Verizon getting rid of contracts and making changes to data plans Aug 13

realjet

Reaction score
I'm under contract until April 2016. Does this mean I won't be under contract after the 13th?

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
It shouldn't effect you until your contract is over. And if doesn't effect you it probably legacy privileges Verizon allow you to keep '"if it does occur".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

realjet

Reaction score
It shouldn't effect you until your contract is over. And if doesn't effect you it probably legacy privileges Verizon allow you to keep '"if it does occur".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I was wanting to change carriers so I guess I'll have to wait till April 2016.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I see a class action lawsuit coming. If I am paying "full price" now for "MY" phone, it better damn well be "MY" phone, with an unlocked bootloader and no verizon /3rd party crap on it! (or at least none I cant remove) And if I choose to remove it, it shouldn't affect any future upgrades either.

This is a common misconception. When you pay full price for a device and expect the carrier to "unlock" it for you, it's not the bootloader that is being unlocked, it's the device itself, so it can be used on other networks. Then there's the other elephant in the room.... if you're expecting to use an unlocked Verizon device on another network, you're going to be a bit limited in your new carrier selection.
This is the way it's been since day one and shouldn't be a mystery to anyone.
Class action lawsuit? Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.
That said, I do agree with your line of thinking though.

S5 tap'n

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe he's referring to the bootloader and I agree with him. If I pay full price for my phone, it had better be what is now known as a Developer Edition. I ought to be able to plug it into my computer, and fastboot my way into an unlocked bootloader in a single command.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This fight with cell phones..is carrying over into the auto industry. Vzw wanting everyone locked down to better work on their network ..blah blah...

Now gm, Ford and Chrysler are trying to claim that you don't own the software ..and or the ability to alter or make any changes or maintenance to the cars pcm..

People say..we own the car..we do what we want..and just like smart phones..it goes back n forth..it'll get tighter now..now that hackers hacked that jeep a while back..now the auto makers will make it a matter of public safety to lock down your vehicle..so that means big bucks for them if you change the diffs on your jacked up 4x4, or tire size or you want different shift points than what the factory has to offer on a tow haul vehicle..

You can on most vehicles buy a tool for 3-500 to modify these tunings and fuel mapping..

If they get their way..this will all go away and be under lock n key

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If I pay full price for my phone, it had better be what is now known as a Developer Edition. I ought to be able to plug it into my computer, and fastboot my way into an unlocked bootloader in a single command.

Unfortunately that will never happen, and that's why they release specific "developer edition" devices.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
People say..we own the car..we do what we want..and just like smart phones..it goes back n forth..it'll get tighter now..now that hackers hacked that jeep a while back..now the auto makers will make it a matter of public safety to lock down your vehicle..

There's also the issue that they lease a ton of vehicles and it could be a real problem if it isn't locked down.

I think there was a John Deere tractor case that already went to court over their claim to own the software and prevent mods, causing many service and use issues for farmers. The court upheld John Deere's position.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
Just got clarification from my Verizon rep, 2yr contracts WILL still be available with the new plans, but they are to be a last resort. Line access will be $40, just like now

Sent from my Verizon G4

So basically a story about nothing?

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
It is a move to get everyone have unlimited! Now even when you pay full price you have to pick one of the "new plan"...

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

When I bought my Nexus 6 directly from Motorola, all I had to do is get a new sim card. Didn't touch my account at all.

grrouchie

Reaction score
If you do edge you aren't signing a new contract right? This new plan is just a more simplified version of that is the way i was looking at it

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got clarification from my Verizon rep, 2yr contracts WILL still be available with the new plans, but they are to be a last resort. Line access will be $40, just like now

Sent from my Verizon G4
Will phone prices lose their subsidy that they now enjoy if you go the 2 year route or will that remain the same as well?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you do edge you aren't signing a new contract right? This new plan is just a more simplified version of that is the way i was looking at it
I think their idea is that without a contract, there is no $350 etf so if you leave, you won't be charged that fee. But if you still owe on your edge phone, you will get charged the remaining balance. Verizon stands to do better with this idea because if you still owe $500 on that phone with the edge plan, you will be responsible for paying that back. They are $150 ahead in that example. I'm just speculating here but I'm sure that would be a requirement. I wonder if they would give someone the option of returning the phone instead of paying off the balance?

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think their idea is that without a contract, there is no $350 etf so if you leave, you won't be charged that fee. But if you still owe on your edge phone, you will get charged the remaining balance. Verizon stands to do better with this idea because if you still owe $500 on that phone with the edge plan, you will be responsible for paying that back. They are $150 ahead in that example. I'm just speculating here but I'm sure that would be a requirement. I wonder if they would give someone the option of returning the phone instead of paying off the balance?

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk
When I was on Edge plan they had the option to return the phone in pristine (like new) condition and the remaining balance would be voided. They also had an option if you left Verizon you could pay it off in full, turn it in as mentioned , or continue to make the monthly payment. I'd already paid my Note2 off when I left but that would've been nice to do when I went to T-Mobile so as not to need to buy a new phone or turn anything in to be with them. I'm pretty sure they did away with all options except pay it off fully in 1 lump sum, becoming like AT&T and T-Mobile in that regard.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4