Water Damage?

faeryfyre

Reaction score
So, I dropped my phone in the [clean!] toilet a few days ago... oops. Left it in rice for around 36 hours, then took it out, wiped off the rice residue and turned it on. Everything works fine - I received texts, calls, was able to lock/unlock and change volume, notification light, charging; everything except for that the display doesn't work. I can feel the mini vibrations from selecting apps and though accidentally I was able to call my brother without seeing what I was doing... I figure there's probably water under the screen or something. Now my brother told me way back when he broke his Blackberry Curve by leaving it out in the snow, but was able to take the sides off and drain the water after leaving it in rice, which caused the screen to work again. Is there something like this I can do (I believe I'm perfectly able to unscrew the front band around the screen?) or do I need a new phone completely?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I can feel the mini vibrations from selecting apps and though accidentally I was able to call my brother without seeing what I was doing... I figure there's probably water under the screen or something.

This sounds like the digitizer is bad. This is something that some people have changed out. You'd just have to find the right part. Otherwise, I say the phone won't work again :frown:

OP
F

faeryfyre

Reaction score
This sounds like the digitizer is bad. This is something that some people have changed out. You'd just have to find the right part. Otherwise, I say the phone won't work again :frown:
All the touch functions seem to work, only the screen is black.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
From all the problems I've seen about this, it's always been a bad digitizer that was the cause. Wish I could find some similar posts about what you're talking about. But they are in this forum somewhere.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
From all the problems I've seen about this, it's always been a bad digitizer that was the cause. Wish I could find some similar posts about what you're talking about. But they are in this forum somewhere.

Wouldn't it be a bad LCD? The digitizer is working fine. That is the glass, the part that "digitizes" the actions made on the screen. :). The LCD isn't working since nothing is getting displayed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
F

faeryfyre

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a bad LCD? The digitizer is working fine. That is the glass, the part that "digitizes" the actions made on the screen. :). The LCD isn't working since nothing is getting displayed.
Can I replace the LCD?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You could be right. But every post I've seen about feeling the haptic feedback & not being able to see the screen has been about a bad digitizer.

Faeryfyre,

If there's a place that fixes cellphones around you, you could take it in & ask them. The should be able to order the parts, perform the work & give you an estimate.

dwz07

Reaction score
Well a few friends and I had a heck of a night last night. I ended up in a pool with my beloved RAZR in my pocket :icon_eek: when i got out the trooper was still on. The events are foggy after that but I put it in a bag of rice and intend to keep it there for the rest of the day keeping my fingers crossed that it turns back on...

So my question is: Can VZW detect if the phone has been damaged by water if it doesn't fire back up?

Previous phones with removable batteries had that little spot that turns a different color if it has been exposed to water but obviously we don't have that proverbial removable battery; so save sending the phone off to MOTOsuckOROLA for "repair" are they going to know I took it for a swim?

Any input/thoughts would be appreciated!

-sent from a PC because I'm afraid to touch my drowned RAZR :icon_eek:-

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I would be shocked if there wasn't a water mark stamp in the phone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well a few friends and I had a heck of a night last night. I ended up in a pool with my beloved RAZR in my pocket :icon_eek: when i got out the trooper was still on. The events are foggy after that but I put it in a bag of rice and intend to keep it there for the rest of the day keeping my fingers crossed that it turns back on...

So my question is: Can VZW detect if the phone has been damaged by water if it doesn't fire back up?

Previous phones with removable batteries had that little spot that turns a different color if it has been exposed to water but obviously we don't have that proverbial removable battery; so save sending the phone off to MOTOsuckOROLA for "repair" are they going to know I took it for a swim?

Any input/thoughts would be appreciated!

-sent from a PC because I'm afraid to touch my drowned RAZR :icon_eek:-

Yes, there are several Red XXX watercolor detectors inside that if they get wet, the XXXs bleed into one big RED square or wash out altogether.

dags5000

Reaction score
If you open up back there is one or more water damage indicator holes that are red and white pattern if no damage but turn all red with damage. Happened in my OG and they knew

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait thought the razr is h2o friendly ..

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

dwz07

Reaction score
It's H20 resistant :p not submerged swimming pool friendly! haha

Dags: I figured there were those marks on the inside of the phone but that's just it; on the INSIDE. I'd assume that VZW isn't going to open the phone to check for that right? I do know what they say about assumptions though..

If I take it to them and tell them it just ceased to function and they gave me a new one from that point it's on them if MOTO comes back and says "that phone went for a swim it's not covered blah blah blah". I can't see them REPOing the new phone they gave me; if they tried I'd raise a big stink saying VZW must have sabotaged it! Lawyers involved at that point? I'd say yes.