Video - Intel's Atom Z2460 Gets Taken Through it's Paces at CTIA 2012

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;7DqCgxLoaeo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqCgxLoaeo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

We got a chance to see Intels Atom processor in action on UK carrier Orange's new Orange Smartphone. The processor is very zippy and renders HD video perfectly. This handset didn't stutter or slow down throughout the whole day. I took it through it's paces in the morning and came back in the afternoon to have Ben demo the phone. It performed just as flawless. The features that the processor will afford the manufactures is pretty impressive as well. Keep in mind, Intel will not be designing the hardware around their chip. That will be left to the discretion of the manufacturers. Intel only provides a reference design to the manufactures to best showcase the chip and it is up to them, the manufactures, to decide which way to go with their hardware.

I got a chance to speak with a gentleman in Intel's Marketing department, and he told me that handsets in the US utilizing the Atom will not be released until 2013 sometime. Unfortunately, manufacturer and US carrier are unknown at this time.

Take a look at the Atom in action and get a good look at features that the processor will offer handset manufacturers.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Everyone is pushing dual core/quad core. I think Intel is doing it right by taking their time and producing a quality chip for handsets. My DroidX wont' last another year so I won't get one when it comes out, but I will be keeping an eye on them none the less. And hey, its Intel. They have more than enough experience in the CPU industry.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how this Atom was able to render 3D graphics so well, and then I looked it up and realized it uses a PowerVR SGX 540 instead of the crappy Intel GMA. Seems like Intel should have gone with a PowerVR solution for its netbooks as well, since those are almost incapable of playing 3D games.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
THAT PHONE ON GB WITH SINGLE CORE RUNS SMOOTHER THAN PHONES RUNNING ICS WITH DUAL CORE. If news hold up about motorola teaming up with intel for a us release man my interest will be peaked.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
pc747 said:
THAT PHONE ON GB WITH SINGLE CORE RUNS SMOOTHER THAN PHONES RUNNING ICS WITH DUAL CORE. If news hold up about motorola teaming up with intel for a us release man my interest will be peaked.

I've been salivating about just that... things could get pretty exciting!!!!

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
pc747 said:

This is true. Nice observation :)