VZW's Skype Application available March 25th.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Good news for those waiting for Skype.

Phonescoop has reported that the application will be available March 25th.

Here's the article:

Today Verizon Wireless announced that its new Skype application for smartphones will be available starting March 25. The application will offer free Skype-to-Skype calling over Verizon's CDMA network, in additional to cheaper international calls. Customers need a Verizon Wireless smartphone and data plan to use Skype mobile. Skype-to-Skype calls will not be charged against their monthly minute allowances or data plans.

It will initially be available for the BlackBerry Storm 9530, Storm2 9550, Curve 8330, Curve 8530, 8830 World Edition, and Tour 9630 smartphones, as well as the Motorola Droid and Devour and HTC Eris.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
You beat me to it! I was about to start a thread but figured I'd do a search first :)

solorca

Reaction score
Wow...it won't even use your data plan? That's crazy.

I appreciate Verizon doing this, but I am a little surprised that they are taking this step.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Wow...it won't even use your data plan? That's crazy.

I appreciate Verizon doing this, but I am a little surprised that they are taking this step.

It will "use" your data plan in the sense that a data plan is "required."

Skype mobile for Verizon Wireless Available Thursday - Yahoo! Finance

"Customers need a Verizon Wireless smartphone and data plan to use Skype mobile. Skype-to-Skype calls will not be charged against their monthly minute allowances or data plans. Verizon Wireless customers can visit www.skype.com to purchase Skype Credit to make Skype Out calls and make calls to international landline or mobile numbers."

choklitcow

Reaction score
Has there been any information as to why Verizon is for this? From a company that is pretty infamous for controlling/routing so much through their paid services, it is interesting that they are allowing their smartphone users to have free communication with each other.

My only assumption is that they think it is such a small amount of the market that it will not impact their bottom line, however as more and more people upgrade I can see this service going away quickly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up CK.

When I was a kid I remember going to Disneyland and they had a demo of this thing in Futureland called a Picture Phone. And they predicted it would be available in the 1970's. This was like in the early 60's. I'm dating myself, but it's true.

Little bit off on the prediction but it did actually arrive. I also thought by 2010 we'd have flying cars.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Has there been any information as to why Verizon is for this? From a company that is pretty infamous for controlling/routing so much through their paid services, it is interesting that they are allowing their smartphone users to have free communication with each other.

My only assumption is that they think it is such a small amount of the market that it will not impact their bottom line, however as more and more people upgrade I can see this service going away quickly.

Karl Bode over at DSLReports claims its not as "open" as you might think...

Crippled 'Exclusive' Verizon Skype App Drops On Thursday - Complete with a long list of annoying restrictions! - dslreports.com

joehmayfield

Reaction score

Karl Bode over at DSLReports claims its not as "open" as you might think...

Crippled 'Exclusive' Verizon Skype App Drops On Thursday - Complete with a long list of annoying restrictions! - dslreports.com

ok, that guy is an idiot. hey i've got a a droid and you do too. and now instead of google talking, use skype for im's to blackberry users and such at no extra cost. or call a skype number in the u.s. for no extra cost. or pay less for an international calls from skype. i think verizon is giving us a break, and the less calls that are going thru the international carriers the less vzw pays to them. smart move for all vzw users. the author of the article is complaining because he probably has an iphone and will only be able to make calls thru wifi thru skype. sucks for him, but for us and vzw blackberrys, very nice!!!

snowman

Reaction score
hookbill I remember well , I worked construction (steel) at Disney Fl. when it was built, also worked complex 39 at Kennedy first Space shuttle was about to be built they were building the last of the Gemini Rockets.
but yes remeber this revealed at space mountain while waiting in line the picture phone, it's a bit late but here
good stuff

Arcolog2

Reaction score
This is very exciting news! I have alot of buddies still overseas and I feel guilty when they have to waste their skype cash calling me to say whats up since I am never at my computer at the times they try to call.

Being able to just stay logged into skype on my phone and do free skype to skype will be awesome!

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong but wont this only benefit people calling other skype users internationally? I mean they (vzw) arent really that crazy in the fact that you will still need a phone service and a data plan to make the phone calls, its not like you can get verizons data only plan which they started recently and not have to pay for the normal phones activity.

Like you can with SipDroid/Gizmo5/ and Google Voice making phone calls without having to have to pay for a monthly talk plan (which is possible). Dont get me wrong this is an awesome thing that vzw is finally opening to everyone just not sure other than international calling how it affects people around the country.

ktranger

Reaction score
ok, that guy is an idiot. hey i've got a a droid and you do too. and now instead of google talking, use skype for im's to blackberry users and such at no extra cost. or call a skype number in the u.s. for no extra cost. or pay less for an international calls from skype. i think verizon is giving us a break, and the less calls that are going thru the international carriers the less vzw pays to them. smart move for all vzw users. the author of the article is complaining because he probably has an iphone and will only be able to make calls thru wifi thru skype. sucks for him, but for us and vzw blackberrys, very nice!!!

I agree, there is a valid business reason for Verizon to do this... otherwise they would not and you may have found it. ;) As a skype user I am looking foward to this release.

Ralph :motdroidhoriz:

schellbl

Reaction score
I guess I'm trying to understand how this will work since the camera is on the back of the screen. Won't it be hard to see the person you are skyping?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Quick question. If one has a paid Skype account does that mean that I can then call landlines and cellphones using this over 3G? In essence bypassing voice talk minutes and using Skype to call anyone that is not on the Verizon network?