Transfer photos to PC?

Pinky1352

I just switched from the original Droid X to a Droid 4, and can't find the photo storage area on the phone to copy photos to my PC. On my old droid they used to be stored in the DCIM folder, but now when I hook up phone to PC via USB cable, all I can see are a .motorola_thumbnails folder (which is empty) and .thumbnails folder which only has SOME thumbnails in it, not ALL of the photos that I can see in my timeline gallery.

Are they hiding somewhere else?

TIA!!

Try going to settings > storage > manage internal storage, and then move all pictures to external SD. Then just put your SD card in the new phone.

Benton

My pictures from the camera are stored to the external SD card DCIM/Camera folder. The use of the word "external" implies the SD card is outside the phone housing but in actuality it is not, it is the micro SD card installed next to your SIM card beneath the back cover. To find out where your pics went you can open the camera app, click on the "Gear" icon on the bottom ribbon of icons or if the ribbon is not yet present press the Menu key and the ribbon will appear. From the Settings submenu that opens when you press the gear you can scroll through the various options to the one for Storage Location (fifth item from top), this will indicate if the pictures are on the "Internal phone storage" or "SD Card". Whichever option is selected is where your pictures went and are retrievable when you connect to your PC as follows once you connect your USB between the phone and PC:

- If Internal phone storage was selected the pictures will reside in the folder DCIM/Camera on the drive labeled MOT on your PC
- If SD Card was selected the pictures will reside in folder DCIM/Camera on the drive labeled Removable Disk on your PC

You can make a change to the location you want the pictures to be stored at anytime by accessing the Storage Location submenu in Camera settings. Hope this helps.

OP
P

Pinky1352

Thanks for the reply. That's not exactly what I was trying to do. I originally DID get all of the photos from the old phone onto the new one by transferring contents of original SD card to new phone's SD card.

What I'm trying to do now, since I have a bunch of new photos on the phone, is to transfer those new photos onto my PC. I suppose I could remove the SD card from the phone and insert into PC and see if they show up that way, but there should be an easier way to do this via USB like I could on the old phone. :(

OP
P

Pinky1352

Benton,
It already had storage location as SD card, but when hooked up via USB, under DCIM, only those two thumbnails folders show up. No folder with actual pics :blink:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
What Benton said is completely right. If you are seeing two thumbnails folders then you're looking at the phone's internal storage, and not the installed sd card. Try this to verify that you are looking in the right spot. On the phone go to the "my files" app and it should give you four choices: Internal, sd, shared and motocast. Look in the sd, then dcim, then camera and see what's there. If its empty then your pics must be on the internal.

If you want to easy download stuff from your phone to pc I think motocast does so. I don't have it set-up though, maybe someone else can comment on it.

OP
P

Pinky1352

jsnweitzel..

Thanks for that info. When I search that way a "Camera" folder, under DCIM, DOES show up with 210 items in it.(
On the phone go to the "my files" app and it should give you four choices: Internal, sd, shared and motocast. Look in the sd, then dcim, then camera and see what's there.)
It's only when I hook it up to my PC that I can't see that exact file structure with the "Camera" folder showing.
I'm confused as to why this should be
:blink:

EDIT..OH..now I see why. Apparently when connected to PC I am seeing the "Internal Phone Storage" and NOT the SD card. When I check THAT folder on the phone I can see the .motorola_thumbnails and .thumbnails folders.

Very odd...how do I get to the SD card itself on the PC?

Second EDIT:

Perhaps the cable I was connecting with was the problem. Now that I used the original USB cable that came with the phone, I can see the Camera folder on the PC (I was originally using the USB cable from an external HD because it was handy)..This is all very very strange.

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate learning more about this particular phone/OS!!

Have a great weekend all!

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
If you are set to storage when you connect the usb cable you should get two pop-ups one is the internal the other is external. Or look in your drive list under my computer. If you not then you may not have the right drivers installed or not be in storage mode.

Deiterdigetata

I just switched from the original Droid X to a Droid 4, and can't find the photo storage area on the phone to copy photos to my PC. On my old droid they used to be stored in the DCIM folder, but now when I hook up phone to PC via USB cable, all I can see are a .motorola_thumbnails folder (which is empty) and .thumbnails folder which only has SOME thumbnails in it, not ALL of the photos that I can see in my timeline gallery.

Are they hiding somewhere else?

TIA!!

Hi Pinky , I have a Droid 2 and 4 too , and i use motocast on both phones and computer , it just take a little time to set it up and it can sync your pc and phone wirelessly , pretty easy and fast . Give it a try and see how it works :)

taylor1s

Droid 4 Pics to PC

While connected to a Droid 4 with USB, If you are not seeing the "Camera" folder under the DCMI Folder your windows explore is set to "Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives". go to your "folder options" in windows explore and set it to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Always verify that your Pics are located on your SD card and not local memory.

kunmerpark

Last edited:

Deiterdigetata

Hi websquad , To sync your phone and pc you have to download motocast on both , set it up and follow whatever it says , once finish you will be able to acces almost everything from your pc on your moto phone without downloading using the space of your phone . If you need further help i'll be around .

Websquad

Motocast -- what can it do (and not do).

Hi websquad , To sync your phone and pc you have to download motocast on both, set it up and follow whatever it says; once finished you will be able to access almost everything from your pc on your moto phone without downloading using the space of your phone . If you need further help I'll be around .
Per chance, will MotoCast allow me to sync my calendar, notes, and contacts from Outlook 2007, as well as sync my music I have downloaded to my Windows PC? Can it do this without storing any of my date "in the cloud" in some off-site server farm?