Textra update blocks Stagefright exploit

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Textra.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say Textra is probably one of the top 5 or 6 SMS apps available in the Play Store. I know I've seen a lot of DF'ers recommend it here when people ask which ones to use. The July 31st update of Textra may just have a feature that will get more of us to try it. I tried it once ages ago and thought I'd give it another go around after I read about this.

The July 31st update of Textra provides a fix for the Stagefright exploit recently announced.

Quote from Delicious Inc. changelog (Textra Dev):
  • IMPORTANT: Protection from Stagefright! Video messages can contain an exploit called Stagefright that can harm your phone. Textra SMS protects by ensuring new video messages can not automatically run the exploit.
Hopefully, the other SMS devs will follow suite and those of us on Non-Nexus devices won't have to wait for carrier/manufacturer updates.

Source: Textra
Play Store Link

Attachments

• Textra.jpg
    Textra.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pretty impressed actually. It's lightweight, and REALLY customizable. You can set different colors for the icon and the notification or the text bubbles for each conversation. You can quickly change sounds for each person. You can control the notification shade and quick reply.
I haven't seen one do a lot of these things.

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Saw the update the other day and wasn't too sure of what StageFright was until I googled it. Glad to see their team is on top of things when it comes to security.

I've been using Textra for about a year now? Hands down the best messaging app I've ever used and I've used them all. They recently implemented more customization options and it really is great. The best part is, even after all the texting I do, it doesn't slow down to crawl unlike a few other messaging apps I've tried in the past. An app really worth paying for.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pay for? It's not free? Am I in a trial or something because it didn't ask for money.

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pay for? It's not free? Am I in a trial or something because it didn't ask for money.

TapaTurbo
Well it is free, but I'm sure you've seen some ads (unless you're rooted and have adblock)? I think it was $1 so I paid it and I really like to support the devs who develop such great apps. Keeping them funded is what keeps up their great work. Now if I move to another device that isn't rooted, I'll still be ad free.

Sorry, should've used the word donated instead of paid.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not rooted. No ads yet. It's been 2 days.

TapaTurbo

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
there's a few things I can't stand about it... the adverts for one... and no widget... otherwise I switched from handcent and haven't looked back

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it is free, but I'm sure you've seen some ads (unless you're rooted and have adblock)? I think it was $1 so I paid it and I really like to support the devs who develop such great apps. Keeping them funded is what keeps up their great work. Now if I move to another device that isn't rooted, I'll still be ad free.

Sorry, should've used the word donated instead of paid.
I can't seem to find adblock anywhere anymore... used to have it...

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'll probably pay for it. I also like to support devs and despise ads in my SMS apps.
Not to mention the free money I've made on Google Rewards. Made about $20 so far.

TapaTurbo

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll probably pay for it. I also like to support devs and despise ads in my SMS apps.
Not to mention the free money I've made on Google Rewards. Made about $20 so far.

TapaTurbo
I remember using locket for a while.... made $20 in 3 months... then they changed their entire system. dirtbags.

how's google rewards

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not going to get rich on it but its short and quick and has paid for quite a few apps for me.

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I signed up for Google Rewards and never got a survey or anything. I think I signed up late last year too...dang it

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, off topic, My Google Rewards surveys go in spurts. I won't have any for a long time, then I'll have one every day for a week or so. I recommend downloading it and signing up. Worst case scenario, it just lays there on your device. Best case, you make a bit of change here and there for answering simple questions about your habits, likes, and dislikes that turn into free apps.

As for Stagefright and sms apps, I was reading an article the other day that Google plans to roll out the biggest update ever to Hangouts next week. I'm wondering if this update is going to add the better AW integration and etc. I know they've been working on that for quite a while. I guess it would make sense for them to bake the Stagefright patch into that update, but I'd much rather see them push the patch NOW and the fancy stuff next week.

That said, I may have to give textra a try. I've NEVER really cared about customizing the look of my texting app. It's there to send/recieve messages and pictures for me and that's about it. But, if this one's more secure in the meantime, maybe I'll have a change of heart on the bells and whistles and pay a buck to keep it.