Use Handcent instead of Android SMS on lock screen.

mmitchell816

Reaction score
Has any one found a way to use handcent on the lock screen instead of the default SMS? I hate how it says that i always have unread messages but in reality its just cause i haven't opened the Android SMS application. I would love thelock screen to connect to Handcent.

Skull One

Reaction score
WidgetLocker from the Market is a lock screen replacement that allows any widget. And Handcent was the second widget I put on the screen. WeatherBug was first.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Skullone this is a ROM specific issue. This ROM has mms and phone one the lock screen, but the mms is tied to the stock one.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sorry....no clue...waiting for a fix like you

DJTaT2

Reaction score
there is an option in the stock sms menu to hide notifications from the task bar.. that should fix it

OP
M

mmitchell816

Reaction score
there is an option in the stock sms menu to hide notifications from the task bar.. that should fix it

No that doesnt fix it. when ever your phone is locked and you hit the power button if your running MIUI you get 3 buttons you can hold an slide to unlook the phone.

One is a normal unlock.
One unlocks and goes to the phone app.
and the last one if you hold it it shows recent messages and if you slide it it goes to the android mms app.

i was wondering how to direct that to handcent

jimbo42o

Reaction score
I did this nn it worked... install hancent (duh) manually open hancent app (might not be necessary) lock phone unlock to sms should ask which app to use

OP
M

mmitchell816

Reaction score
I did this nn it worked... install hancent (duh) manually open hancent app (might not be necessary) lock phone unlock to sms should ask which app to use

I tried it and now it will launch handcent but the counter on the lock screen still refers to android mms not handcent.

Meaning i still had to open android mms to clear it out.

Skull One

Reaction score
Well since this is a custom ROM issue, you could always go the route of symlink and point the mms.apk entry to the handcent app. But that does require a little bit of linux know how to accomplish. Unfortunately I don't run this ROM to test/work out my suggested solution. Hopefully someone who has the ROM and knows how to use symlink can try this out.

mtz_gto

Reaction score

I tried it and now it will launch handcent but the counter on the lock screen still refers to android mms not handcent.

Is there an option in the stock mms to disable notifications?
Then you can choose the settings in handcent to only notify you.
This problem is most common when having two mms apps installed.

NOTE:
*From experience with other ROMS*
You should not uninstall the stock mms. Handcent uses it to send and
receive picture messaging.

azpilot

Reaction score

Is there an option in the stock mms to disable notifications?
Then you can choose the settings in handcent to only notify you.
This problem is most common when having two mms apps installed.

NOTE:
*From experience with other ROMS*
You should not uninstall the stock mms. Handcent uses it to send and
receive picture messaging.

Yea that setting is in there, that does nothing for making the message count on the lock screen work with Handcent. This just allows so you don't get 2 notifications that you get an MMS message.

The counter issue is with this ROM only, any other ROM used the counter works for either Handcent or the stock MMS application.

bL33d

Reaction score
yea i got chompsms setup but even after u use lockscreen to check message in chompsms it still shows 1 message in stock sms so u have to go to it and read it aswell :(

Id be good with no phone or sms option on lockscreen i just have ocd and cant let that counter be there with numbers on it :icon_evil: