The Complete Jellybean Thread

GigaJake

Reaction score
The Complete Jellybean Thread [SBF Available]

Jellybean

It appears that the Droid 4 is next in Motorola's list of devices to receive an upgrade to Android 4.1.2 (Jellybean). There have already been a few threads regarding the official release as well as several older threads providing information on how to properly upgrade during the transition to 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). I intend to pool together information from everyone here at DroidForums as well as XDA to provide a complete set of information regarding the official release as well as the steps needed to insure a proper upgrade. I'll update the thread with information as it becomes available to me.

Official OTA is being pushed out in phases

What does that mean?
If you've signed up for the Motorola SOAK Test, you should be receiving the update soon. Otherwise, VZW will push the official update soon, within a day or so. Alternately, you can download the zip and install it manually.

MyFishBear: here.
GigaJake: here.
Kwyrt: here.
Jsnweitzel: here.

The crc file is needed if you intend to upgrade by placing it in your cache. Otherwise, place only the zip file on the root of your SD card.

How do I upgrade?
OTA's are different than your standard ROM. You won't simply be able to flash it via SafeStrap and run it on a romslot. You'll need to switch back to your stock system, uninstall the SafeStrap recovery and uninstall the app. Assuming your phone meets the correct conditions to upgrade, you can download and install the update by going to Settings->About Phone->System Updates or by placing the OTA zip on your sdcard and selecting that option through the phone's stock recovery. If your phone doesn't meet correct conditions or you aren't sure what those are, please read below.

Alternately, you should be able to SBF your phone to the official Jellybean release once the fastboot files have been released.
The official Jellybean SBF file can be found here!

How do I know my phone is OTA ready?
There are a few conditions your phone needs to meet to be able to upgrade properly. Be sure to remove SafeStrap completely; you must be running the official ICS release on your stock system, as well as having all your system apps still installed. If you froze any system apps through Titanium Backup, you should be fine to defrost them. If you have uninstalled any of these system apps you will need to SBF your phone back to the official ICS release. To do this, perform the steps above for removing safestrap and returning to your stock system, then perform the following: NOTE: Please have a full battery before fastbooting. A failed fastboot and a drained battery will put you in a very bad position!
  1. Download and install RSDLite.
  2. Download and install the latest Motorola USB Drivers.
  3. Download the official ICS sbf file and unzip it.
  4. Power off your phone and power it on while doing the following:
  5. Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
  6. Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it
  7. When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together
  8. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and on the next screen select "Yes -- delete all user data"
  9. Once it's finished, select "reboot system now" then immediately press both volume buttons until you see the bootloader menu
  10. Connect your phone to your PC via USB
  11. Use the volume down button to navigate to "AP Fastboot" then use the volume up button to select it
  12. Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the fastboot image .zip file
  13. Select "Decompress And Start Flashing" and wait for the process to finish (it will take around 20-30 minutes)
This will ensure your phone passes any checks by the OTA and will successfully install the Jellybean OTA.

What about root on Jellybean?
There are two methods to obtaining root on Jellybean. If you haven't upgraded you can install the app OTA RootKeeper and backup your root. After the update you can restore the root. To do this:
  1. Download the OTA RootKeeper app.
  2. Backup Root
  3. Temp Unroot
  4. Upgrade
  5. Redownload the app
  6. Restore Root
Tcrews has verified that OTA Rootkeeper does work!

If you've already upgraded, Jsnweitzel has verified that the Razr Blade utility will root the D4! To do this:
  1. Download the root utility here. (New multi-platform version) Unzip it. (Credit ndd, Jsnweitzel, Mattlgroff)
  2. Make sure you have the latest usb drivers, you have usb debugging enabled on your phone, your phone is connected via usb
  3. Follow the instructions from the program, it does require interaction and is not a one click method
This method will install SuperSU, so if you have SuperUser left over from ICS, you'll need to remove SuperUser to avoid complicating things. Superuser won't show up in Titanium Backup, you'll need to install an app to delete system apps. There have been reports of this method being buggy (MTP vs Mass Storage, Smart Action data, etc) but ultimately it will work.

I'm running Jellybean, now what?
There are a few things to note now that you have successfully installed the Jellybean OTA.

Please perform a factory reset!

Follow steps 4-8 in the SBF section to perform a factory reset using the default recovery system. There were numerous reports of poor phone performance on the D4 after the release of the official ICS update. Most often these issues can be avoided by removing all data from previous android versions and setting your phone up with 100% Jellybean data. Regarding the ICS update, it was unfair to think that android could make such a dramatic change in its system while still trying to operate with outdated, and sometimes incompatible data. The transition from ICS to JB will not be as dramatic, but it is still recommend to wipe your phone to avoid any conflicts.

Do NOT SBF back to prior releases!
With new updates come new kernels, something we unfortunately cannot mess with because of our locked bootloaders. Attempting to sbf back to ICS or Gingerbread after receiving your new Jellybean kernel will result in a permanently bricked device. You have been warned!

What comes after Jellybean?
Jellybean will most likely be the last official update by Motorola. Our wonderful devs like Hashcode and DHacker have been working hard to keep the D4 going with goodies such as 4.2.2 roms and Kexec. Right now they are working to use to the source from the Razr's Jellybean kernel to have new Kexec based ROMs like CM10.1 run with a Motorola Jellybean kernel. Kexec is a kernel bypass, meaning once they release these ROMs, ICS and JB users alike will both be able to use them.

SPECIAL THANKS:
Hashcode: SafeStrap, CM10.1, 4.2.2 ROMs, Kexec work
Dhacker29: CM10.1, 4.2.2 ROMs, Kexec work
Mattlgroff: OTA snatcher, Multi-platform Razr Blade Utility
SGMD1: SBF instructions thread here.
Tcrews: Verified Rootkeeper
MyFishBear: Provided OTA download
Jsnweitzel: Verified Razr Blade root method
ndd: Link to Razr Blade Utility

Anyone who provides me with information

If you feel you are not credited please contact me and I'll update the list. Any information regarding the status of the Jellybean OTA is greatly appreciated and can either be PM'ed to me or left in the forum below. Any questions, comments, or concerns are also welcome.

Last edited:

huatz84

Reaction score
Really useful explanation. It would be better to use Voodoo to backup root. We don't know if the Razr Blade will work on D4 or not.

gaben67

Reaction score
doent work

i used voodoo to temp unroot and still cannot get update to work

OP
GigaJake

GigaJake

Reaction score
Do you have a update to apply? unrooting doesn't instantly make your device eligible for an upgrade, we still need something from moto

Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk 2

gaben67

Reaction score
i got the update directly from system updates in settings, when it didnt work the first time i enabled all the apps i had disabled, disabled hotspot with sqlite editor and used voodoo to unroot. other people have said that they did this and got it to work

OP
GigaJake

GigaJake

Reaction score
A system update for the D4? Are you part of the test? Can you upload the zip? What's the update name?

me_droid

Reaction score
yes, received an invite but where's the party?

Last edited:
OP
GigaJake

GigaJake

Reaction score
You tell me! Haha. If you ever get an update please share it

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Reaction score
Does it suffice to do a factory data reset before upgrading to Jelly Bean?

OP
GigaJake

GigaJake

Reaction score
You'll need to be on your stock system, uninstall safestrap, and have all the system apps still installed. If you uninstalled any of them, factory resetting won't be enough. You'll have to sbf back to stock ics.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Reaction score
Am stock. All system software is installed, some frozen with TitBU.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.