Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

kmcgee62

Lte

i wish we could turn off the 4G when we don need it. is there ever going to be an update for that problem. i am on the verge of returning mine

OP
guitarchris123
What about these?
https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.infolife.taskmanager&feature=search_result
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower
It seemed like it was doing its job, what do ya think?

Also, I don't know how to manually end tasks.
And when using the task killer above, I notice a lot of apps start running yet again after killing them, like CityID and Pandora.

Task killers are not recommended for phones with newer versions of Android, including the Thunderbolt. Do a Google search or search this forum for information on why they are be bad, or at least how to use them properly if you insist on having one installed. Because of the new version of Android, they do not work for some apps (that's why you are having them pop back up after killing them), are not necessary, and use power and resources.

Rotas

How would I manually end them?
I pressed the button next to menu, but nothing happens.

Also, is the greenpower one not recommended as well?

Last edited:
How would I manually end them?
I pressed the button next to menu, but nothing happens.

Also, is the greenpower one not recommended as well?

Settings>Applications>Running Services

Locate your running app and click it, there are options to end it.

jdbaker82

Simple solution for everyone complaining about Battery life

That is if you are over the age of 16 have your drivers license and work. Simply keep a car charger in your car and every time you drive to work in the morning/evening simply plug your Thunderbolt into the charger and waalaa never have to worry again! It's easier then buckling your seat belts! You do do that right?

lckyforme

That's a Pain

Yes, that's a solution, but it's really only a bandaid. Since this is my first Droid I have nothing to compare the battery life to except my BB. I can say it's a pain after charging for 6 hours, unplug it and when I get up, there is a big chunk missing from my battery charge!! Sorry, I'm not sure yet about the %. Needless to say it's charging again so I can really try it out with a full charge and see how long it lasts. This for me could be a deal breaker. I'm not a gamer, or HEAVY user, but I would like to just charge it daily.

geoff5093

I have a charge at home, work, and in the car. I chare it whenever i can, but sometimes I go out and don't have a charger for the day. Needless to say I'm happy with the battery life on my TB.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Larry_ThaGr81

Agreed!

This thread presupposes that there is a battery problem based on speculation. That speculation may prove to be true and if so many people will refer to this thread for guidance. I'd like to discuss a few points in it, hopefully we can all benefit from some adjustments after we talk them through. Hopefully, we'll never need to refer to this thread, even in a 4g area.

1b. I haven't found an app yet that leaves the GPS radio on when not needed. When one does, the one star ratings pummel it into oblivion. The GPS is only consuming power when its icon is blinking or solid in the notification bar.

1d. Isn't this best left to the phone? It is able to detect when 4g is available, but it must have some criteria for signal strength that is acceptable to use. If you're 5 miles from a 4g upgraded tower and 0.2 miles from a 3g tower that has not been upgraded yet, some threshold of power required to maintain the 4g connection should fail over to the close 3g tower. We won't know for sure on this one until the TB is released and we have real information.

2. For how short a time wallpaper is displayed, is this significant enough to recommend foregoing a distinctive feature? I'd really rather not spread an expectation that you have to shut off basic features like this, even if there is a battery issue with the TB. I'm assuming we all understand that the wallpaper animation goes idle when the screen is off and when another app is being used.

5. An LED? Seems like feature benefit exceeds power used even if the TB has a battery issue.

7. Idle processes consume no power. Idle services may, and should be tweaked by the owning application to meet the user's needs. Devs will typically set default times for their services to wake up and do things that are designed to create an ideal user experience. If an app's service is taking up too much juice and you can't configure it down to something acceptable, find something else.

8, 10, 11. Always on data is why we buy smartphones. If people need to manually update data providers to save battery, this phone is going to fail. We fill our screens with data-driven widgets because we can and because we prefer that to the icon only implementation of Springboard. The prospect of 7 dumb home screens sounds like an iPhone. The comments here about setting intervals slower when you can are the best part of these items.

9. I thought we already had wifi off in 1g? Do we know for sure that there will be notifications for 4g? There isn't one for 1xRTT versus EV-DO, other than the icon change.

Most of the rest sounds great, maybe 27 and 28 need an if really necessary disclaimer, but I didn't want my post to sound too negative. OP, I'm not trying to spar with you, I'm on your side, you've made a nice post and it makes me comment. If you don't like or agree with what I said, no biggie.

First off, I want to thank the OP for taking the time to post this because this provides people who are uninformed with many battery saving options.

But, I couldn't agree with you more on this Sleeve.

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Here is a suggestion though.

25. Ultimate Juice is the paid version of Juice Defender, which activates a lot of battery saving automation features that Juice Defender is missing. If you can't or don't want to pay for Ultimate Juice, then Battery Fu is for you. It offers everything that you get with Ultimate Juice for free. I personally use Green Power, which is like the previously two talked about applications except I paid a $1.49 for the premium version of it after talking to the developer about somethings that made me have a little sympathy for the guy, to simply put it.

F

FlyFishinX2

Yes, that's a solution, but it's really only a bandaid. Since this is my first Droid I have nothing to compare the battery life to except my BB. I can say it's a pain after charging for 6 hours, unplug it and when I get up, there is a big chunk missing from my battery charge!! Sorry, I'm not sure yet about the %. Needless to say it's charging again so I can really try it out with a full charge and see how long it lasts. This for me could be a deal breaker. I'm not a gamer, or HEAVY user, but I would like to just charge it daily.

charging your battery for 6 hours and then unplugging it before you go to bed makes absolutely no sense at all,,wouldn't it make a little more sense to leave it plugged in and then you have a full charge when you get up ?

funkyb

Actually, the way modern charging systems work, you will likely have slightly less than a full charge if u leave it plugged in a few hours longer than necessary.

Also, remember the battery indicators are not perfectly linear. You may notice it change from ?0% to 80% faster than say, 50% to 40%.

lckyforme

It ran down while I was loading some apps so I plugged it up. I read that it shouldn't over charge? Is that not right? The BB charged all night.