Upgrade recommendations

iamloco724

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade..ive never gone full blown touch screen before ive stuck to the Motorola droid series but with less and less phones with physical keyboards I think its time to attempt the switch

My dad just got the galaxy s3 so I was able to play with that a little and realized a bigger screen makes a much bigger different on the touch keyboard

So right now I have 3 phones in my sights the maxx hd,the galaxy s3 and the dna

All have there pros and cons to me

Maxx hd the main pro would be battery life

The s3 the only pro really is that im getting use to it already being that my dad has it

And the dna the pro is that its top of the line specs

Cons would be on the maxx its Motorola and after using the droid series ive always had some sort of problem whether major or minor

The s3 the con is its already pretty old when it comes to phones

And the dna the con would be potential battery life issues and no removable battery

Basically im a light user for the most part..but when im out for a long time or at someones house I tend to use it more

Also I was curious which upgrade route is better amazon wireless or best buy and for what reason

Right now im leaning towards the dna..i havnt gone to check anything out in store yet but if im happy with the s3 keyboard will I be just as happy with the dna..any other opinions on what I should get and why would be greatly appreciated

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Looking to upgrade..ive never gone full blown touch screen before ive stuck to the Motorola droid series but with less and less phones with physical keyboards I think its time to attempt the switch

My dad just got the galaxy s3 so I was able to play with that a little and realized a bigger screen makes a much bigger different on the touch keyboard

So right now I have 3 phones in my sights the maxx hd,the galaxy s3 and the dna

All have there pros and cons to me

Maxx hd the main pro would be battery life

The s3 the only pro really is that im getting use to it already being that my dad has it

And the dna the pro is that its top of the line specs

Cons would be on the maxx its Motorola and after using the droid series ive always had some sort of problem whether major or minor

The s3 the con is its already pretty old when it comes to phones

And the dna the con would be potential battery life issues and no removable battery

Basically im a light user for the most part..but when im out for a long time or at someones house I tend to use it more

Also I was curious which upgrade route is better amazon wireless or best buy and for what reason

Right now im leaning towards the dna..i havnt gone to check anything out in store yet but if im happy with the s3 keyboard will I be just as happy with the dna..any other opinions on what I should get and why would be greatly appreciated

While it was released before the MAXX HD, aside from the battery, the specs of the S3 actually surpass the MAXX HD. A big knock against the MAXX HD for me was that exact point - it was released months after the S3, but still lagged behind the S3 in specs. Both have the same processor, but the S3 has 2GB of RAM (the MAXX HD has 1GB). So in a few ways, that makes the S3 slightly more future proof than the MAXX HD (although it's not a huge advantage at the moment). Given that, I wouldn't let the fact that it was released in July actually be a con. Compared to the MAXX HD, the S3 also has a much better camera along with a larger screen (the on-screen buttons of the MAXX HD eat up about 0.3" of the screen's usable real estate in most situations). The S3 also has a replaceable battery, something that can easily make up the difference in battery life with the MAXX HD either by swapping in a second standard battery or by using an extended battery. And the S3 has far more developer support since the bootloader can be unlocked.

Personally, the lack of a microSD slot and a small, non-removable battery make the DNA a no-go for me. But the rest of the phone is a knockout. If having only 16GB of storage (11GB accessible) and a sealed battery aren't big problems for you, the DNA is a great choice. I'm unable to get past those two points though.

The MAXX HD does have a great battery, but there were several times when I had my MAXX and was using it very heavily, that I drained the battery before the day was done. When that happened, I had to be tied to an outlet or to an external charger, which makes like difficult sometimes. I like to be able to just pop in a second battery and keep going. The biggest advantage for the MAXX HD in my opinion is reception. Motorola devices are known for their stellar reception. The S3 was a big step forward in reception for Samsung, and the DNA looks to be solid, but the MAXX HD will probably do a little better than either of the others on a regular basis.

And when you go into a store to check them out, give the Note 2 a try. I think it's easily the best phone out at the moment. The size isn't for everyone, but it blows pretty much everything out there away in terms of features right now. And after a few days with it, you won't even notice the size anymore. It will just seem normal. :)

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
so im thinking about going through best buy i went through the process online

i know im losing my unlimited plan but through the process i wasnt given a choice how many gb i want it only showed me share everything plan which i dont want to switch to just yet i want probably a 2gb plan but was no option for that how can i do that online?

2nd question is is there anyway to do a price match while doing an online order whether i have to call or email?

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
The Note 2 is in a league by itself. I have a 64gb card so I couldn't really get the DNA but the N2 is easily the best phone on the market. Maxxhd was a disappointment it had last year's specs (dual core, 2gb ram) and a small screen. You could argue that you don't need the specs of the N2 but hey we are technology enthusiasts that's why we are on this forum to enjoy the latest gear. If you absolutely don't want the size of the N2 I would probably wait until CES in January to see if anything new is announced. I just don't see the Maxxhd and DNA as viable options right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using the Droid Forums App

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Everyone who owns a phone will say it is the best one.... take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Do your research and get some hands on time with as many of them as possible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
The Note 2 is in a league by itself. I have a 64gb card so I couldn't really get the DNA but the N2 is easily the best phone on the market. Maxxhd was a disappointment it had last year's specs (dual core, 2gb ram) and a small screen. You could argue that you don't need the specs of the N2 but hey we are technology enthusiasts that's why we are on this forum to enjoy the latest gear. If you absolutely don't want the size of the N2 I would probably wait until CES in January to see if anything new is announced. I just don't see the Maxxhd and DNA as viable options right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using the Droid Forums App

i played a little with the dna and note today..the note would easily get me but the size is just huge for a phone for me..the dna being only .5 smaller feels like much more of a phone.. still not sure..i would wait until ces but my droid 3 has really been acting up latley

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
i see the rumor is that samsung might announce the s4 at ces..question is after these things get announced how quickly is it on sale after that?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The speculation says it might not be for the SG4 as Samsung is big enough to get their own events for things like that.... even if it was the announcement I'd imagine it would still be a month or two or three ... :)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Wouldn't call it stupid no. There will always be "the next best thing" coming out but the S3 is still a very solid overall device.

ambrown

Reaction score
iamloco724 said:
is it stupid to even consider the s3 at this point?

No. Especially since even though the next best thing is being announced at CES doesn't mean the S4 will be around in January. More likely it'll show up at CRS but be available sometime in the summer, just like the S3. The S3 does still have NFC, dual core, ICS (with an upgrade path to Jelly Bean), and is otherwise robust.

Plus when phones are really new there are always bugs and stuff that takes time to get worked out. The S3 has been around and has had the chance to be patched and vetted by users.

Plus there are plenty of holiday sales that are offering good discounts on the S3 right now. So save a little cash and enjoy! Sure the latest and greatest will come out eventually, but over the course of the two years of most contracts you'll see models cycling anyway.

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
i read something about this so wanted to ask if this was possible if anyone knows?

i have a family plan with my parents they both are on 2gb data and i am on unlimited currently i have the upgrade

if i order the phone online transfer my upgrade to my mothers line , then activate it then switch her back to her phone and activate the dna under mine will i be able to keep unlimited?

if i read correctly i saw people able to do this

Last edited:

NOVICE

Reaction score
Droid 1, Droid X, GNexus, GS lll, Note 2:

GS lll is outstanding but Note 2 in a class by itself. (GNexus disappointing for a number of reasons. And I know it's for rooting, flashing, etc.)

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score

whats question marks for

if the note was 5 inches and 100 dollars less i would get it.. the size is no good for me for a phone..the price is 100 dollars more then the other phones im looking at and that price tag is for the size and the pen feature both which i dont need