Thunderbolt Proximity Sensor Issue

badmeat

Reaction score
I purchased a T-bolt on release day and recently started having issues with the proximity sensor not turning off the screen during calls. I troubleshooted it by testing the auto-brightness feature, which did not work as well.

I found the fix online in a thread about the HTC Desire.

Apparently, the gap between the top of the screen and the earpiece (near the proximity sensor) allows dust in, which causes the sensor to not work.

You fix this by simply blowing air into the gap. I did battery pulls, reboots, and installed the "Sanity" app to try and fix the sensor/troubleshoot. None of this worked, but blowing into the gap instantly fixed it.

I hope this helps anyone having this same issue.

Beardface

Reaction score
I purchased a T-bolt on release day and recently started having issues with the proximity sensor not turning off the screen during calls. I troubleshooted it by testing the auto-brightness feature, which did not work as well.

Apparently, the gap between the top of the screen and the earpiece (near the proximity sensor) allows dust in, which causes the sensor to not work.

You fix this by simply blowing air into the gap. I did battery pulls, reboots, and installed the "Sanity" app to try and fix the sensor/troubleshoot. None of this worked, but blowing into the gap instantly fixed it.

There is an issue with the software handling the Sensor... The leaked unofficial update has a fix for it, but for now, who knows how stable.

We should have an update.zip to use for stock very soon. if this leak came from HTC themselves.

OP
B

badmeat

Reaction score
It's working fine now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Gatorguy18

Reaction score

You, sir, are one BAMF! I have been reading all over XDA forums and flashing this kernel and that kernel and changing this setcpu setting and that setting, etc. all trying to "fix" my proximity sensor in vain. I read your post, went to the air compressor in the garage, and waa laa, PERFECT!

Thank you very much for your contribution!

KATIECLAY73

Reaction score
omg finally this worked.. maybe now i will quit calling other people while i am on the phone or muting them. lol those mute and speaker phone icons are in the worst places on the phone.. thanks

OP
B

badmeat

Reaction score
I'm glad I could help. I hope others having the same issue are able to easily find this thread. I've already had to get out the 'canned air' and blow into the gap again since I fixed it initially. Still working fine though. I guess that will just become a normal routine with this phone...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

jcarlilesiu

Reaction score
I have been searching all over for solutions, settings, case interference, trying to figure out why my screen wouldn't turn off during a call.

I came across this thread, and thought "no way is compressed air going to work".

Holy. it worked. Weird. Kudos for ever figured that one out.

katrich

Reaction score
Wonderful!! this works but at the same time sad that we have to even do it. Maybe when I have the next clear screen protector put on we can get it as close to that edge as possible and make it not as accesible to dust as now. Thanks for this fix, however temporary. My mom was getting quite tired of me hanging up on her! Lol. dancedroid

thelopenator

Reaction score
haha wow it worked. didnt think the solution could be that simple.

Daethian

Reaction score
I am accidentally muting my phone and couldn't figure out why! My mom has the same issue with my OG Droid. Now both phones are going to get a good cleaning. THanks!

tballl

Reaction score
What Gap are we talking about ?

Can you please clarify what gap i need to blow air into ?

fnourse

Reaction score
On front top right corner next to speaker
I think it is also the front camera
But I've been wrong b 4

Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow. Score another victory for this forum. I have had my bolt since launch day and I just now had the proximity sensor issue pop up. Tried reboots and was considering a hard reset and then I searched and found this thread. I had my doubts, bit the compressed air was an instant fix. THANK YOU. I just wish I had a microscopic tube of clear chalk to seal that little gap. I'll just remember the trick though.

OP
B

badmeat

Reaction score
glad this thread is still helping people to this day. Such a silly issue with a very simple fix lolz