Using TB instead of cable modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droosh

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a TB (or similar upcoming LTE phone), rooting, and using wireless tethering 24/7 to replace my cable ISP modem which connects my TiVos, laptops, wii, etc to the internet. I would then "cut the cord" and eliminate my cable/home internet bill.

What do you think? Will the wifi broadcasting radiation kill me? Is there a device out there that can tether to the Thunderbolt's wifi broadcast and amplify it? I assume any wireless N access point would do? Is there a networking device that could link it to an ethernet router to support my wired network devices?

In case we have different ethics where this is concerned...

I wouldn't pay for the tethering plan. I'd root MY DEVICE and tether for free. I view Verizon Wireless as a "dumb pipe". I pay them for this unlimited access like my cable ISP and it's not their business what devices I run through the pipe.

Let's just say this is hypothetical or for "network testing purposes" for the point of this discussion.

If not here, where is the best forum for this type of question?
Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

xashaffer

Reaction score
Depends on how much you will use it. While the plan says "unlimited", its not really unlimited. Under their fair use policy, if you fall within the top 5% of highest usage, they have the right to cap your data usage and/or speed.

moosc

Reaction score
yes and any thing over 5gb they start watching u. and i don't see the speeds being fast enough for home use. And legally if you.want to to tether its free for 2 months then 20$ to tether for 2gb.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm sure you could, but the question is will it effect you once they start throttling you?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hypothetical?

Yea, right....

:closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.