Trying to upgrade old version of liberty on a Droid X. Please help!

krispf3

Reaction score
Hi,

About 2 years ago I rooted my phone and put the liberty rom on. It's been great but I'm not tech savvy and have no idea how to upgrade the very old version. Please help!

Android version 2.2.1
verizon wireless
Liberty version 2.0.1

I want to upgrade because some of the problems i've been having include:

random application crashes
lag
very slow typing

How would I go about upgrading? I'm not familiar with the lingo anymore. I can't even believe I researched enough to root it in the first place!

Thank you!

OP
K

krispf3

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this but I really want to upgrade my phone. Can someone please provide step by step instructions for a noob??

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I don't know anything about the DX, so I don't know the button sequences to boot into the recovery, but the steps you would need to do are this:

1. Download the ROM you want to upgrade to
2. Boot into recovery
3. Backup your current ROM
4. Do a Factory Data Reset/Wipe data and cache
5. Select "Install ROM"
6. Choose whichever ROM you have selected to flash
7. Flash said ROM
8. Wipe data and cache again
9. Boot phone, set up all of your info, let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes to settle, then install all your apps.

If you use Titanium Backup, or know how to, make sure to backup all the apps you want to keep prior to following above steps. If you don't have it, there's a free version in the Play Store. It's an invaluable tool for Rooters and ROMers. Easy to use. If you need any more help, I'll do my best to assist you.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Pro tip: if your device starts to lag real bad, start by deleting all unimportant text messages, then go into recovery and delete cache. That should help to get rid of rubbish data and speed the device up a bit. Cache should be deleted anytime you experience lag, but it's good to keep a schedule of once a week to once a month.

OP
K

krispf3

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the DX, so I don't know the button sequences to boot into the recovery, but the steps you would need to do are this:

1. Download the ROM you want to upgrade to
2. Boot into recovery
3. Backup your current ROM
4. Do a Factory Data Reset/Wipe data and cache
5. Select "Install ROM"
6. Choose whichever ROM you have selected to flash
7. Flash said ROM
8. Wipe data and cache again
9. Boot phone, set up all of your info, let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes to settle, then install all your apps.

If you use Titanium Backup, or know how to, make sure to backup all the apps you want to keep prior to following above steps. If you don't have it, there's a free version in the Play Store. It's an invaluable tool for Rooters and ROMers. Easy to use. If you need any more help, I'll do my best to assist you.

Will the factory reset/wipe data and cache also remove my contacts and text message log? any way to keep these if it does? i'm not a huge app person. I only use a few so its not a big deal.

secondly, can I install the new version of Liberty (3, v2 I think?) on this version of android (2.2.1)?

Pro tip: if your device starts to lag real bad, start by deleting all unimportant text messages, then go into recovery and delete cache. That should help to get rid of rubbish data and speed the device up a bit. Cache should be deleted anytime you experience lag, but it's good to keep a schedule of once a week to once a month.

Interesting, I've never done this. I'll give it a shot right now.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Factory reset will wipe your contacts + texts. Contacts should be backed up by Google and restore automatically. Texts can be backed up with something like SMS backup+. Or, if you're rooted you can download titanium backup and backup both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
K

krispf3

Reaction score
Factory reset will wipe your contacts + texts. Contacts should be backed up by Google and restore automatically. Texts can be backed up with something like SMS backup+. Or, if you're rooted you can download titanium backup and backup both.

Ok, I have titanium backup, so I can do that. What about my question about the android version? Will 2.2.1 support the newest version of liberty? Can I upgrade 2.2.1 to a newer version (gingerbread?)

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you'll want to back up as stated... then flash the 602 sbf file... as you are on an older kernel... and an older bootloader...

once you get that back up.. then reroot bootstrap and flash

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok, I have titanium backup, so I can do that. What about my question about the android version? Will 2.2.1 support the newest version of liberty? Can I upgrade 2.2.1 to a newer version (gingerbread?)

I don't think the DX got upgraded past Froyo, so any ROM made for the DX will use the Froyo kernel.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The DX got the upgrade to gingerbread. A couple times. There was .602, .605 and the final update .621.

Don't flash a gingerbread ROM on a froyo kernel or vice versa.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
The DX got the upgrade to gingerbread. A couple times. There was .602, .605 and the final update .621.

Don't flash a gingerbread ROM on a froyo kernel or vice versa.

Oh, ok. Good to know. So make sure to flash a gingerbread based ROM.

OP
K

krispf3

Reaction score
you'll want to back up as stated... then flash the 602 sbf file... as you are on an older kernel... and an older bootloader...

once you get that back up.. then reroot bootstrap and flash

This is gibberish to me. Can you please explain it in a bit more detail?

So do I want to upgrade the liberty version first? Or upgrade Android to the newest version, THEN liberty?