Very unhappy after JB update, lots of lag

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I didnt even know there was an update until yesterday. I was on stock ICS, was fairly happy with that. I had never been prompted that there was an update. Went to "about phone" and found the update and installed. After the install my phone as been EXTREMELY laggy, freezing up, apps timing out, needing to close, force quitting things, things like Chrome browser that were had any issues with with ICS.

I HATED the Bionic on GB. Once ICS came out it actually was pleasant to use and I wasnt ready to toss it against the wall every day. Now Im about back to that point. Can I go backwards to ICS?? Or can I root and install some leaned down rom? I used to have about 500mb+ of free ram with ICS. With JB its only about 350 after a fresh reboot. Not sure if thats part of it or what. Id think even with 350mb ram free it should run better than this.

I dont stream anything, I dont run any widgets, NOTHING had changed in usage from ICS to JB, yet the phone is very very laggy.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Mine had similar issues... Then I did a cache clear in recovery (non rooted) and a battery pull ... Now I love it to death... Real sweet running update

Also... You may have an app/apps that aren't compatible with JB that are bogging you down... Might be a good time to clean house and clear cache and do a battery pull reboot ... See how that goes before throwing in the towel.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My Bionic is awesome on JB. A few minor issues at first...but I shut it off pulled the battery for 3 minutes tinted out on again and its better than ICS.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Even if you don't do a factory reset it takes a day or two, a reboot or two, and a battery pull or two, for the phone to settle into the new OS. Give it at least 48 hours.

Reaction score
Should always do a factory reset after update

I agree. I did an FDR via recovery and reinstalled just the apps I will use. I'm rooted so I froze all bloat, including nearly all VZW crap. Phone is running really nice right now. It was running like poo on ICS.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree. I did an FDR via recovery and reinstalled just the apps I will use. I'm rooted so I froze all bloat, including nearly all VZW crap. Phone is running really nice right now. It was running like poo on ICS.

Captain, flash the deodexed jb file using safe strap and just delete all the bloat. Works much better and it frees some space in your phone

roadpizza73

Reaction score
Should always do a factory reset after update

Not intending a troll post, but "always" seems like rather drastic advice.

With 4 bionics in this family through 2 major updates I've not found FDR at all necessary or all that useful, at least with regards to Android version upgrades.

That said, i have on two other occasions found it helpful, as big a PITA as out is.

Jes sayin' ;-)

DoctorV

Reaction score
Have the steps to clearing cache changed recently? I'm following these steps:

1) Power down
2) Boot into Recovery by pressing Power, Vol Up & Down simultaneously
3) Vol Down for Recovery, then Vol Up
4) When the Android appears, press Vol Up & Down simultaneously
5) Vol Down to "Wipe Cache Partition"
6) Press Power
7) When cache is cleared and done, press Power to reboot

When I get to step 4 I hit both volume Up and Down
simultaneously when I see the Android lying down with the red exclamation mark but nothing happens. The phone eventually just reboots itself. Am I doing something wrong or did these steps to clear the cache change?

Bacchus224

Reaction score
Have the steps to clearing cache changed recently? I'm following these steps:

1) Power down
2) Boot into Recovery by pressing Power, Vol Up & Down simultaneously
3) Vol Down for Recovery, then Vol Up
4) When the Android appears, press Vol Up & Down simultaneously
5) Vol Down to "Wipe Cache Partition"
6) Press Power
7) When cache is cleared and done, press Power to reboot

When I get to step 4 I hit both volume Up and Down simultaneously when I see the Android lying down with the red exclamation mark but nothing happens. The phone eventually just reboots itself. Am I doing something wrong or did these steps to clear the cache change?

I had the same problem. Are you pressing and releasing or pressing and holding? Pressing and releasing seemed to be key for me. I will say that the process seems more finicky at this step then I remember.

DoctorV

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Are you pressing and releasing or pressing and holding? Pressing and releasing seemed to be key for me. I will say that the process seems more finicky at this step then I remember.
Thank you! I got it to work. Yeah I was holding for a second or two and then releasing. I tried it again by trying very quick simultaneous button presses but it took about 3-4 presses before it registered.

I will note that on the last attempt that made it work it seemed as though both buttons were not pressed in at the same exact time; they were a split second apart but I'm not sure which button was hit first. I'm wondering if the trick is to Volume Up and then Volume Down really quickly or vice versa.

zebo51

Reaction score

Is root lost when a factory data reset is done?

In ICS mine had gotten really slow and bad. I was about to do a reset as it was great on ICS at first. Then went ahead and just did the manual JB a few weeks ago. While at times it seems better it still at times lags a lot. I have done several battery pulls and a cache wipe. I have also changed the transition times to .5 in developer options.

Thanks

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I HATED the Bionic on GB. Once ICS came out it actually was pleasant to use and I wasnt ready to toss it against the wall every day. Now Im about back to that point. Can I go backwards to ICS?? Or can I root and install some leaned down rom? I used to have about 500mb+ of free ram with ICS. With JB its only about 350 after a fresh reboot. Not sure if thats part of it or what. Id think even with 350mb ram free it should run better than this.

Free RAM doesn't make your system run any smoother. Android natively frees up RAM as it's needed, and chip based memory (such as solid state drives, flash drives, and volatile memory[IE RAM]) do not suffer from fragmentation like disk based memory does. The only reason RAM would be an issue, would be if Android didn't kill unused apps on it's own, and suddenly your device was trying to access say, 1500 MB of data when you've only got a gig of RAM.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Free RAM doesn't make your system run any smoother. Android natively frees up RAM as it's needed, and chip based memory (such as solid state drives, flash drives, and volatile memory[IE RAM]) do not suffer from fragmentation like disk based memory does. The only reason RAM would be an issue, would be if Android didn't kill unused apps on it's own, and suddenly your device was trying to access say, 1500 MB of data when you've only got a gig of RAM.

well regardless, Im still having issues with JB. Ive done everything mentioned in this thread, didnt help. Even after a fresh reboot my phone is still laggy. I rooted the phone once through Ubuntu, but not knowing that bootstrap was old news, I installed it and immediately bricked my phone. i was able to flash and recover it thanks to house of bionic, and i havent re-rooted to try a different rom yet. I would be interested in the deodexed (sp?) version of JB installed in safestrap.

M son had a bionic, still on ICS, but he upgraded to a Note 2. Ive used his old bionic a bit and its noticably better than mine. And oddly enough a guy I work with has a bionic. He said after he took the update to JB his phone started ramdonly rebooting and was almost unusable. VZW gave him a replacement Razr.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Yeah that's because it wasn't optimized as well as it could have been. But it's not a hardware issue, since it was working for with a different software.

I've been running LiquidSmooth on my Bionic, and I'm pretty content with it. Nitro is supposed to be working on a new version of Eclipse for JB, so that will probably be the ROM to install once it's released. Just make sure you use Safe Strap as your recovery if you decide to flash custom ROMs this time around.