Update failed

qman66

Reaction score
I am on 2.3.15 rooted and i tried to update to 2.3.340 and it says update failed. The only thing I can think of is that I deleted some bloatware and I dont think I backed it up, but not much just cityid blockbuster amazon mp3. i wiped data and cache but failed again. I heard that unrooting is not required, so I guess I have to sbf but I heard that some sbf dont work on ota 2.2 and tha it bricks phones. So can someone tell me where to find the right files to sbf, thank you.

Jordan8

Reaction score
I don't have the link for the sbf on hand, maybe somebody else could help you out there.

To receive the ota it doesn't matter if you're rooted. Your problem is most likely because of your missing bloatware. If you have a backup before you changed any of that, restore it & then try to update.

If you don't have a backup, the next easiest way would be to just sbf.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
thanks i know i need to sbf i just want someone to tell me which sbf is safe to do

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Most of the sbf's will be on mydroidworld.com or xda-developers.com. basically you need to match up your system version (in this case it looks like 2.3.15) and your android version (2.2). Then you are going to use a program called rsdlite to install or flash the stock sbf. ****make sure you read everything about how to do it first**** as always there are no guarantees you won't brick your phone, but I haven't had any issues using sbf's yet. Flashing the sbf will return you to out of the box condition but you will be able to ota to 2.3.34

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dazeman1

Reaction score
Today I went to update and I disconnected during it. I went to try to update again and it said no new software available. I look on status it says Download failed. I called verizon but they weren't very helpful. Did a checkin and said maybe within the next 72 hours.

Any idea?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you try rebooting the phone? Sometimes that helps.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Today I went to update and I disconnected during it. I went to try to update again and it said no new software available. I look on status it says Download failed. I called verizon but they weren't very helpful. Did a checkin and said maybe within the next 72 hours.

Any idea?

If the update fails, right now you don't get a second chance...I don't know why but I've heard other people with the same story. Was your phone modded at all?

ajhammered365

Reaction score
If the update fails, right now you don't get a second chance...I don't know why but I've heard other people with the same story. Was your phone modded at all?

I had previously run cleantool 2.1.1 on my Rezound and got the notice that the update was available. Clicked okay to download it and..... nothing. Went to settings and tried to manually check for the update and nothing. Figured I didn't have anything to loose so I did a factory reset and tried again. Downloaded like a champ and so far so good.
Haven't rerun cleanware as of yet. Going run system as is for a little bit before I monkey with it anymore.

Dazeman1

Reaction score
I had previously run cleantool 2.1.1 on my Rezound and got the notice that the update was available. Clicked okay to download it and..... nothing. Went to settings and tried to manually check for the update and nothing. Figured I didn't have anything to loose so I did a factory reset and tried again. Downloaded like a champ and so far so good.
Haven't rerun cleanware as of yet. Going run system as is for a little bit before I monkey with it anymore.

I didn't want to factory restore. Yes I tried rebooting. Even went as far as taking out the SIM card and battery. Still won't work.

Since you have the update. Do you get better service. I seemed to get better service on my thunderbolt than I do with my rezound.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If the update fails, right now you don't get a second chance.
I can confirm this is false. I downloaded mine twice by accident, and after I completed the install, I went back to the Software Update screen and it prompted me to download it again if I want. I dont think there is a limit on how often you can download it.

To trigger a download of the update, go to the "Software Update" section in "Settings" and click "check update"...it should prompt you to download the update. If nothing happens, try rebooting.

To prompt an install (after you have downloaded it), go to the "Software Update" section in "Settings"...then click on "check new"...you will see a status window with an OK button. DO NOT CLICK IT...just let it sit there for five or ten minutes. Eventually you will get a prompt to install. If you click Ok on that prompt, it will reboot and begin the update.

Since you have the update. Do you get better service. I seemed to get better service on my thunderbolt than I do with my rezound.
I have not been able to test my service yet, but the phone does seem a little faster. Benchmarks are slightly higher than they were before, and the UI does seem smoother.

Malkavian

Reaction score
Interesting. I did the update and it seems to have worked. Firmware seems to be updated under the system settings page. But now the Check Now doesn't seem to work. I have rebooted the phone and it still doesn't work. Phone seems to be working just fine so far. Anyone else have this happen?

Update: I don't think the update was complete. It seems to be rebooting now.
Update: Seems to have worked. Not sure if I like the new Verizon APPS program. May have to turn it off.

Last edited:

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Ok, rooted and had changed a few things such as the notification bar and a few other minor changes. Nothing frozen or anything. I used voodoo to temp undo root, anything else I need to do?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lr54912

Reaction score
You need to be on stock .902. without any modifications.

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Dang, wheres the how to guide on getting back to stock?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rednukleus

Reaction score
I also could use some guidance. My stock .902 is clean, but I am rooted and have an alpha ICS4Bionic on the other Safestrap image. I seem to recall applying the update last time, and it nuked Safestrap recovery but it did apply the update. Won't this be the same?