using a pause for dialing a contact?

born2golf

Reaction score
Hello all. I am trying to setup a contact in my droid 2 that will dial my voice mail system in my office with a single touch. I had this working fine on my old crackberry and I can;t seem to get it to work on my droid.

Here is what I have done: I have created a contact called "FIOS voice mail" and I have set up the phone number as follows:

foisVMphonenumber,,,mymailboxnumber#,,,myPIN#

This key string should do the following: Dial my voice mail system, wait a few seconds, enter my mailbox number, wait a few seconds, enter my PIN code.

Where the "," should be a PAUSE and the "#" should be "enter". (Note, the "," was actually input with the "pause" key on the onscreen keyboard)

When I try t dial this contact from the DROIS, it simply dials the first 10 digits and then does nothing else. no pause, no prompt, just nothing.

I have also tried to replace the pause with a prompt and get the same results. And I have tried using a shorter pause with only one ","

Any thoughts?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are the #s required when you do this manually? That would be my only suggestion, otherwise you covered it. I'll do some investigating though.

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
The # is not required but without them the auto attendant will just wait for some predefined period until moving on to the next prompt.

patchm00

Reaction score
Sounds like you may be using Google Voice? If you are, google voice does NOT dial pauses :(

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
Sounds like you may be using Google Voice? If you are, google voice does NOT dial pauses :(

bingo, that must be it! I'll test it out a bit later. Nice catch! So, if I'm using google voice as my default outbound dialer, is there any way to specify certain outbound numbers that should be dialed with the phone native number?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

bingo, that must be it! I'll test it out a bit later. Nice catch! So, if I'm using google voice as my default outbound dialer, is there any way to specify certain outbound numbers that should be dialed with the phone native number?

The only way I know how to work that is to have your phone ask you each time if you want to dial out with GV or your regular number.

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score

So You were right, it was definitely a google voice issue. When dialing without google voice there was no problem. And hookbill is right as well. I do not see any way of selectively using google voice on a per number basis, which is unfortunate, because setting google voice to handle all calls is the only way to achieve full hands-free operation. perhaps that will be a feature in the future.

Thanks for your help

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Voice Choice - in the market, free and paid versions.

Allows you to set which numbers are dialed w/Goolge Voice vs. normal.

Just happened to run into it...might be what you need.

Droids

Reaction score
I thought a lower case p worked as a pause in GV?

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score

Thanks Redflea, this is perfect. The free version allows you to choose 1 number to bypass google voice and that's all I need. Thanks for sending this along. Now all calls go through google voice except when I dial my office voice mail. It is exactly what I was hoping for.

jcorvan

Reaction score
I spent 2 hours figuring out how to do the pause. I had been using s swype keyboard. When I switched to the multi key(droid x), there is a key on the left botton which toggles between numbers and other keys. If you edit a contact tel no. and press this lower left key, you will see the pause and the wait buttons. I found putting a couple pauses after the # at the end of the password was helpful. I had to put 3 pauses between the number and the pass word. The 'p' I used with my old non-android phone, but does not work with this.

jimdibb

Reaction score

I just ran into this issue yesterday and voice choice did take care of it. Thanks.