Using SetCPU or GEM Settings

dberezin

Reaction score
I'm currently using SetCPU because I like the profiles feature. I was looking at the GEM settings on my phone (using Sapphire 1.1.0) and saw the Enable CPU frequency scaling was enabled and the governor was set to ondemand.

If I'm using SetCPU, should I disable the one in GEM settings? Are they stepping on each other? Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I hear that SetCPU will override whatever ROM cpu settings you use. I am unsure with this ROM but pretty sure also.

I use SetCPU because of profiles myself too.

Armyof2

Reaction score
SetCPU and the Gem settings do the same thing essentially, setcpu just gives you the option of having profiles. SetCPU will override Gem so there is no harm either way whether you turn it off in gem or not.

OP
dberezin

dberezin

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure there was no interference with each other if they are both on. I think the profiles are a good idea. I'm using:

Screen Off = 250 - 400 Priority 100
Temp > 44.9 C = 250 - 550 Priority 90
Charging/Full = 250 - 800 Priority 80
Battery < 21% = 250 - 550 Priority 70
Battery < 40% = 250 - 600 Priority 60

Seems to be working pretty good for me right now using the LV kernel.

Armyof2

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure there was no interference with each other if they are both on. I think the profiles are a good idea. I'm using:

Lookin good..should give you som good battery time

OP
dberezin

dberezin

Reaction score

Lookin good..should give you som good battery time

It is pretty good. I'm not a real heavy user, but I unplug about 7:00 AM and I'm down to about 50% by 10:00 PM. Battery temp usually moves around from 77 to 84 degrees.

Still debating on the LV vs SV kernel. Does the LV "struggle" more launching apps? Who knows. Both were pretty stable. Just not sure which one gets the better battery life. Maybe I'm being too nit-picky! :blink:

vmspionage

Reaction score
Still debating on the LV vs SV kernel. Does the LV "struggle" more launching apps? Who knows. Both were pretty stable. Just not sure which one gets the better battery life. Maybe I'm being too nit-picky! :blink:
If the LV is stable then use that - the only difference is that some processors can get away with reduced voltage and some cannot. If there are no stability issues then it will perform exactly the same, with the exception of reduced heat and increased battery life for the low voltage kernel.

SDraconis

Reaction score
If the LV is stable then use that - the only difference is that some processors can get away with reduced voltage and some cannot. If there are no stability issues then it will perform exactly the same, with the exception of reduced heat and increased battery life for the low voltage kernel.
That's the general jist, but not 100% accurate. You can also get into an "error correction" state due to too little voltage where the phone may heat up and/or have some lag, but is otherwise "stable" in terms of whether or not apps crash/FC.

vmspionage

Reaction score
That's the general jist, but not 100% accurate. You can also get into an "error correction" state due to too little voltage where the phone may heat up and/or have some lag, but is otherwise "stable" in terms of whether or not apps crash/FC.
true, good point

OP
dberezin

dberezin

Reaction score
So I kinda had the right idea when I said that apps can "struggle" because of the lower voltage. By struggle, I mean in the form of lagging and possibly the CPU heating up because of overworking itself (not getting enough voltage). Neither the LV or the SV that came with the ROM have been unstable - I've gotten no FC's.

Just a matter of playing around with them.

wingdo

Reaction score
SetCPU and the Gem settings do the same thing essentially, setcpu just gives you the option of having profiles. SetCPU will override Gem so there is no harm either way whether you turn it off in gem or not.

SetCPU also gives you the opportunity to overwrite the default "advanced" settings. These are the settings which determine how often the CPU is polled and at what load level the speeds will ramp up. Some kernels vary wildly in those numbers. Just in cvpcs's kernels I've seen some "on demands" revert to a 50% load before ramping up to a higher speed, and other on demands are set to 93%.

dfabbeb

Reaction score

That makes sense. Is there any way of determining that this is happening, though? Any particular stress test that would show it?

SDraconis

Reaction score
From the SkullOne's Overclocking 101 thread:
If the kernel has a voltage in one or more of the seven slots that is too low for your phone, you will get overheating from the OMAP3430's ECC module kicking in to fix data read/write errors.
Do we currently have a good way to determine if/when this is occurring, or is it just watching for high temps and lag together at unexpected times?

I, at present, have found no way to monitor the ECC kicking in. So lag and heat are currently our only signs.

OP
dberezin

dberezin

Reaction score
I switched back to the SV 250-800 (from the LV 250-800) after I started this thread. My personal, non-scientific observations has shown that my Droid seems to run cooler and be a little "snappier". I just unplugged from my wall charger this morning and SetCPU shows my battery at 73.4 degrees and OMAP3 Temp at 68 degrees.

My temperatures tend to stay down with the SV kernel.

I also begrudgingly switched from Launcher Pro Plus (I paid for the app) to ADW Launcher. For some reason, I was getting a LOT of home screen redraws and with ADW with System Persistent selected, this is not happening. But that's a topic for another thread...