "packet sniffer's" that someone said vzw can use, isn't being tethered through your phone mean the data is going to your phone and then to your pc/laptop/ipad/ps3/xbox/wii ? How would a packet sniffer find out with happened to the data once it got to your phone? Would that be invasion of privacy for vzw to go through your phone to see what you've been doing?

60 gigs...wtf are you doing? Haha i dont even make 1 quarter of that on my 12mbps cable.... im not saying i dont believe you. I want to but...One month=60 gigs? On a 30 day month, thats 2 gigs a day! 2000mb/24= 83mb per hour...83/60=1.38mb per minute ... If my math is right here, then 60gb is really pushing what you can do in a month and that is at 1.3mb/s. That is if you were at it every second...everyday of the 30 day month. 1.3 mb/s is far better than what i can even come close to achieve. i can barely get 700 on a good day but i am in the country. I believe users can get to 1.3mb/s but to get those speeds that means you will probably have to be in preferred conditions. In this 1 month, you have never been out of preferred conditions? Again...im wanting to believe this as i believe in the truly unlimited data part, but boasting 60 gigs in a month... well on a 3g network is quite remarkable to say the least. I want to live in your area if your getting that good of condtions. And to try to answer your question, well im not a lawyer so i cannot say thats invading your privacy. But id say 60gb a month would be highly suspicious behavior and the overuse of the network qualifies for an investigation of some sort. (i know some power companies will investigate people who use an insane amount of power, or even water companies with users using an insane amount of water) I don't imagine Verizon would let their network to be abused like that. Also you talk about packet sniffers. Idk about that but look at IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup under browsers mine says "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/8.0.552.224 Safari/534.10" lol im not tethering but if it said that while tethering im sure it would be a dead giveaway.

**Editing my math here.. 60GB/30Days=2GB/Day. 2GB=2000MB. 2000MB/24Hours=83.33MB/Hour. 83.33MB=85329.92KB. 85329.92KB/60Min=1422.16KB/Min. 1422.16KB/60Sec=23.70KB/Sec. This seems A LOT more feasible with good math. :)

And for those of you who like it simple:
60 Gigabytes (GB) = 62914560 Kilobytes (KB)
So: 62914560KB/30days=2097152KB/Day. 2097152KB/24Hours=87381KB/Hour. 87381KB/60Min=1456KB/Min. 1456KB/60Sec=24KB/Sec. So i guess, this confirms the possibility of that much data on a 3g network. Disregard was i said before Mack...thats awesome that you can go through that much data. You torrent or something?

Last edited:

mack19318

Reaction score
For 60+ gigs i wasn't trying to abuse, just ran into a situation! I had my itunes collection on my laptop and my 17 month old son managed to stick a chunk of "slim jim" in the ethernet port. I didn't have a wireless router at the time so used my droid to transfer my music to desktop, so my laptop could be sent in.
The second time going over 60+ gigs is the itunes, pictures, and videos again through the droid to desktop to repair the ethernet port which burnt out on its own after only 8 days of being back!
And for perfect conditions, I live less than 2 miles to the vzw tower that provides 3g service.
And ipchicken? Well its still the user agent on my phone that is being switched to say desktop. I am using lfy 1.95 and I think the user agent settings are "android, desktop, iphone, explorer 5 or 6"
if the data going to the phone is desktop, or explorer, and you can get to full websites ( try going to ebay without changing user agent and you will get ebays mobile site which you can't do very much on) on your phone then how would vzw know where the data is going after it reaches your phone?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
For 60+ gigs i wasn't trying to abuse, just ran into a situation! I had my itunes collection on my laptop and my 17 month old son managed to stick a chunk of "slim jim" in the ethernet port. I didn't have a wireless router at the time so used my droid to transfer my music to desktop, so my laptop could be sent in.
The second time going over 60+ gigs is the itunes, pictures, and videos again through the droid to desktop to repair the ethernet port which burnt out on its own after only 8 days of being back!
And for perfect conditions, I live less than 2 miles to the vzw tower that provides 3g service.
And ipchicken? Well its still the user agent on my phone that is being switched to say desktop. I am using lfy 1.95 and I think the user agent settings are "android, desktop, iphone, explorer 5 or 6"
if the data going to the phone is desktop, or explorer, and you can get to full websites ( try going to ebay without changing user agent and you will get ebays mobile site which you can't do very much on) on your phone then how would vzw know where the data is going after it reaches your phone?

OMG slim jim.... That is classic. lol. your probably going to be laughing or still pissed about that when your 80, but you'll definitely remember. :) As for the user agent... idk, that was my only guess. I used to tether a lot but that was when i had the crappiest satalite internet service ever. 1.0mbps! and a delay. As a nerd, and gamer that was disgraceful...Tethering really helped.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tried this on my ps3 tonight. I managed to get a connection and use the browser. However it wouldnt connect to 2k servers when I played nba 2k11.

Also when using it with my pc I tend to have the connection dropped. Im using wireless tether.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

mewshi

Reaction score
Actually, it does affect other people. Its a bloody tragedy of the commons. Do you know what that is? Its where people say "eh, one more little bit wont hurt" until, boom, the field is eaten bare by the goats. Or, in this case, all the bandwidth is being used by people who somehow find it necessary to play relatively heavy multiplayer online. also, the more bandwidth people use, the more vzw has to charge customers. Sure, unlimited should be unlimited usage, but don't be a jerk about it and say that just because you can't get half-decent internet where you live that its ok to use a MUCH more "expensive" network to do something that isn't all that important.

Plus, its really stupid to advertise on the internet that you're breaking someones TOS. Just because you don't know of it happening doesn't mean its not. It really wouldn't surprise me if vzw started dropping customers they suspect of tethering, right around the time LTE really takes off, to free up that bandwidth that's being wasted on "useless" things like bittorrent and console games.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Guys, lets all take a breath...its not THAT serious :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

mewshi

Reaction score
Actually, considering that people thinking the word unlimited frees them from responsible usage norms, thus increasing costs to consumers, costs ME money every month, yeah, its a little serious. Admittedly, I tether (once in a great while), but its only for small things that are a little more important in life than fragging noobs. Like when I have to register for classes and Im out on the road.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App