To root, or not to root

Root my phone?

• Yes, immediately.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, once a Jelly Bean root method comes out.

• Nah, rooting doesn't matter anymore.

• What's rooting?

• Total voters

pmbasehore

OK guys, opinion time. Should I root? Should I wait for JB? Or does it even matter anymore?

On my previous phone I rooted primarily so I could install third-party ROMS. I didn't particularly like blur, so I always put an AOSP-based ROM on my Droid X. On this phone, however, the stock ROM isn't bad at all. I could live with it.

There are a few apps I like to use that require root -- jrummy's ROM Toolbox (to change my bootlogo and bootani) and WiFi Key Recovery so I won't have to memorize random Wifi keys anymore. I don't care (yet) about my bootlogo and boot animation, since I rarely (if ever) actually reboot my phone, but I would really like to have some sort of WiFi Key Recovery app.

So, there you have it. Thoughts? Should I root? Should I wait until a JB exploit is found? Does it even matter anymore?

Thanks!

slsmag

to root or not...

I'm in the same boat - my prior [original] Droid was rootedjust so I could get 'normal' things done.
Rooting was necessary to get any decent performance out ofthe phone and delete apps that took up precious resources.

When I first got the Razr M I was afraid that I would haveto root to get access to functionality like 'mobile hot spot'/Tethering (usingBarnacle) - but then found FoxFi which works great without having to root.
And now that I've switched to a Verizon 'share everything'plan, the native hot spot is activated and works great.

So, for now - at least until the OTA 4.1.2 update is received - I'm not going to root.
I just haven't had a need to.

As the Razr M gets older, it may be necessary to root in the future just to keep up with current apps and services, but for now, why fix what ain't broke...

- michael

Theprince

Yup that's the question. I have a Droid 4 which I've been mostly happy with (aside from some battery life issues), but as of late, specifically since I received the 4.1.2 update from Verizon, my phone has been DREADFULLY SLOW. I find myself in need of a clean slate either back to factory setting and start over to see if that works or rooting it. I'm new to rooting so forgive me ahead of time if I ask (or already have asked) anything dumb :hail:. My one hesitation with rooting is will I have access to Motorola's Smart Actions I actually use and appreciate them.

So, what benefits could I see from rooting specifically? Subsequently, how do you recommend starting and what do I need to do post-root in order to reap the hell out of those benefits? :icon_ devil:

Thanks!

leeshor

Gold Member
Rooting, and what you can do after rooting is unlikely to make a silk purse out of as sow's ear. ;) There are some things you can do to remove bloatware, potentially save some space but you may not realize any REAL/noticeable performance benefit. Your ultimate best bet would be a factory reset.

You may want toi do more research on the possible pitfalls of rooting as well as the benefits